update on wrecked pathy

DSM_guy

well, on monday we had the pathy towed over to the body shop, and about mid week the insurance adjuster came out to asess the damages. we just heard back today that they are actually TOTALING it! there was talk of ordering a new door for the rear, so i guess they didnt wanna/couldent fix that by pulling the dents. and a few other things. they didnt give the full rundown yet, but they said all told it was $5000 worth of damage...so i guess there was alot that i didnt see or something. but they are giving us $7000 for it which was more than we figured on. its a 98 XE with 150K miles on her. so now mom is driving MY pathy for a bit, and we are gonna go down after the holidays and put down a payment on a new beetle which my mom has wanted REALLY bad since they first came out.

i just cant believe it was totalled with seemingly so little damage. i mean of course i felt real bad about it, but i guess the only upside was that mom got a bit more out of the car than she thought....and now she can get the car she REALLY wants. no offense to the pathy, and she loved it to death, but that was more my fathers decision...not hers. and her gas bills will go down substantially now.

only 7k for a 98????!?!?!? whhaaa??? Are u sure thats right dude? I know american insurance companies are skimpy but jeeze!! those things sell for MINIMUM of 10k here (CAD of course, so work that out to USD on your own)... ur getting screwed with man. I think I'd fight it. but thats just me.

only 7k for a 98????!?!?!? whhaaa??? Are u sure thats right dude? I know american insurance companies are skimpy but jeeze!! those things sell for MINIMUM of 10k here (CAD of course, so work that out to USD on your own)... ur getting screwed with man. I think I'd fight it. but thats just me.

Did the Buy & Sell search bit for BC, avareage for 98 Pathy is about $13,000 asking (CDN).

$7,000 (US) seems a bit low. Why do you think it is more than what you were expecting?

Yeah, y'know when you're looking up stuff on Kellys Blue Book, they give you 3 choices for prices. The private party value, the trade-in value and the retail value.

I also did a quick lookup to get a general idea for a 1998 XE with 150k miles in Eastern WA.(99201) I was surprised to say the least.

For trade-in value, they quoted it at only $3700 and thats in EXCELLENT condition. In GOOD condition, it said $3235!!! :blink:

For private-party value, it quoted EXCELLENT condition at $5655 and GOOD condition at $5090. :blink:

And retail value of the car is at $7660. I entered an East coast zip code and it gave me retail at $7125. So I don't think you guys got a bad deal at all IMO. XE's are not worth as much as SE's.

Quick search on an SE with the same mileage and zip code quoted it at $9195 retail. My 1998 SE with 94k was quoted at $11,275 retail. :blink:

If I were you, I'd be happy with the $7k. P...

Edited by DJ Dank

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Word to the wise - get the insurance company's responses in writing if possible, via either email or fax. State Farm told me and the body shop owner that they were going to total my daughter's '94, and that 3 days after they settled, they would stop paying for her rental car. As she is 1,000 miles from home, I beat feet to get her a replacement vehicle.

After I bought another Pathfinder for her, State farm then decided to fix her damage. They then told me tough luck, we never gave it to you in writing. I managed to sell the '94 for a decent price, but it taught me a lesson about insurance claims.

NADA is valuing that vehicle on the east coast at $5000 to $7000.

http://www.nadaguides.com/uv/selectmodeltr...30&yr=1998&da=0

Edited by Grumpy

several of you guys forget...it was rolled. sure, you can sell a prefectly good pathy for anwhere from 7-10,000 $'s...but thats a GOOD pathy. and yeah, i believe they give you what a dealer would pay you for it...so thats why we were expect ALOT lower. so no...7K isnt bad. you wreck and car and the value is gonna plummet. as far as buying it back..eh. she just wants her new lil car and i have enough already.

The insurance is for the value of the vehicle before the damage... I'd take $7k for my 95XE with 115k on it, then buy it back and have a field day... *sigh* Wishful thinking... I'm glad mom got what she wanted, that will keep everyone happy... ;)

B

several of you guys forget...it was rolled. sure, you can sell a prefectly good pathy for anwhere from 7-10,000 $'s...but thats a GOOD pathy. and yeah, i believe they give you what a dealer would pay you for it...so thats why we were expect ALOT lower. so no...7K isnt bad. you wreck and car and the value is gonna plummet. as far as buying it back..eh. she just wants her new lil car and i have enough already.

I thought you only put it on its side. I did not realise that you rolled it.

I'd also say, never take what the insurance co. "decides" the first time around. Be difficult if its important to you, challenge their claim, whatever. Its your money. But, that's if its worth it to you I guess.

On a side note, isn't it intersting to see what the value of the same vehicle is in different parts of the country? Oh, and congrats on your mother being happy. That's an important thing in life for a guy. :)

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I am certain that I saw an "official" price for a rear hatch at a whopping $1100...this was a "deal" as it was being presented!! Anywho if you want the truck fight MR Pickles is right!!! I have a yard near me that has a hatch...it is green and it was an SE...let me know I will do what I can to get it for you. :aok:

many ins companies use a 70% rule. If your estimate goes over 70% of the fair market value, it's totaled even though they are on the hook to cover the entire value. That 'cheapness' allows them to absorb variations in body shops and suppliments submitted (which always happens cause they lowball initially so they can pay the exact amount via suppliment rather than overpay initially). I argued mine and worked with the adjuster to 'leave some things off' so they wouldn't total it. When the work was done, the suppliment added all of those missing thigns back in and I got her fixed for just under market value (which was about 2K over what the 'totalled' line was).

The other option (at least in PA) is to let them total it and pay you the fair market value. Then buy it from them for a hundred bucks or so, retitle it as a 'salvage' vehicke, and use the payout to fix it on your own or find a cheap shop to fix just the basics.

:sniff: sorry to hear about the death of the pathy, but glad no one was killed and moms gets her dream machine out of it all

*grabs wrenches n tools n sneaks into yard where the wrecked pathy is kept* :hide: