no spark need help

*Night_Ryda*

Hey guys, sorry for being away for so long. Anyway, here is the situation. I ran my truck completely out of gas in front of my buddy's place now she won’t start.-thnkboutit- She'll turn over, but I later checked and I'm not getting any spark. Here's what I know so you don't have to ask and or guess. Fuel pump is working correctly; I have a new battery, spark plugs, and distributor cap. I tend to think it’s either my spark plugs, or distributor, but I'm no mechanic and these are just guesses. With any luck maybe one of you guys will know what’s up, or can at least guide me on how to check what the problem really is. thnx

Check that there's spark coming from the coil. It's in behind the distributor. Might be worth a shot. Check the connections to, and from it. ALso, there's a little grey box in behind that (can't remember the name of it right now) but I had an issue once where mine wouldn't start and the connection to that little grey box was loose.

Edited by Simon

Well, I checked my coil with a volt meter, I get 12v before the coil and slightly less after it, I duno if that checks out as being ok or not, but I'll be sure to check the connections to and from it, along with that gray box next time I see my truck.

u're sure u ran out of gas and didn’t break a timing belt?
Yep, I’m dead sure I ran out of gas, It was parked in my garage with next to no gas left so I poured in the rest of the gas that’s supposed to be for my snow blower (btw my snow blower only gets premium gas) and that was barley enough to get me to my buddy’s place. I idled it on his street while we moved cars out of his driveway so we could put her into the garage and she just died on me in the process. In any case yes I did pull a plug wire to check and I get nothing, but I'll go ahead and check the timing belt anyway just to be safe.

Are you saying you checked the output line of the coil (goes to the distributor ?) with a volt meter and only got 12 votls coming out ? It should be more like 15,000 volts, and thats NOT how you want to test it !! Tell me I misunderstood... :unsure:

Do you have an Ohmmeter ?

B

not owning a snow blower but it is a 4 cycle motor right and not where u mixed 93 and oil for a 2 cycle?...i've also heard if u run a tank dry and have trash in there and refill it it'll clog up the filter in the tank

maybe try changing fuel filter out side of tank 1st?

or even better yet i dont think its that cold yet but maybe the gas solidified (froze)?

To tell the honest truth I was not the one to test with the volt meter, so I couldn’t tell you exactly how my friend ended up reading 12v before the coil and slightly less after the coil. When he told me that it did sound pretty odd, but in any case, if you know the correct way to test if it’s the coil, I'd be more then happy to go and try it your way.

not owning a snow blower..................................... but maybe the gas solidified (froze)?
Yep, she’s a four stroke, no oil in the mix, and certainly there was no crud in the gas I added. Once we pushed her up into the garage checking the fuel flow was #1 on my to do list, seeing as how my fuel pump had gone haywire on me just the previous month. (Corroded ground wire kept blowing fuses for me) Anyway everything checked out, my only problem is not getting a spark. I'm pretty confused actually. Lets say even if it is my distributor, spark plug wires, or coil, they all worked just fine before the running out of gas incident what would be preventing them from working now?

Would a quick and dirty way of checking for spark off the coil not be to unplug the coil wire at the distrtibutor cap and lay it along side something conductive and check for the spark to jump from the end of the wire to the metal source?

I essentially do this on my motorsickle when I trouble shoot iggy problems there.

M

Ok, so what have you tried ? For lack of better answers... pull a plug, put the wire on it and hold to/near the motor. If you get a fat blue spark or a zap good enough to inspire the macarena, your coil is fine. That would mean distributor on down... Any answers are helpful. :unsure:

B

i assume you have checked all ignition related connections? checked yer battery? how old are yer plug wires..plugs...dissy cap n rotor?? alternator been tested? checked the t-belt? changed the fuel filter and filled her up with gas? sssh

Personally, I see no reason whatsoever for the ignition system to have spontaneously failed when it ran out of gas. I'd pull the output hose from the fuel filter, stick on a longer piece of hose, put a bucket under it and make sure there's fuel pressure still. If not, you know where to look next.

Fuel pumps have a bad habit of dying if you run your tank out of gas. Since fuel cools the pump as it runs (because it's running 100% of the time the engine is running), without any fuel the pump overheats...and it's been running for over 100,000 miles already, hasn't it?

Personally, I see no reason whatsoever for the ignition system to have spontaneously failed when it ran out of gas. I'd pull the output hose from the fuel filter, stick on a longer piece of hose, put a bucket under it and make sure there's fuel pressure still. If not, you know where to look next.

Fuel pumps have a bad habit of dying if you run your tank out of gas. Since fuel cools the pump as it runs (because it's running 100% of the time the engine is running), without any fuel the pump overheats...and it's been running for over 100,000 miles already, hasn't it?

88 makes a very valid point. It does not take much to kill a fuel pump at all.

I did not give the running out of juice a second thought.

Good job old man.