Buying a used Pathfinder

prginocx

I will use it for light towing (1600 lbs) and as a primary transportation. I will get a MANUAL tranny. What year ranges are the best reliability ? I'm planning on buying an older one and rebuild the engine. What persistent problems, other than the Exhaust Manifold, should I look out for ?

I will be getting the V6 engine also...Is the 3.0 L all they offer ?

Welcome to the board prospective pathfinder owner! WAVEY

From 87-95 yes the 3 liter V6 was the only V6 option. In 1990 the fuel injection set up was changed resulting in a boost of horsepower and torque, 145hp to 155hp to be exact. There was also a 2.4 liter inline 4 and (not in the US or Canada) an inline 4 turbo diesel.

You won't have to rebuild the engine. In no way will that be neccesary, we have a member here who has over 500k miles on the original engine. No matter what year you choose they are all very reliable.

Some other problems to be aware of: rust issues (this may or may not be a factor depending on where you live), under the rear seats and under the gas pedal are typical problem areas.

Find out when the last time the timing belt was changed, it should be changed every 60,000 miles or so. These are interference type engines so if the timing belt breaks there will be damage done to the heads.

Starter problems, most pathfinders are getting to the age where the starter fails. If the truck doesn't start try whacking the starter with a hammer that usually displaces the carbon build up and allows the starter to work for a little bit, but it will need to be replaced if that is the case.

Other than that just make sure that the previous owner changed the oil regularly, and treated it nice.

Heres basically what I said in a little more depth:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.com/BuyaPathy.htm

Also good things to look for are:

Limited slip rear diff, rear disc brakes, factory 31x10.5 r15 wheels and tires.

Transworldmoto is selling his pathfinder if you want one that has already had some serious work done to it and are near San Jose CA. Check it out in the vehicles for sale section of the board.

In 1996, they were upgraded with the 3.3L V6. More power, more displacement...newer model as well.

You can get a 1996-1998 in XE trim with the Sport package, and it will have many of the SE options, as well as a Limited Slip diff and a manual transmission. They're not much more expensive than a 95 either, and they look more modern.

Important notes are that the post 95 (r50)models are unibody as opposed to a full frame the pre96 (WD21) have. If you choose to go with a WD21, try to get a 94 or 95 as the timing belt schedule is every 105k miles as opposed to 60k miles for 93 and earlier. Here in Cali, U have seen quite a few WD21's with under 100k miles for $5-6k... They are all quite reliable and shouldn't need much work at all.

B

Oh, welcome by the way... :beer: