question

packie88

sorta new. im still leanrign the engine and outside parts.i can do stereo adn interior wiring like a pro, but still working on my engine skills. But i was wodnering how i tell if i have a LSD(limited slip differential.)

Jack up rear of vehicle. (both tires off the ground)

Rotate one tire, while watching the other. If it rotates the same way, you have LSD. If it rotates in the opposite direction, or not at all, it's an open diff.

Be sure to chock the front tires before jacking the rears off the ground!!

:D

DO'h.....the question's been asked so many times, I thought that would have been a given....yeah....look for the orange sticker first!!! :D:beer:

Edited by Simon

Yes, but if it is something that can be answered in a sentence or two, there's no real harm either. He'll get up to speed. There certainly is no harm taking 1/2 hour to play with the search function... ;)

B

LSD=Limited Slip Differential... It has clutch plates in it which lock up (or try to) when torque is applied. This means you can get power to both wheels unlike an open diff where it is just 1 or the other. If your LSD is in good shape, you will bite with both wheels when you step on the gas. A definite plus when you need traction. It doesn't help much if one wheel is totally off the ground, but I understand applying the brake will help it hook up. Way better than open diff, not as good as a locker but far more street friendly. Still, I don't dare stomp on it taking a corner in the rain; I pirouetted across in intersection turning left once when I first bought the truck, thank god it was open and mostly empty ! Once I lost traction with both wheels, that was it. Didn't hook back up till I was damn near stopped. Good news is my LSD hooks up well and with the MT and motor running strong, I can look like an idiot any time the the traction isnt perfect. It even tries to break loose on crosswalks... :blink:

B

ahh OK i get it thanks man. and to your turning left incident. I kinda did the same thing. well i first got my truck and i wanted to test how it accelerated ex. so i flored it going left and she fishtailed like crazy me being stupid I give it gas and turn the other way. did it 3 times back and forth before i braked...yeah why didnt i do that first who knows. I like havin my lsd and i think its still in good shape

I can look like an idiot any time the the traction isnt perfect.

Good one. I'll try to remember to use it next time I do something stupid. :laugh:

But, it'll have to be in the wife's Xterra, my Pathy is open diff. :(

Honestly, the LSD does take a bit to get use to cornering in the rain. I thought it was the tires at first.

Yea I dnam near lost it once in the rain turning left onto a side street, fishtailed all over the place went into the other lane over corrected almost went off the road. :o SCARY! However if you do it right you can neatly slide into the proper lane when turning left from a side street, done that a couple of times too. -bounce-

Accelerating hard in the dirt is a fun way of testing for LSD too. ;)

LOL, thanks for sharing guys... This way I'm not the only traction challenged idiot ! :D Yeah, you can use it to get tricky at LOW speeds and off road, but I have no desire to experiment on the road with traffic at normal city speeds !!

I like havin my lsd and i think its still in good shape

Good. If you don't know when it has been done, put in some fresh oil, but make sure it has LSD additive !! 3qts of "nissan approved LSD". I can't remember what I put in now. I think it was GL-5 80w-90 with LSD additive. It's not expensive and if you take care of it, it just works better/lasts longer... ;)

B