engine replacement choices

hastifc

i swear, taking out a motor and disassembling the accessories is is like unfolding origami! nissan really had a sick sense of humor! to the people that haven't had the pleasure of this, take lots of happy pills first! to those that have, you can laugh at me now... and 88, we'll talk after i'm done tortuing myself...

oh yeah, are they joking??? i have to drop the front diff to get the motor out. huh????? stupid oil pan.... :furious: :help: -alcohol- :oops:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you enjoy those bolts on the top of the bell housing?

24" ratchet extension with a universal adapter takes care of those easily. Helps if you have a buddy to guide the socket on at first though... ;)

B

This is good news on the engines.. :beer:

Unfortunately it came 8 day's too late for me. :(

I put half down on a wrecking yard engine... grrr paying the same price for an engine with more miles than those in Lynnwood (more $$$ if I want to keep my core) :blink:

Oh well, with a little luck all will work out fine

***Also on the list for an engine pull***

i will say this much: i was surprised at how well the wiring is laid out. i started toying with the thought of a paxton style sc, but woke up to reality. i do however have an extra megasquirt brain from another project......

• 2 weeks later...

a lot of things have conspired against me, but it is coming along, just too slowly. 8 diff trips to the parts store, wife having 4 wisdom teeth yanked, fam functions.......have had to switch oil pans, dipstick location, new t belt, tomorrow the intake and then should be close to stuffing back in.

don't buy their install kit. bunch of useless gaskets for too much money. motor was very clean in the rocker area, no coking.pain in the ass for me to pull the motor, and whatever you do, don't go by the chiltons manual, it's crap.

So i read this and look all the time at the JDM motors...sometimes i think that it may be cheaper to have buddies come swap me a motor into the truck(having done t-belt and all outside of truck)then it would be to pay someone to do t-belt seals and pump........

.......the question is, with the JDM are the emissions equip any different?? 88's right that the intake is different. My crx motor came with 0 emissions equip, well, other than a PCV valve and a charcoal canister.

best bet is to swap everything over.

everyone keep their fingers crossed, gonna fire it up tonight!! also, didn't have time to mod the header, fed up with the truck right now. the headers may go up for sale if i don't feel like messing with it anymore......

• 3 weeks later...

:::Adds himself to the "swap in process" list:::

Well after repairing the doors on my garage I was able to get the Pathy in last night. Work started tonight on pulling the engine. Which was much later in the day that I had originally planned.

As of right now I still have to unbolt the tranny and the left hand exhaust pipe from the manifold. After that I can start trying to lift it out of there.

Not sure how much time I will have to spend on it over the next few day's... Hopefully I can make time though.