engine replacement choices

hastifc

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pics would be good....... I have not pulled mine yet... Everthing is disconnected down to just the Transmission.... And I know thats gonna be a blast.....

I don't have any really good pics, but I will see what I can come up with.

I am currently working on extracting the two exhaust studs that broke off in the LH head... the two of them were both on the front cylinder :shrug:

I'll take a look at the tranny again and see if I can come up with some sort of diagram for you that details the direction that I used to get to all the bolts.

Just remember a long socket extension (I bought a 20in'er) and a u-join adapter will be your best friends during this process

:lol: Here you go B

vroomvroom9xn.jpg

________vroom... vroom...

I thought something was wrong when I popped the hood only to find a man demanding beer and a fried cheese sandwich, but now that I know that I'm not the only one my fears have been relieved! :P

The extraction as a success.. so much so that I was inspired to remove all of the remaining 10 studs. :aok:

*A propane torch, hammer and patients are your friends ;)

Tomorrow I will see if I can track down replacements. Any advice? I have never had tyo replace exhaust studes before sooo.. should I wait till Monday and go directly to the dealer for Nissan parts, is what the parts stores have of equal quality?

rear main seal leak was not the seal after all. seems the rear main seal retainer is not shaped the same from oil pan to oil pan. be very anal when doing an engine swap.... waiting on a new retainer from dealer to replace the one that went to scrappers before i realized the prob... oooops.

on that note, i am officially over budget and underfunded. anyone looking for thorley headers? new, test fit, never run. fits 89 vg30 standard, auto with massaging of collector. 350.00 + shipping new, now 300.00 + shipping. out of time, patience, and positive attitude.

• 2 weeks later...

after 2 months and lots of setbacks, the red devil lives!! oil leak was the oil pan gasket. the gasket set came with a pan gasket that went all the way around the pan. wrong application!! oh well, live and learn, i guess..

as long as everything is ok, this should be the last post on this. :D

as long as everything is ok, this should be the last post on this. 

Not with Slick and Pezzy hanging around :hide:

So you got any Pics?

Looks like Im going to be pulling mine out over this week(pass exh mani for DSM), any suggestions?

• 6 months later...
after 2 months and lots of setbacks, the red devil lives!! oil leak was the oil pan gasket. the gasket set came with a pan gasket that went all the way around the pan. wrong application!! oh well, live and learn, i guess..

as long as everything is ok, this should be the last post on this. :D

Anyone have any information on this kind of problem? I am replaceing my engine and installing the oil pan.

Ran into a problem .... when installing the pan with new gasket it doesn't look like the rear of the pan is compressing the gasket. The space in-between the rear main seal housing (gasket) and oil pan is about 1/8 inch.

My second problem is the gasket is being pushed out the side of the pan to easily. Hardley tightening the bolts at all. Maybe I should of installed it dry.

FYI - It did not have a gasket before. Only gasket was over the bearing end caps.

Danny