Driving Lights

derogate

I need to buy some Driving lights (or even offroad lights) for another car I have... yes car. lol Don't ask. Anyway, Any idea How a 55watt light would compare to The existing headlights on the WD21's? These lights arn't going on my pathy, but I need something to compare it too.

I need dirt cheap Offroad/driving lights that are preferably square and under 5 inches tall. and 4 or 5 inches thick. So far I've seen some at canadian tire for 30 bucks, but im not sure if 55 watts is going to be bright enough to drive with as my highbeams.

Any tips guys?

55 watt ones are usually about comparable to your lowbeam headlights, but it depends greatly on size and design. Cheaper and smaller generally does not = brighter. I'd say get the biggest you can fit for space and budget. Course you could also look for 100 watt ones which would be generally stronger than your lows and maybe even the highs too, or just swap in 100 watt bulbs to 55 watt housings, as most all driving lights use standard H3 bulbs. I just picked up 4 100 watt Pro-Comp 6" lights, just a bit bigger than you're looking for. Those are some of the brightest I've seen, much more than even the high beams by far. However you go, take care in how you aim them (lower and away from driver's eyes).

Edited by Mr. Pickles

here are the 55w lights i got for extra lighting for my pathy.. i paid $10 on sale for two at ahrbor freight.. bf's bro has 8 of them on his truck and man are they bright!!! -bounce-

I have a pair of Hella 500 driving lights, personally I think they are excellent. They do not have the range of my Kc daylights, but that is because the daylighters are 100watt spots. They have excellent spread and a distance of about 1000ft, relatively. The Hellas run for about $65.00 and are about 5 inches in diameter. These lights are not rectangular though, but they will probably give your car a cool rally look B) . I would post some pics, but cardomain seems to be down.

This is a site with info and pics, but I would not buy them from here:

http://www.autobarn.net/hel500higper3.html

OR

If you didn't have a budget, Warn has a series of lights that can be driving or offroad spots with a flick of a switch. I think those are pretty cool, but I have never like the look of their lights. They are kinda futuristic and transformer-like. I really like the idea though!

-Lex

I have a pair of Hella 500 driving lights, personally I think they are excellent. They do not have the range of my Kc daylights, but that is because the daylighters are 100watt spots. They have excellent spread and a distance of about 1000ft, relatively. The Hellas run for about $65.00 and are about 5 inches in diameter. These lights are not rectangular though, but they will probably give your car a cool rally look B) . I would post some pics, but cardomain seems to be down.

This is a site with info and pics, but I would not buy them from here:

http://www.autobarn.net/hel500higper3.html

OR

If you didn't have a budget, Warn has a series of lights that can be driving or offroad spots with a flick of a switch. I think those are pretty cool, but I have never like the look of their lights. They are kinda futuristic and transformer-like. I really like the idea though!

-Lex

I have heard of people with the Hella 500s swapping in the KC Daylighter bulbs and relays and VOILA, a very bright light on the (relatively) cheap! Try it, that would seem like the best bang-for-the buck solution!

hmm.. k Well the ones I bought where broken So I had to take em back and they don't have any more in stock.

Anyone Know any Really cheap Lights with decent brightness for sale anywhere?

Are those lights still on sale Slick?

hmm.. k Well the ones I bought where broken So I had to take em back and they don't have any more in stock.

Anyone Know any Really cheap Lights with decent brightness for sale anywhere?

Are those lights still on sale Slick?

those lights are usually around $10... price never varies much ;):aok: just have a looksie on harborfreight.com

Edited by Slick

lol... ummm DOH!!! :crazy:

Man... I swear I read through it all too. I guess 4 hours of sleep will do that to you. :asleep:

boo! no shipping to canada it seems.

Edited by derogate

I know it has been mentioned already... But to back it up, I have swapped the bulbs in cheap lights a few times in the past. to gain a brighter light.

I have gone from 33.5 (iirc) to 55w and from 55w up to 100w. It works fine.

Only thing I would suggest is that you take a good look and the housing and reflector before leaving them that way. It it's cheap plastic it might not be able to handle the brighter and thus hotter light.

If they are at all suspect, test them first. Just let the brighter light burn in them under your supervision for a while before making them permanent.

bah! now ur just showing off.

I love the looks of that rig though. especially the color.

Anywho, I just bought those cheapo crappy tire ones for 35 bucks. I'm gonna see if I can dismantle them and put a better bulb in em. Should be fun. Although Now that has to wait till I swap in a new alternator, the current one has fried the connectors going to it twice within a week... hardly a good time to be adding MORE lights to its work load :D

BTW I'm putting them on because I drive a ford tempo beat POS winter car this time of year (mostly to save some $$ on insurance and gas +not having to worry about smackin up the pathy with rocks and salt and asians.... the lights are incredibly oxidized (el cheapo ford plastico) and let hardly any light through at all. This way once I'm done using the car I can swap the lights onto the Pathy -thnkboutit-

Edited by derogate

if you can't find anything in Canada.. maybe when Pezzy comes down to wheel with Vengeful she can bring you a set or two back.. orrrrrrrr.... I could go buy them for you and ship them to you ;):aok:

bah! now ur just showing off.

I love the looks of that rig though. especially the color.

Anywho, I just bought those cheapo crappy tire ones for 35 bucks. I'm gonna see if I can dismantle them and put a better bulb in em. Should be fun. Although Now that has to wait till I swap in a new alternator, the current one has fried the connectors going to it twice within a week... hardly a good time to be adding MORE lights to its work load :D

BTW I'm putting them on because I drive a ford tempo beat POS winter car this time of year (mostly to save some $$ on insurance and gas +not having to worry about smackin up the pathy with rocks and salt and asians.... the lights are incredibly oxidized (el cheapo ford plastico) and let hardly any light through at all. This way once I'm done using the car I can swap the lights onto the Pathy -thnkboutit-

same issue with my mustang. crappy plastic cheapo factory lights.. urgh.

A quick cure for the fogged up acrylic plastic OE headlights:

- Wet sand with 600 grit wet or dry until all "fogging" is eliminated

- Spray with thin coat of high gloss clear epoxy spray paint The paint fills the really fine scratches left by the 600 grit and makes the plastic almost crystal clear again.

Voila! Not perfect and may only last a season or two, but easy to repeat and a whole hecka lot better...

hey thanks man but i think mine are crap on the inside too... had to drill weep holes to loose all the moisture that always accumulated in them.. i may try it though

same here. When I took my grill off to mount the auxiliary lights, the damn headlight covers came off all on their own. I only had 400 grit handy and no clearcoat so I just used some engine cleaner and did my best to smooth it out and clean it. Its slightly better but now (its been an ongoing problem, getting worse and worse) My alternator has decided to start melting the harness wires that plug into it. SUPER!

On top of all that crap, None of the autwreckers with an hour of me have any freakin Alts! NONE! Apparently I can use one off na 89 Ford Bronco 5.0, but i'd have to fab up a mounting bracket (im no good at that kinda thing).*sigh* I dont wanna waste 200+ bucks for an Alt for my winter beater, this sucks.