Header headache!

Electrifyliak

So I got the pace setter headers and the gibson cat back for my 95 and took it to a place because I don't have the space/tools to do it. I was there for 5 hours and the headers weren't even on yet! They fit so tight it was a big pain, and then the guy had to take a stud out on the passenger side to get the header to fit and the stud broke! So he drilled it, put an easy out in and the easy out broke! So he kept it there over night and it's still not done today! He said the headers are on but the bung for the exhast sensor was too small so he had to tap it out! Hopefully it will all be done tomorrow and I won't be broke from labor charges, he said he wouldn't charge me too much though. Any one else have this kind of grief with pacesetter or any other headers? Well, I'm done griping for now i guess.

Yep, that seems to be the general concensus... Fitment for the Pace Setters (I like to call them Pacemakers as thats what you need 1/2 through the job) generally sucks and creates a lot of issues. So from reading, I'm assuming you didn't have the stock studs replaced with the upgraded (not prone to snapping) kind ? DOH !! That probably should have been done... I hope you dont have problems down the line with them !! Sorry about the headache and hope you get the truck back and in order ASAP.

So he drilled it, put an easy out in and the easy out broke

*snicker*

$10 says he used the wrong kind !!

B

Hey Elect. Hope things go well for ya. I've purchased the Pace Setter Headers also. The cheapest I've found someone to put them on is $350. That's just taking the manifolds off and placement of the headers. The exhaust will put me around $700-$800. That's also for going dual exhaust. I'm going to wait until Spring now and do the header work myself and then have someone do the exhaust for me. I've already purchased the mufflers also. Just need the piping, hangers, and the welding done.

Let us know how things went and the price range. Thanks! :beer:

Ele, been there done that with the Pacemakers. Unfortunatly I bought mine before I found this board. Once you get them on things will get better. Something to watch out for are the slip joints leading to the "Y" pipe. If you don't weld these joints the cheeseball clamps they give you in the kit will not keep the joints tight. Nor will HD pipe clamps. Again it's a fittment issue. Warner or Wagner makes a stepped exhaust pipe clamp available through Summit Racing and others I'm sure. Get two of these if you don't weld the joints they are the goods. Otherwise that annoying exhaust leak will still be there. Do a search for the clamp here. I as well as other have posted it. Conider replacing your O2 sensor will the installer is down there if it wasn't been replaced recently. I know it's more $$$ but they do have a certain life expectancy.

M

*thanks god every day she went with the Thorleys*

hope things improve for you! I have heard a lot about the bad fitment of pacesetters.. nothing a BFH P... can't handle!

My exhaust total cost was $338 for thorleys (installed myself)

$200 for cat back 2.5" pipe with flowmaster 50 series muffler (see pic) i had him weld the tailpie to the hanger instead of hang it as they tend to rattle over time and that drives me crazy

then i went back and had the high flow cat and some more 2.5" pipe installed for $100 :aok: I love it!

good luck! and enjoy once you finally get all said n done -bounce-

The more i think about it, I think im just gonna put exhaust manifolds back on instead of headers. I know they are cheaper and probably easier to put in. :shrug:

bad idea killvox.. you'll regret it.... really.... :type:

Splain Lucy!

allll righty then..... stock manifolds: studs will keep breaking. costing more $$$ over time.. not including hassle... ack! crapper #1. headers vs manifolds: headers win for more power and alieviating stud issue, and headers look soooooo much purtier! :aok:

FYI: this is just MOO

These under powered pigs of motors need to exhale better. Even with all the fitment/quality issues associated with the Pacesetters they are by far better than stock exhaust manifolds. I noticed performance gains both in power and efficiency. I'm sure the Thorley's are a better quality product than the Pacesetter but that's not what this thread is about.

The way I see it if you have to replace a stock exhaust manifold because it's cracked or exhaust manifold studs because they are broken you are already there and you might as well take a performance upgrade by installing headers whos ever brand they are. When I did the costing on mine a few years back it was as cheap or cheaper to hang headers rather than replace the stock exhaust manifolds. Having run headers and stock exhaust manifolds, I won't be going back to stock exhaust manifolds ever. When my crappie Pacesetter give up the ghost I'll put some of Doug's pipes on and keep on driven'. It was an easy decision for me, but to each their own.

JMTC

M

Well, I finally got my truck back today. Everything is installed except the high flow cat which did not fit. The guy only charged me $150 for the install which isn't too bad. It sounds pretty good, but it's not as loud as I was expecting. But I got them more for power and better milage than noise. I kind of wish I went with thorley now that I read all this, but live and learn, I think these headers will do ok though. I might try to weld that high flow cat in later, but for now, I'm just glad to have my truck back in one piece.

The guy only charged me $150 for the install which isn't too bad.

Bonus!!!!!! It cost me more than that for them to replace the passenger side Stock on the 95. For me it was a "This has to be drivable in an hour" Took them 3 but it was done.

Can you show us some Pic's?????

I'd say you got a good deal for $150 !! As was said, the Pacemakers are still superior to the stock manifolds !!

live and learn

That is absolutely the right attitude; as long as you keep it you will do both... ;)

:beer:

B

the pacesetters just seem to need some coaxing upon install on autos P... for some reason, but they seem ok on manuals from what i've read. Mr Jim has the pacesetters and likes them, i have thorleys.. but that's personal pref and price you can afford... glad you got her back!!! :aok: -bounce-

Ya, I have an automatic. And the price was what made me go with pacesetter. I figured any after market header was better than stock and the price was something I can afford. All in all, I'm happy with them, now to see if my gas milage improves...

I'd say you got a good deal for $150 !!

I would say so. Good find on the shop. *Thinks seriously about driving hundreds of miles for a $150 header install*

Hey...they're on...they work...it cost ya' $150 for install. I'd say it's all good!

Since the guy didn't have time to put the high flow cat in, I was wondering if I could try to fab something up and weld it in place. Would this be worth the trouble? I'm looking for gas milage, sound and power, probably in that order, milage most important, etc...