Electric superchargers

Electrifyliak

I was browsing around for an air intake tube for my 95 pathy and stumbled across electric superchargers. Anyone know if they are worth the time/money? Seems like a good idea, seems like an electric fan/compressor you put in you intake after the maf and it says it runs 1psi of boost or 1.7 on a more expensive one. Like I said, seems like it could work in theory, just thought I'd see what you guys thought. Thanks.

I've never really looked into them, but I'd bet your $300 would be better spent on an intake or exhaust upgrade. Things like that usually aren't any real benefit. If they were, OEM's and your local gearheads would be using something like it.

Spend the money on cams, and headers (if im reading right, header back).

Besides the horrible sounds im assuming they create (not a fan of SC or Turbo'ed cars) refer to the above poster. If its cheap and car related something isent right.

electric supercharger...... no no no no

complete and utter waste of money

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

simple equation : you cant have more power without more fuel ;)

Edited by sw

I saw a video one time where some guys hooked up a leaf blower to car a while it was on a dyno machine. They got a pretty damn good boost from that leaf blower if I remember correctly. I wish I could remember which site I saw that on.

Spend the money on cams, and headers (if im reading right, header back).

Besides the horrible sounds im assuming they create (not a fan of SC or Turbo'ed cars) refer to the above poster. If its cheap and car related something isent right.

I've got headers too, guess I worded that wrong. I have new headers, high flow cat and cat back exhaust, pretty much all aftermarkert exhaust.

Well, it may do something since you have headers, etc, but how much gain I have NO idea... I'd guess that it would be basically useless with the restrictive stock exhaust manifolds... It would be interesting to find out but I couldn't promise you'd get $300 of results... :shrug:

B

electric supercharger...... no no no no

complete and utter waste of money

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

simple equation : you cant have more power without more fuel ;)

I agree that its most likely a waste of money. but you can get more power without more fuel.

turbo chargers, super chargers, better ignition systems, better flowing exaust etc,

its not MORE fuel, its better fuel USAGE that gets more power.

Now i am not saying that you don't get more power from more fuel. Just that its not the only way.

From what I've heard, those things are worthless crap. I did a fair amount of research on them a couple years ago after stumbling across them like you did. Basically, you're just throwing a fan in the intake to speed up air supposedly, but you're not actually compressing it and shoving it down the engine's throat so to speak, like with a turbo or supercharger. So by that thinking, gain would be minimal if any, and loss ($$$) would be much. I've also read articles about lower quality units breaking apart and pieces of plastic and stuff coming loose internally. Not good! I second the "spend the money elsewhere" idea.

It will only work if you install the Tornado Fuel Saver and the gas line ionizer at the same time.

Ha ha ha!! :laugh: That's pretty good. Alright I get the point, no electric supercharger. Thanks for the advice and info guys I really appreciate it. Hopefully this will help others in the future too, if they can use the search function that is... :P

but you can get more power without more fuel. 

turbo chargers, super chargers, better ignition systems, better flowing exaust etc,

its not MORE fuel, its better fuel USAGE that gets more power. 

Now i am not saying that you don't get more power from more fuel.  Just that its not the only way.

ok better ignition system will work better than a worn out one, marginal increases in get up and go and better mpg

and better exhausts definitely help with power, but they can walk a very fine line of being a modification to car that causes it to use more fuel, even if is only slightly.

but your actually saying you throw a turbo on a motor and it wont use more fuel. the only way i could see that happening is if you drive it like a grandpa, highly unlikely.

Edited by sw

Not to mention the amperage draw of the aforementioned fans, which draw down the available electricity for the ignition and everything else...up to 50-80 amps for some of them. I haven't yet seen a dyno video of a car with a fan supercharger installed that I believe gave any reputable data back...

ok better ignition system will work better than a worn out one, marginal increases in get up and go and better mpg

and better exhausts definitely help with power, but they can walk a very fine line of being a modification to car that causes it to use more fuel, even if is only slightly.

but your actually saying you throw a turbo on a motor and it wont use more fuel. the only way i could see that happening is if you drive it like a grandpa, highly unlikely.

If the vehicle is carburated then you would see a dramatic change in fuel consumpsion adding a turbo or a supercharger,

with a fuel injected vehicle you wouldn't see much change unless you change your injectors and/or reprogram the computer.

You can get a trememdous power increase by changing to a jacobs ignition.

You can get different setups, some that increase milage, some that give more power, some that do both.

To my knowledge they don't bother any other electronics.

Everybody i know that has put a jacobs ignition in there rig absolutely loves it

Is that jacobs ignition the same as an msd just a different brand or are those two different things?

No, they are not the same. Think of MSD as the wannabe baby brother of jacobs.

MSD is pretty good but nothing like jacobs

• 3 weeks later...

Accually, 99% of "electric turbochargers" are a bloody joke unless we are talking Remote control models and such.... providing BOOST to an engine is a function of CFM relitive to PSI... in order to produce enough CFM's at a given PSI to provide Boost to an engine it takes some POWER, and im not talking the kinda power you can derive from a computer-fan in a cute little housing.... ...

if you figure that a standard belt driven supercharger draws upwards of 30% of your stock horsepower to spin it and create boost that gives you a relitive idea of what it REALLY takes to "boost" an engine... now, relate that HP into amps and volts.... can you pass that kinda "power" thru small wires? NO... unless thease "electric turbochargers/superchargers" are packing battery-cable to them, they are NOT going to be substantially effective except as more of a air-swirling device like the popular TORNADO "air spinner dohickey"... AKA... USELESS...

now... for that 1%... there is a company that makes a GENUINE, Bonifide electric turbo/supercharger.... Thomas Knight.... http://www.boosthead.com/home.php

but if you observe the wiring required and the battery-bank you'll see... thease "e-bay special" 40$ "electric turbochargers" arent worth the box they're shipped in atleast in regards to boost to your motor....

- Geeky907