Hello folks

Guest Nephilim

Guest Nephilim

Picked it up yesterday and have got the owners manual on order. I have a question regarding the operation of the 4 wheel drive system.

I can't seem to get it into 4 low, I was told to have the vehicle stopped and to push down on the 4WD shifter and pull it back, I don't know if I'm missing something here or if there's a mechanical problem. It's got an automatic transmission and it seems to go into 4 high ok. Would someone be kind enough to school me on the do's and dont's of this system?

BTW, this board looks pretty nice

Thanks guys.

Welcome!

If the R50's are like our older Wd21's ('87-'95 Pathys), did you put the tranny in neutral first before attempting to shift into 4lo? As I said, I'm not sure if this is required for the newer Pathys or not.

Someone will correct me and point us in the right direction!

Hey there - welcome to the board!!

to go to 4-lo:

I stop the truck, put it into neutral, pull the shift back to 4 hi & then neutral, then push & pull down to 4low... easy peasy!!

You may also just want to look underneath from the drivers side. If the set up is anything like the WD21s, you can see the shifter at the tranny, and there can just be stuff/crap there blocking it. A shot of lube on the lock out bracket can never hurt either. Take a look and if you can see it, it will be clear...

B

Guest Nephilim
Hey there - welcome to the board!!

to go to 4-lo:

I stop the truck, put it into neutral, pull the shift back to 4 hi & then neutral, then push & pull down to 4low... easy peasy!!

Thanks Pezzy, ( and everyone else for the warm welcome) I finally managed to get it into 4 low.....but it grinds when I do.....is this normal? Should I consider taking this thing back?

I found the first few times I put it into 4 lo it wasnt very graceful... I guess I was a bit nervous about doing it wrong... just make sure it's in neutral, and make sure you have it all the way in gear in one easy pull...

If youre really uncomfortable with it - take it to the dealer (assuming you got it from a dealer) and have them have a look - and maybe show you how to do it...