Body Lift

jason

Most pics I've seen on the forum of people with 3" body lifts have a 3" hole between the rear bumper and I believe it looks hideous. Since the lift kit does not mention anything about the rear bumper, I figured it would have to be a custom job. But, a couple of weeks ago I was removing my trailer hitch and decided to remove the bumper and take a look.

I found that there are already mounting holes on the bumper and on the frame that will allow you to move the bumper up exactly 3" and bolt it back on. You will need to buy two bolts, I'm not sure which size, I just used two of the ones that held the trailer hitch on. Also I had to remove the license plate mount, so I just ziptied the license plate back on for the time being.

It seems to me that Nissan engineers had the body lift in mind. I realized after my post-body-lift electrical fan crapped out on me, that I COULD put the stock fan back on. I know you're thinking "What about the fan shroud?" Well, the fan shroud has a detatchable piece on the bottom of it that when removed allows for PERFECT clearance after a 3" body lift.

Yep, the bumper lift has been covered in the body lift threads, and I just posted about removing the bottom of the shroud a couple weeks ago. Somebody didn't do their reading. -study- :D

By the way, thanks for the hideous comment, as I too have the gap. But with a hitch, driving lights for back-up lights, and tail pipe all there to sit 3" into limbo if I moved the bumper, I decided to leave it be. Still, good self-exploration on you part.

Rear bars must be different in the US. I had to rework mine. :(

That said, the best part of the lift for me was that I was able to run my exhaust between the body and the chasis. I used to rip the exhaust off every time I went 4wding. She is well protected now and I haven't had an exhaust issue since. :clap:

Rear bars must be different in the US. I had to rework mine. :(

That said, the best part of the lift for me was that I was able to run my exhaust between the body and the chasis. I used to rip the exhaust off every time I went 4wding. She is well protected now and I haven't had an exhaust issue since. :clap:

Got a pic of how you ran your exhaust? I don't really like how it hangs down as it is.

Got a pic of how you ran your exhaust?  I don't really like how it hangs down as it is.

I will get a pic for you this arvo.

Here they are..........

The tail pipe.

exhtail6tk.th.jpg

Muffler

exhmuf18ii.th.jpg

Muffler

exhmuf0ox.th.jpg

You can see my hand brake drop bracket in this shot. I only put them on just before my back surgery.

Unfortunately they are still clean. The cat can be seen far right.

exhcatmufdropbrkt4uz.th.jpg

The cat is formost.

exhcatandmuf7zs.th.jpg

Just a blurry pic for the sake of it.

exhblurmuf1sq.th.jpg

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Looking at that first pic your bumper bracket looks just like ours in the states. To do the relocation you don't reuse the factory mounting bolt bracket, but ythere are holes that will line up pretty good otherwise. I'll have o take a pic of mine.

Looking at that first pic your bumper bracket looks just like ours in the states. To do the relocation you don't reuse the factory mounting bolt bracket, but ythere are holes that will line up pretty good otherwise. I'll have o take a pic of mine.

I could not lift the rear bar the full 3 inches because the chassis rail would have looked silly hanging down. If you look carefully (the other pic) at the bar you will see where I notched it to fit around the rail. So at the end of the day, I only lifted it about 2.5 inches. This pics shows exactly what I mean about the rail hanging down. See pic.

rearbar5ms.th.jpg

eh. with the pipe still comin off there..you COULD still rip 'er off.... here's how I have mine..hehe

http://photobucket.com/albums/a77/Slick92P...nt=153ff620.jpg

It would be some magic trick to lose my tail pipe form there?

I do like how you have yours though Slick. Unfortunately we have to have our exhaust extend past the last opening window to supposedly stop fumes coming in. The last opening window just happens to be on the the tailgate. :(

Thats odd V6, it's not like you can open the rear window in the fly, and I believe it is generally ill advised to drive with it open as it is not that sturdy and only supported by the gas shocks. The back draft would still suck in exhaust anyhow even with the exhaust tip past the bumper... :shrug:

B

I do like how you have yours though Slick. Unfortunately we have to have our exhaust extend past the last opening window to supposedly stop fumes coming in. The last opening window just happens to be on the the tailgate. :(

hmm, have you considered custom fabricating a removable extension. To satisfy the coppers on road but protect the exhaust system off?

But then, if you have had no trouble catching it on the ground, rocks, trees, etc. with it the way it is, then there is no real need for anything else. :shrug:

That would work. The problem for me is, I already had the exhaust done so I'd have to rework it, but mainly I've got a pretty beefy class III reciever hitch mounted to the frame which would still look lame hanging alone. Oh well, keep the good stuff coming. For now, anything that would damage the exhaust would hit the reciever first.

Like you, I also have a hefty Class III Receiver hanging off the back of my Path.

This is something that I too have thought about when the time comes for a BL.. Right now, I am leaning the same way you have, (not moving my bumper up)

oh. that sux v6.... but I agree with what B said about open windows.. per say the rear window is classed as part of the tailgate is it not? and per say it does not open like a regular window....??? correct me if I'm wrong?

Also..it looked like your pipe came out under the rear bumper..I have seen a Pathy get up a steep slope and lay teh bumper down on their pipe..same set up as yours. :gossip:

As B said. If the window is open it will suck fumes in. It doesn't matter where the exhaust ends. I however can't change the law. Besides that, my exhaust is exactly 24 inches (2 foot) off of the ground. I really do think I'd struggle to hit it, letalone rip it off. my recovery point, fuel tank and guard are lower than the exhaust too, so that would help protect it too. Even when the Pathy was close to stock I never lost the tail pipe. I would always rip the muffler out.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Has anyone snaggeed one of those nifty Aussie (I assume) rear bumpers with the turn signal lamps built in? That'd be kinda neat to have or even convert the amber to clear and use 'em for back up lights...

Has anyone snaggeed one of those nifty Aussie (I assume) rear bumpers with the turn signal lamps built in? That'd be kinda neat to have or even convert the amber to clear and use 'em for back up lights...

I will swap you mine for yours. :D

Back to the tail pipe.... Something I didn't mention before. A Pathy tail pipe "stock" points slightly down and left; correct? Anyone notice how straight mine is compared to how it used to be (looking at the other pics I posted for reference)? When the engineer looked at my Pathy he informed me that the exhaust was not legal and that it had to be straight out. The guy at the exhaust place freaked when I asked him to straighten it out and told him why.

Zoom in on this pic to see the slight angle the exhaust was on. I had to change it. What a joke!

v6flex4cq.th.jpg

Now thats a friggin joke V6, a bad one. Did you piss the guy off or did he have some sort of quota to fill ? Stock (approved for import) is illegal ? :crazy:

Hopefully it was a cheap quick fix... I'm all for vehicle inspections (with in reason) as I sometimes see rattle traps around here that probably shouldn't be on the road, but on the other hand, they are usually the most cautious drivers. Guess you have to be if something might fall off... :D

B

Now thats a friggin joke V6, a bad one. Did you piss the guy off or did he have some sort of quota to fill ? Stock (approved for import) is illegal ? :crazy:

Hopefully it was a cheap quick fix... I'm all for vehicle inspections (with in reason) as I sometimes see rattle traps around here that probably shouldn't be on the road, but on the other hand, they are usually the most cautious drivers. Guess you have to be if something might fall off... :D

B

Your not telling me anything I don't already know B. And no, I didn't piss him off. He was the man and he knew it. I was not going to argue the point either. Getting a 3" BL passed was the pay off for me anyway. That doesn't usually happen in the land of OZ. The fix was easy, heat the tail pipe up with an oxy and pull it around.

I never noticed till that pic, but you're missing half your tire carrier :huh:

Yes GG. I cut the bugger down so I didn't require 25 spare feet behind the car to open the tail gate. Nothing worse than backing into a parking spot and not being able to open the tailgate. The same applied to pulling into a spot on a busy road and nearly having the carrier smashed by passing traffic.

While I am on this subject I should tell you that the engineer made me alter the carrier again. The spare was blocking the tail light at a 45 degreee angle from 2.5 meters away. I did not mind changing it. Four reasons.. 1. The spare that I had on at the time (for his eyes) was only 29" and the 33's were going on. So would have covered the whole tail light 2. The 'rip cord' opening setup I made is way better then the stock one. 3. Bridge or pole mounted speed cameras can not see my number plate. And finally I have enough room now to mount a jerry can holder.

Not so far to the right anymore.

33" tyre

rearlight1za.th.jpg

29" tyre.

v6flex4cq.th.jpg

The setup.

ripcord1nr.th.jpg

ripback9oc.th.jpg

Edited by Vsicks Pathy