TIRES AND WHEELS, ITS FRIGGIN TIME!

OK I KNOW THIS TOPIC IS DISUCUSSED 1000 TIMES A WEEK BUT IM LOOKING FOR FRESH NEW OPINIONS. I GOT THE GO-AHEAD TODAY TO ORDER ONLINE 5 NEW RIMS AND 5 NEW TIRES. I AM TAKING AUTO. TECH. FULL TIME AT MY COLLEGE AND MY TEACHER IS WILLING TO MOUNT THE TIRES ON THE NEW RIMS WITH ME AND BALANCE THEM. THEN I WILL MOUNT THEM TO MY PF AND DO AN ALIGNMENT, AS THIS IS ONE OF MY 5 CLASSES IM TAKING. SO I CAN SAVE SOME MONEY THERE, I HAVE THE 2" LIFT WHICH IS REALLY LIKE 3" BUT I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO TRIM UNLESS I HAVE TO. PLEASE TELL ME WHICH TIRES AND RIMS I SHOULD GET AND WHERE TO GET THEM. THERE IS NOT VERY MUCH DEEP MUD OUT HERE BUT THERE ARE LOTS OF ROCKS AND SAND AND DIRT. I LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. IN THE WINTER I GO UP TO MAMMOTH MOUNTAIN SO I WANT A TIRE THAT CAN HANDLE SNOW WELL. I WAS THINKING MAYBE MTs OR ATs. WELL RECCOMEND AWAY!!!

Longevity: At least 6 months

Noise: not too noisy, id like a quiet tire really

Highway handling: Yes! very important

Wet performance: I need wet performance half the year

Price: $100-$200 per tire

Tire size: i dont know, i have a 2002 PF LE with the AC 2" lift

Edited by CanadianPathyNut

holy hanna - settle down with the all caps, youre hurting my eyes!!

I would say, if you will be using these tires in the snow a decent amount of time to look at AT's over MT's.

I have a set of Bridgestone Dueller Revo AT's, and love them (DJ Dank will tell you the same) Ive had them in snow, mud, on rocks, and they havent let me down. That said, because they are AT's and not MT's I do choose the less goopy/muddy line if I can, not to say I havent taken then through a lot of mud - because I have. I have also heard good things about the BF Goodrich AT KO's... my hubby has a set for his Xterra and has no complaints - theyre a bit cheaper than the Revos'.

I would say the AT's are also better for you if youre worried about noise (although I like the soothing hum of MT's on the highway) and they will also be better on your fuel economy than MT's...

I'm sure others can give you suggestions re: MT's if you are interested :)

Size - I suppose that's up to you... I have 31's with my AC lift - and yes - I had to trim, but it's pretty minor and no one can really tell, unless you look for it. That coming from someone who is pretty picky about how her truck looks.

www.tirerack.com is a pretty good site for looking up tire info.

Edited by Pezzy
  • Like 1

How many miles per month do you drive? How many miles per month do you drive off-highway?

My guess is the ratio of miles driven to miles driven off-road is rather large. That is, you probably drive more than 95% of your miles on pavement.

Since getting into 4-wheeling, I never bought a tire that was biased towards highway-only use. I bought strictly All-Terrain. After the OEM tires wore out, I got a set of Costco Kirkland 30" All-Terrain tires (which sucked, BTW). The next set was Yokohama 31" Geolandar AT, which lasted only about 25,000 miles. After that, I went with 31" BFG AT's, which were installed on my truck for over 40,000 miles, during which time I ran the Rubicon and some of the toughest trails in Moab, and even a few adventures in snow. It was only after I bought an alternative daily driver that I decided to switch to Goodyear MTR's. That, plus the fact that I ripped a sidewall on a BFG AT on a really tough trail. If my Pathy were still a daily driver, I wouldn't think twice about sticking with a BFG AT or possibly the Bridgestone Dueler Revo AT.

You should also be aware that MT tires aren't as good for driving on hard-packed snow. If you plan to head up to Mammoth in the winter, the roads will probably be plowed, but still have enough of an icy layer of snow over the pavement on which AT tires will excel over MT tires.

If I were in your position, I would definitely get either BFG AT or the Revos and stay away from MT tires, which are louder and don't last as long.

bridgestone makes a pretty good AT and the MT is pretty savage. my at's have been pretty good, but keep in mind that they are a less aggressive tread and really no sidewall lugs to help you through mud so you'll probably have to keep outta most of that unless your a good mudder :D well, good luck, and take it easy with those caps, ya? :hide:

OK, FIRST OFF I LOVE SCREAMING!

SECONDLY I BOUGHT 16” American Racing AR 767’s FROM SUMMIT RACING. I KINDA WANT TO BE JUST LIKE PEZZY, SHES MY IDOL, I AM ABOUT TO ORDER TIRES, WHAT SIZE WILL FIT THE 16" RIM? I CAN FIX MINOR RUBBING, SO I GUESS WHATEVER SIZE PEZZY HAS, WHICH IS R275/70R16, DOES THAT ALSO CONVERT TO ANOTHER SIZE? I HAVE DECIDED ON THE BFG Radial All Terrain T/A - KO. I HOPE THESE ARE GOOD.

WELL NOW IM TORN BETWEEN THE BFGs AND Bridgestone Dueller Revo AT's

I WILL LOOK AROUND THE NET AND SEE WHAT PRICES I CAN FIND

I KINDA WANT TO BE JUST LIKE PEZZY, SHES MY IDOL...

*afraid*

:)

I believe the BFG's are cheaper than the Bridgestone Duellers... have a look on tirerack.com - you can get a good idea of tire sizes there...

how do I know what size to look for? what size will fit the 16” American Racing AR 767’s???

Just about any size that ends in "R16" will fit your wheel. It's the wheel diameter (16 inches), width (you didn't specify), and wheel offset (you didn't specify) that also factor into what will fit. When purchasing the wheels, be sure to tell them it's for your Pathfinder, so they can look up the current wheel specs (offset, etc.) You want at least a 7" wide wheel, but not wider than 8". The offset will vary based on the wheel width. I think you'll want something with zero or slightly positive offset on a 7" wheel and zero or slightly negative offset on an 8" wheel. You can read more about wheel "offset" at this link.

I'd recommend either 245/75SR16 or 255/70QR16 for your truck, unless you are willing to do a little trimming (in which case you can fit 265/75R16).

Complete size and pricing for BFG AT-ko from Tire Rack

BTW, you should be aware that the AR-767's are steel, which means they're prone to rust and are quite a bit heavier than aluminum wheels. When I swapped my gouged and scratched-up aluminum wheels for a set of wheels like the AR-767's the decrease in acceleration and fuel economy was noticeable. However, the plus-side is that they're cheap, and because they're painted black, they're easy to touch up with a can of gloss black Krylon.

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 1

AT's for sure if you're worried about ice or rain. I've had BFG MT's for over 3 years, and they're great on dry ground, dirt, mud, even loose snow. But they suck pretty bad on the slick stuff. But, they're about to be replaced after about 50K miles and they still have a bit of tread, at least on 2 of the 4, and I'm gonna pull one for a spare when I swap. Since you're in S. Cali where I spend a fair amount of time, I'd say you'd probably be best with an AT. You don't need to worry much about mud really, rain is mostly a non-issue, and they should do just fine on the snow, ice and sand. Good luck and happy choices!

Guest Larimer

I have been running on Dueller AT's for at least 6 years. I loved the old AT's, but I didnt get a lot of miles out of them. The Revo's rock!!! They last, they are quiet - though not as quiet as a soccer mom tire. They handle good in the snow - I dont off road, but I do deal with a lot of snow - even in the heavey corn snow that we get here sometime that is the consistency of coarse sand. Excellent rain performance too compared to the old AT's. I will buy Dueller AT's again - without a doubt.

I am on my 3rd set...

OK SO ITS DONE AND DONE, I ORDERED 5 Bridgestone Dueller Revo AT's. THEY WILL BE HERE WEDNESDAY. I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S INPUT AND IDEAS. IM SORRY TO HAVE HAD TO BOTHER YOU ALL. BUT ITS DONE NOW, NEW TIRES NEW WHEELS, ITS GONNA BE A GOOD WEEK, I CANT WAIT TILL NEXT WEEKEND NOW IM GONNA TEAR @!*% UP OVER IN THE MOJAVE DESERT. WELL ILL BE LURKING SO KEEP IT CLEAN YA'LL, PEACE!