Lockers...I'm So Confused

SteeevO

So if u havea locker both wheels spin together no matter what? even through turns?

lets say i'm stuck in a rut where one tire is in the rut...with LSD the tire hanging in the rut will spin . but with a locker... will they both still spin? or will i have the same results..one tire spinning?

(I used the rut example cause.. i backed up into a nice rut yesterday ...lol oops.. eh, maybe 3 ft deep.. the diff was on the ground...rear left tire was spinning in the air...while the right rear was tucked and not spinning at all...that was fun to get out of.. :help: )

Air actuated locker you engage any time you want and it will spin both wheels. Manual lockers will generally be engaged all the time (other than some hard turning with full traction I believe) and both wheels will spin.

LSD will spin both tires is loose stuff (sand/mud/snow) and disengage while turning hard with moderate traction and is almost useless if one wheel is buried and the other suspended, as you have found out.

That said, different brands of manual lockers work somewhat different. I don't know them well enough to define by brand.

B

so if i were in the same situation again and i tapped the brake the lsd would kick the power back over to the right rear? ..(that doen't make sense to me)...i had my left rear suspended..

It may have helped, if the opposite tire wasn't completely stuck solid and had somewhere to start spinning when the brakes were applied.

OK. This is the Great Pathfinder H233B Rear Locker/LSD Rundown:

(the H233B is the Nissan rear axle used in all of our Pathfinders, up till'02 or so.)

LSD: Stock limited slip differential. Allows rear wheels to rotate at different speeds around corners until enough torque is applied by the drivetrain to make the clutch pack lock together, or until the vehicle moves out of the turn and back into a straight line. Can be rebuilt with a few extra clutch plates to make the LSD much tighter and work more like a locker.

Powertrax Lock-Right(Richmond Gear): Replaces an open differential's spider gears with a pair of thrust plates that lock into the face of the side gears when torque is applied through the drivetrain. As long as sufficient torque is being applied by the drivetrain, the Lock-Right will stay locked, whether the tires are in the air or not. Only when you let off the gas and the differential "relaxes" into a coasting pattern does the cross-shaft inside the thrust plates allow the plates to uncouple from the side gears, thereby allowing both rear tires to spin at different rates around a corner, provided you don't give it too much gas. A Lock-Right is what we call an "automatic" locker. Only fits an open, non-LSD H233B differential with 31-spline axles from 1987-1997(I think). Does NOT fit an axle equipped with a stock LSD. Visit www.powertrax.com for more info.

Detroit No-Spin Locker(Tractech, Inc): As far as I know, these have been discontinued and the only Detroit lockers for Nissans you can find anymore are used or pretty rusty from sitting in the box, heh. Tractech.com has more info on those.

ARB Air Locker: A replacement differential case is installed inside the stock diff, air lines routed out of the diff housing and a compressor set up to provide the air to the locker on demand. When the compressor is turned on and the locker is locked, it is fully locked 100% all of the time and will not differentiate around corners. When it is turned off, it is 100% open and if you give it enough gas it will spin one tire with ease. An ARB air locker is what is known as a "selectable" locker. This locker fits all H233B axles from 1987-2004, both LSD and open. Professional installation required (or at least reccommended) because you have to set up the gears after installation. A noteworthy item is that the locker does NOT include the air compressor. It's separate and costs another $250 or so. Visit ARB.com for more info.

Lincoln Locker(welded differential): Lincoln locker is a reference to the Lincoln welder, which is apparently commonly used to weld diffs by gearheads. The differential is removed and the side gears are welded to each other and the carrier housing where possible, then the whole thing is put back together. The axles are locked together permanently from that point on, whether you need them to be or not. The rear tires will always spin at the same rates, and accelerated tire wear is a semi-noticeable problem. This type of "locker" cannot be removed, obviously. This is what we call a "spooled" or "fully locked" locker. Any differential can be welded, provided you have a big enough welder and the knowledge how. A welded diff generally makes the vehicle drive differently, also.

That's about it. Until someone else offers a locker that becomes available, those are your choices.

so if i were in the same situation again and i tapped the brake the lsd would kick the power back over to the right rear? ..(that doen't make sense to me)...i had my left rear suspended..

yeah, it depends but sometimes that will work.. play with it next time.. the nissan lsd is pretty weak as mentioned above..

88, what no linkoln locker? :P

The factory LSD in old Nissans is awsome. Took me to some crazy places, you have to know how to use it though. Many times newer Nissan owners thought I have a locker installed as I just crawled over stuff that made them weep... (you get used to that wheeling with the WD22 crowd).

I got a call on friday that my ARB unit arrived, so i'll be installing it shortly. If you wheel your truck, there is really no two ways about it. Locker is the only way to go on technical trails. It saves your truck from a lot of damage.

so what would be good to have if i were in that situation again... the right rear wasn't tucked and rubbing it was just tucked up there pretty good...

4lo, slightly hold the brake and gas a bit at the same time or rock it back and forth.. 4lo is way more powerful then 4hi for this kind of thing.. avoid is actually the answer but i figured you didn't wanna hear that... ;)

I love my stock LSD... it was never used offroad before me so its not worn at all!. It seems more like a locker than your typical limited slip diff. Both tires are quite frequently spinning on loose ground if I goose it or become stuck. I try to avoid having it kick in on pavement, because im sure it wears the crap out of it, but if the pavement is wet it'll lock up both back tires too.

who sells those upgrade clutch plates that where mentioned?

but i'm 2wd so i was basically screwed no matter what??...i was thinking that if the right rear would have just spun instead of the lsd kicking in and making the left rear spin ... i woulda been ok....or u can just call me crazy....and ha yeah i know the ultamate solution would to not fall in the frigg'n rut to begin with...lol

but i'm 2wd so i was basically screwed no matter what??...i was thinking that if the right rear would have just spun instead of the lsd kicking in and making the left rear spin ... i woulda been ok....or u can just call me crazy....and ha yeah i know the ultamate solution would to not fall in the frigg'n rut to begin with...lol

you're crazy.. lol.. anyway, not screwed per se.. mudfinder is 2wd but he has a locker in his open read diff.. he says it's amazing difference..

• 4 weeks later...

does anyone have parts numbers for lockers for the front diff?

i'm going to be tearing into the conversion proj. here in a few weeks and i figure while i have everything out I might as well put lockers in..

thnx

->SteeevO

I know Vsicks Pathy was looking into front lockers. We don't need them in the US for climbing turds and he is an Aussie... :D All jokes aside, he should be able to get you started; I believe you only have a few options anyway. PM him or wait for the post... ;)

B

as my project date gets closer i'm looking for more options.. i'm want to get a front locker... and after reading many other posts i'm getting confused as to what is available and what has been discontinued... i really just wanna know whats availiable. if i can't find anything for the front i am going to just lock up the back with a powertrax lockright.

thnx