CB / Ham Radio Antennas

SteeevO

i don't know how many of you have a CB or a Ham radio in thier pathy but i'm in the process of putting a new ham radio antenna on mine and was just wondering...what has been the best way to get the coax ran inside the pathy? i'm going to be mounting mine on the spare tire rack but thehn i don't know how to get the coax insode while keeping water out...

thnx

I have both CB and Ham antennas.

The CB antenna is mounted on my rear bumper. I used to run the cable thru a small hole in the bottom of the tailight lense, and then through the interior hidden. Right now I run part of the cable underneath and then up through the rubber plug underneath the rear seats. I will have to look under rear Fender wells as Grim said. That sounds like a route that one can get the cable in sooner.

My Ham antenna right now is mounted on the roof and temporarily run through the sunroof down into the cab. This is because I need the Ham setup portable to move from vehicle to vehicle. I will eventually buy the fender mount so then I can just unscrew the antenna and use the mag mount for other vehicles.

Here's my current setup

8808002.jpg

I enlargened a hole in the support under there and ran the wires down the B pillar. Everything is out of sight inside, and besides the grommet there's a bunch of clear silicone to keep water out.

My CB antenna is fender mounted, so I just have a hole drilled through the firewall. But I'd agree with GrimGreg about the rear fender access. I went that route when wiring back up fog lights under the bumper, feeding through the bottom and then reaching through the access panel for changing the brake light bulbs. There should be plenty of room for the cable there, and then just snake it through the interior.

Easier to run under the carpet than up and over, in my opinion anyway.

Yaesu 8900 quad band mobile and Yaesu 7R handheld quadband/out of band for crossband repeating. How about yourself?

I ran under carpet as it was easier too. The A pillar is a great idea, but I'm always tweaking the lines so need to pull cables fast.

i'm running a yaesu ft-8100.

i mounted a larsen antenna on the spare tire rack right near the hinge.

Then ziptyed the coax to the bar and ran it across behind my bumper ziptying it to where ever i could along the way then through the rubber plug.

I found the plug under the carpet in the back there is a big peice of foam that i pulled out that fills a dip in the very back near the left rear speaker right next to the jack storage.. then ran the coax just forward of the jack storage then behind the plastic under the rear window and behind the plastic above all the windows all teh way up front then dropped it in behind the dash right next to the windshield then behind teh carpet behind the peddals to the radio mounted under the regular stereo...whew.. here are some pics....

Mounted

Entering

Dash

Floor

When I Was Done

one more note.. i cut a groove in the foam to keep the coax from being bent at a sharp 90 when there is weight on top

so yeah ..thats whow i did it...

Thanks Steevo. Nice job. Question: Why did you go all the way from Rights side where antenna is to enter on left side? Any reason not to drill hole on Right side and then run as you did it but up the paseenger side ,past glove box to center ?-glenn

well i had a lip mount antenna before on the left side so i took everything apart to take out the old coax put the new coax in it's place....there is also no drilling involved when going through the plug... i just made a small hole then pushed the coax through the rubber..it's practically water tight...

now ur probably thinking ....if i already had an antenna and radio then Y did i start this thread..lol

my lip mount was on the very top of the pathy above the back window and was sqweezed between the body and the door metal then ran through the plug with the brake light cables in it...i was changing it to the mount on the spare tire rack and needed a different way to get the coax in...and nothing is being pinched this way...

Edited by SteeevO

i have my antenna mounted on the spare tire carrier. i just took out the pass side tailight, made a little groove in the molding just big enough for the cable to slip through. ran the cable all along in the panels and under the carpet then up through the dash. dabbed some silicone where the cable passes between the tailight and body, give it just enough slack to allow the arm to swing out...presto

i have my antenna mounted on the spare tire carrier. i just took out the pass side tailight, made a little groove in the molding just big enough for the cable to slip through. ran the cable all along in the panels and under the carpet then up through the dash. dabbed some silicone where the cable passes between the tailight and body, give it just enough slack to allow the arm to swing out...presto

I did the same thing, but I'm going to be ripping it out to mount a shorter CB antannea on the roof, I don't like having 102" of whip shaking everytime I open/close my tire carrier.

• 1 month later...

Same thing i did, worked like a charm, and i'm a fellow dsm'er/pathy wheeler...weird.....check out my site http://calgdsm.infopo.cc/eve

NOt a great pic, but you get the idea of how it's mounted:

post-6-1129237954.jpg

• 3 months later...

i orig had my firestik mounted on my bumper. i just drilled into it, put a litte plate and mounted it up. i ran the cable from the firestik down through the bumper and ziptied along the frame til i got to the little guamet (spelling?), went up through there, under carpet, into the cb. it worked great and you never saw a thing.

now i have a big ole whip. where the spare tire actually fits on, i welded a small, thin plate of steel at the very back right on the actual carrier and drill pressed a hole. now it all fits together well. i have my spare on, then you cant even see the heavy duty spring. i got black zipties and ziptied the cable to the backside part of the main carrier and routed it through a tail-light. works like a charm and you dont even see the cable, just a little bit of the ziptie.

I copied Mr. Reverse's idea. Hole was drilled through the light and into body. I'm not sure if I used a grommet for a body or sealed it with silicone. Anyhow, coax is ran along the passenger under the carpet and trim panels. Then it hooks up to my Radio Shack CB in the lower DIN. Perfect fit and screws right into the stock location.

dscf56260of.th.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

Edited by Cuong Nguyen