rear disc brake swap

transworldmoto

hey im not sure if there's already a thread about this (i dunno how to use the search thing correctly :shrug: ) but anyways, i wanna switch out my drum brakes in the back for discs, which are easily found on 1995's and such. can it be done? has anyone done it before? any threads? please for za infoooo! haha thanks

Yes, it can be done, but it is probably a bigger job than you think. I believe it involves swapping axle shafts also... There has been a recent mention of it, but I'm not sure if it was it's own thread... Try searching for 'rear disk' and 'axle shaft' and such, including the post text in the last 30-60 days.

B

i DID it a little while ago

its not that hard to do.

you will need to grab the complete axle shafts from a rear disc pathy.

once youve got them just throw them in.

make sure to replace the rear wheel bearings on the new axles. saves a lot of hassel. and gives piece of mind. well it did for me away.

i put some info up on Aarons board if you can be othered looking

Edited by sw

i DID it a little while ago

its not that hard to do.

you will need to grab the complete axle shafts from a rear disc pathy.

once youve got them just throw them in.

make sure to replace the rear wheel bearings on the new axles. saves a lot of hassel. and gives piece of mind. well it did for me away.

i put some info up on Aarons board if you can be othered looking

Linky Linky Steve??

alright, alright.....

i will try and find my photos again and re-host them so they can be viewed......

axle splines are the same.... otherwise they woundnt of fitted... :idea:

the brakes will work with the stock MC however the bias is just different

coming for someone who has been driving the car every day like this, its neither here nor there. car still pulls up good.

that being said i am wanting to customise the MC to change the bias - i will when i got some cash to throw at it.

I've really been wondering baout the thrust block inside the stock diff when the axle is equipped with drum brakes. There's seriously no need to remove the center-section and remove the thrust block from the center of the diff itself first? Holy crap, I wish I'd'a known that earlier.

Steve, try searching on the topic of using a Chevy truck brake MC instead...I hear it makes for GREAT stopping power, the MC bore's like 55% larger than the stock Nissan unit. All you need to do is cut and adapt the stock brake lines onto the new MC and oval out the mounting bolt holes to get it to fit...

All you need to do is cut and adapt the stock brake lines onto the new MC and oval out the mounting bolt holes to get it to fit...

I think a patrol MC will fit straight in without the need to adapt anything.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

The rear brakes are available on most years not just 95s, mine's got em! :D

Most junkyard pathy's I see either don't have rear discs. The only one I have seen had rusted and deeply scored rotars. Course the local yards don't have many pathys there's usually only one or none at all when I make my irregular trips to Moss Landing Pick n Pull.

haha so moss landing, huh, your on the west coast then, but i can't remember is that down towards pismo or up near half moon bay?

Yup, definatly on the west coast. SC stands for Santa Cruz!

Moss Landing is approx. halfway between Santa Cruz and Monterey, near Watsonville.

No the wheeling sucks around here, Santa Cruz is filled with a bunch of tree hugging hippies so there's no places where you can legally wheel (well I can wheel on my parents property but my parents aren't too appreciative of four wheeling :wacko: ). Seriously the county puts gates on fire trails, puts stakes in the ground and concrete blocks in front of old logging trails, they're just a bunch of spoil sports. However there are a couple of places beside the road I live on that turn into big ol mud pits during the winter. The nearest local spot to legally wheel that I'm aware of is Hollister Hills, and that's an hour drive.

Other than the spline count being different, i am pretty positive that the axleshaft length would be different as the newer style Nissan axles are wider. I'd say that unless somewhere in other markets Nissan sold R50s with discs it would be nearly impossible to do easy component swap on them.