Have a few General Questions..

Hey guys

Just bougth myself a 98 Pathfinder SE 4wd. Anyway just have a few questions, i'm going to start modifying my Pathfinder so it could be ready for off-roading, and I'm taking XPLORx4 advice and I'm starting off with the tires ... but here is my question, I've heard of you guys talk about brands like BFG's AT, which I'm assuming are BF Goodrich All Terrain, and MT's must be Mud-Terrain right? I've also heard of other brands mentioned like Bridgestone Dueler AT's, but one brand that I've haven't heard on these replies when pertaining to tires are Mickey Thopmsons, is there a particular reason why? Also Vengeful said that "Stock, you can fit 31x10.50" tires on your factory rims" are those the biggest, and how much will they run (if possible can you guys put price for each brand)?

Finally step two in my mod list will be the lift, now here is something I need to get clarify, you guys are saying that if one gets a 2" lift, one MUST get manual locking hubs is that right? Well, what if I get a 1 "lift, or is that so insignificant were its unnoticeable in the way it looks and rides to the point were i should just get a 2" lift. If that's the case how much will the 2" lift, with manual locking hubs, and shocks and struts run me? Do I have to do that in parts too, like getting the lift first, then the hubs, then the shocks and struts, and in which order? And finally brands, do they matter, or is anybrand as good as the rest.. If so, can you please specify which ones perform or last longer for the item listed above (tires, lift kit, shocks, struts, manual looking hubs) and ohh yeah air filter is it recommended yes or no? and again which type is best?

Look forward to reading your Opinions, laters.

If you are dead set on getting the lift, then I'd hold off until after you lift to get tires.

With the right backspacing on the wheels (you'll need to buy new ones), you can fit 32" tires without a problem.

Shocks and struts should be done at the time of the lift, and you can get a whole package deal from AC with the lift coils, shocks, struts, and the CAMBER ADJUSTMENT BOLTS (REQUIRED FOR ALIGNMENT).

Also the Manual hubs are not a MUST have item...but they are a SHOULD have item. You don't NEED them, but they will save you the headache of torn CV boots down the road.

I would do the lift, shocks, struts, and manual hubs all at the same time. Then get tires.

However, if you're not dead set on the lift, you can just get tires now, and hold off on the lift for a while.

For pricing, you can look everything up online.

I've got the JWT pop-charger on mine, and it's great...there is a noticible power increase and it sounds awesome. If you have the money for it, you can't go wrong.

Wow! Boatload of questions there! Geez! Got any illegal immigrants stashed away in there, too? :)

First off, welcome to the joy that is Pathfinder ownership, and to our little nook in the universe. ;)

Tires: Yes, AT=All Terrain, MT=Mud Terrain (or Maximum Traction). Mickey Thompson tires are uncommon among R50's, and are usually not as widely available at most tire store. They may have a higher premium as well. You could certainly get a set for yourself if you really like 'em, though.

Tire Research: Tire Rack is a great resource to shop for tires and do a bit of research, too. You can usually get a local tire store to match Tire Rack's prices.

Manual Hubs: Swapping to manual hubs, in my opinion, is totally independent of the lift. They provide benefits even if you never lift the truck, such as reduced driveline wear and slightly improved fuel economy. It's not absolutely essential to install manual hubs when you get a 2" lift. Many people recommend doing so, however, because the lift increases driveline angles and could cause premature wear of the CV boots. For reference, I drove for 2 years (34,000 miles) with the lift before deciding to install manual hubs. I did this a couple of weeks after a CV boot failed.

1" or 2" (actually turns out to be about 3") Lift: Why do you want to lift? Looks? Maximum ground clearance for off-roading? Better appearance? If you're into maximum ground clearance, can accept a few suspension noises until the springs settle, and are aware you'd increase center of gravity (sacrificing some cornering ability), go with 2". If you just want a more agressive look, but are unwilling to accept any undesirable side-effects and want to preserve on-road handling, go with a 1" (Old Man Emu aka "OME") lift.

Lift Prices: Visit Automotive Customizers aka "AC" or "4x4parts" for parts pricing, or google around the 'net for other sources of similar parts.

Sequence of mods: If you have limitless cash on hand, do it all at once. If you have budget constraints, install the lift (springs only) and front struts first. (KYB GR2 struts are pretty good.) Then, do the rear shocks.

Air filter: Yes, an air filter is absolutely necessary to prevent debris from entering the intake! Using a K&N filter instead of a paper filter, IMO, doesn't add appreciably more power to the 3.3L engine, but hey, it's reusable! If you want more engine performance from the wheezy 3.3L, you can replace the restrictive air intake with an open-element filter such as a Weapon-R or a JWT Pop Charger (both are available at 4x4parts under different product names, or just search google). When combined with a performance muffler, such as Flowmaster, Borla, Dynomax, etc. and a 2.25" tailpipe (getting rid of the "muffler resonator" behind the rear axle) you will gain noticeable "seat of the pants" power.

Whew! I think I covered 'em all.

Welcome to the list!

My website has some build info using the Old Man Emu coils: www.purplelizard.com

Dean and Vengeful answered your questions, but I'll chime in with my experience.

As Dean suggested, a 2 inch lift is really a 3 inch, and the 1 inch is really a 2 inch, although both will settle over time.

Both offer increased performance off-road - the AC 2 inch will maximize your off-road ability but with some relatively minor on-road inconvenience, like the topping-out noise and a higher CG. The Emu coils won't give you as much lift, but will provide a firmer ride and increased off-road performance. This is not really due to the slight increase in ground clearance, but simply the firmer suspension handles rough terrain much better than stock.

My experience with K&N filters wasn't worth the oil issues, so I went back to paper filters. This isn't the JWT intake - just the K&N drop-in filter. I had some minor problems keeping the intake dry - may be that I over-oiled it, but in hot, humid conditions I had the throttle feeling gummy and sticky. A simple cleaning took care of it, but I prefer my truck towards the zero-maintenece side so I use the paper filters and change it a few times a year depending on my driving conditions.

My personal experience with BFG ATs has been very positive as an all-around tire. One of these seasons I'll get a second set of wheels/tires with a dedicated dirt tire for that type of trip, but currently I need rubber that can drive me across the country on a moments notice, and allow me to explore trails wherever I am, so the BFGs have served me well.

Between this and the AC list you should use the search features - it may take you days of reading, but you'll find out pretty much everything there is to know about your truck!

m.

WoW great info XPLORx4, Vengeful, & Herm. Thank all of you for replying to my questions, I really appreciate all your suggestions.

I guess for now since i dont have an unlimited cash flow, i'll settle for tires, and wait on the lift. But when if I do get the lift, i'll definetly take everything that was said into consideration, but i'm leaning more towards the 1" lift because at the moment i'll be driving alot and "are unwilling to accept any undesirable side-effects and want to preserve on-road handling" as was said by XPLORx4... As for tires i'll look for some Mickey T's if not i'll settle for some BFG's AT's.

Well thanks again, for answering my questions, i'll keep updating my mods every now and then, or i'll keep asking questions, i'm sure i'll come up with some more.

Laters.