Looking for inexpensive MT tires

camo_pathmaker

Dunlop Mud Rovers or Dayton Timberline M/Ts.

I've got the Mud Rovers and they are EXCELLENT...I'll never buy another kind of tyre again...I only paid $130 each for them (BFGs were $170). Yes, I know I could have had them cheaper, but I got them mounted same day I ordered them.

They don't have side lugs like the BFGs, but I can run in 2wd with my open diffs for most anything the truck has the clearance to make it through if it's dry out. :aok:

Well for cheap Vengeful is right you can't beat the Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers, latest Road & Track Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) ad lists 32x11.5 r15 at $107 each. Kumho Venture MT's are also listed at $107 for the same size.

Also Desert Rat (www.desertrat.com) has a deal on tire and wheel packages: Cooper Tire Wildcat EXT Radial (mud terrain tread) 32x11.5 r 15 mounted and balanced on Rock Crawler black steel wheels for $699.

Also you can get retreaded tires for super duper cheap (54.99 for 31x10.5 r15 MT's!) from www.high-tec-retreading.com

I don't think they have 32" tires though...

i got the 31 x 10.5 r15 dayton timberline mt's! they do pretty good, i havent been stuck yet where my buddy with a z71 with some maxxis big horns (i think) got stuck up to his axle. he got out and i went right through it. so they haven't failed me yet. the only thing i could change would be the ride noise. i wish they were louder! my other buddy has the 285/75/16 timberline mt's too and hes gotten through everything thats been put it front of him.

I have the Kumhos (check my personal photo) and I am really happy with them. They don't look as aggressive as some MT's I see, but they are a great tire for around $100. I paid $95/e for mine. I have been up to my frame in muck and pulled out just fine, even aired to 50 PSI. Pretty good grip on rocks too. They are also really quite for a mudder, not that I care about that though. They can be a little slick on wet roads however, probably a trade-off with most MT's. I would buy them again.

Good luck with your choice. Fun!

I don't know if maybe I got a bad batch of tires or something, but I have to recommend to anyone NOT to buy the Dayton Timberline A/T's...

I had two on the rear and blew out both on the freeway at 65mph, not at the same time... They blew out about a month apart, but they still had well over half the tread left and where only about 1.5yrs old. I bought'em from a guy that had a wreck and destroyed the front of his blazer tires included... They had full pressure (32psi) and I know for sure I didn't hit anything either time...

Also, they blew out by "unwrapping" not from the sidewall...Both...

That phoked Daytons rep for my, I was just thankfull I had'em on the back... That's the only tires I've ever blow on a 4 wheel vehicle. Blown out more than 10 on big rigs, mostly due to crappy company trailer tires. But hey, that's why you have duels.

I'm also running the Kumho Venture MT's and they are gnarly tires. They have a nice deep lug pattern that will basically go through anything and they can be studded too...for crazy traction. The sidewalls aren't anything to write home about, but they get the job done. Quiet on the highway too.

even aired to 50 PSI. !

You are running WAY too much tire pressure. The recommended tire pressure for your truck is 28PSI....50PSI is the MAXIMUM air pressure the tire can safely hold. The reason you are slick in the rain is because your tires are OVER inflated and your contact patch is severely reduced.

I run my Dunlops at 32F/35R (slightly more than the recommended pressure, but I also carry a lot of weight (skidplates, sliders, tools, etc) and that pressure is where the contact patch is optimal.

I second the Timberline MTs. They were super cheap, and they are very very agressive. The side lugs get me out of deep ruts, and they steer better in muck than any other tire i've seen. We wheel in a group of trucks where every one has a different tire and the Timbos compare superbly to all tires i've seen. I can just point my wheels somewhere and the truck just goes there even in some very off camber slick deep crap. I've also done some awsome rock crawling with them and they just grab and grab.

Also they have nothing to do with the Bridgestone Dueler MTs. But they are a carbon copy of the Firestone Destination MT, however they're a bit more agressive due to the center lug direction.

Oh... and to people thay say "i haven't gotten stuck yet"... you guys just don't wheel hard enough. :laugh: On our runs... everybody gets stuck.

Edited by Filthy Luker

I've heard that Yokohama Geolander MT and AT tires are good with a good price.

I'm going to argue that.

The Geolanders are not very good tires. There are several reasons for this.

While, I have never had them on my vehicle specifically, I never will because of the experiences of several friends of mine and family members.

Every one of them has had to replace the tires within 25,000 miles of purchase because the tire wear is so uneven and severe.

The off-road performance is rather pathetic, they offer little to no improvement over street tires.

The on-road performance is down right frightening on wet or snowy roads.

If your alignment is even off by 0.001", the tires will feather like crazy and you'll have to replace them.

-thnkboutit-

When I get the money together.. I too will be goin with the Kumho MT's as well. they have a superb rating overall.. and the tire rack had them on sale a bit back for $86 each for 31x10.5x15's

Edited by Slick

I have 5 BFG MT's 33X12.5's in my shed you can have! Shipping from Australia might be a killer though! ;) I also have some 32X11.5 Super Swampers with 40% Tread left. Seriously another vote for the Kumho's from me. Good tire for the price.