2WD->4WD Conversion

SteeevO

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably try eBay. It's the Factory Service Manual (what dealers use to fix your truck). Just print yourself the few pages that you need at the time.

I printed myself the whole darn thing in duplex and it took two big binders (it was more than 1300 pages).

A guy in indonesia has made his 2wd into a 4wd and said it was pretty easy to do. All your 'fit off ends' for you diff and the like are most likely there to be used. You however have an opertunity that most others do not have. You are starting from scratch being a 2wd. It will cost you around $3,000 to get a shop (from my own exrerience) to do a live axle for you. Given that the jeep will fit straight in their without modification I'd use that and try it myself. There are plenty of live axle/SAS examples on the net, look some of them up for hints and information.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

awesome thnx, i'll try to e-mail him and see what i come up with.. after i got up and got out of the house today i went and was talking to my dad and got talking to his friends..and so on.. i think i'm going to just go get another pathy like someone mentioned earlier and just start swaping out parts. as much as i would like to do a SAS i'm gonna just keep it nissan. this way i can have everything rebuilt and have it all in during one of my breaks from school. this will be quite a project but i'll learn alot in the process. and since i'm only 19 and love this stuff i'm sure this isn't the only time i will be doing this type of work in my life :D i know i'll be building something that will turn heads in the future.

awesome thnx, i'll try to e-mail him and see what i come up with.. after i got up and got out of the house today i went and was talking to my dad and got talking to his friends..and so on.. i think i'm going to just go get another pathy like someone mentioned earlier and just start swaping out parts. as much as i would like to do a SAS i'm gonna just keep it nissan. this way i can have everything rebuilt and have it all in during one of my breaks from school. this will be quite a project but i'll learn alot in the process. and since i'm only 19 and love this stuff i'm sure this isn't the only time i will be doing this type of work in my life :D i know i'll be building something that will turn heads in the future.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Good luck and have fun with it.

^^^What he said.. and feel free to ask anything you need too. :aok:

thnx for all the help! i have already learned alot through this forum and other minor research i have done ...just in the last 2 days!! welp back to school tomorrow hitt'n the books hard. and hopfully i can get this project on the roll very soon.

thnx again

:D

Calmini is developing a SAS kit for the Pathfinders. They already make one for the Frontier which costs $1795 and I would guess the Pathy one wouldn't cost much different. Add the Dana 44 Jeep Wagoneer axle for $200-$300 and you've got it done for $2,000 or so. Check out nissan4wheelers.com. There's a few threads about the Calmini kit install. Just something to consider.

Calmini is developing a SAS kit for the Pathfinders. They already make one for the Frontier which costs $1795 and I would guess the Pathy one wouldn't cost much different. Add the Dana 44 Jeep Wagoneer axle for $200-$300 and you've got it done for $2,000 or so. Check out nissan4wheelers.com. There's a few threads about the Calmini kit install. Just something to consider.

Leaf or coil?

They have leafs on the prototype picture.

SteeevO,

If you really want to try the conversion and stay with the IFS setup, you might try lurking around the Nissan boards to find someone doing a SAS conversion and offer to take their unused parts off their hands. You'd get a lot of what you need in one shot that way.

They have leafs on the prototype picture.

SteeevO,

If you really want to try the conversion and stay with the IFS setup, you might try lurking around the Nissan boards to find someone doing a SAS conversion and offer to take their unused parts off their hands. You'd get a lot of what you need in one shot that way.

That's actually a very good idea. There are some that have been done semi-recently that I know of. And I am sure there are some in process as well.

that is a genius idea!.. i'll have to keep a look out.

just curious,..this name calmani...i have not heard of it until i started on this board are they a good company? i have always liked rancho but they don't offer much for the pathys

also what does IFS stand for??.. i'm assuming it's refering to teh nissan 4WD system tha pathys come with.

one more thing ..does anyone here have phone numbers or e-mail adresses of people that are doing or have just done a SAS?? that way i can try contacting them for parts..thnx

Edited by SteeevO

IFS=Independent Front Suspension

AFAIK, Calmini's products are first rate. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Join a couple Nissan boards and post in the "want to buy" section. Someone's bound to respond.

Edited by jj big shoe

i jsut saw the pic of th calmini SAS... wow..looks like it would be easier to do that then to try to peice together everything from scratch..i'll still need a new tranny and t-case but..ahh decisions decisions.. what do u think the price for the kit would be? have u heard n e thing on how much longer it will be till the sas kit comes out?

Edited by SteeevO

i jsut saw the pic of th calmini SAS... wow..looks like it would be easier to do that then to try to peice together everything from scratch..i'll still need a new tranny and t-case but..ahh decisions decisions.. what do u think the price for the kit would be? have u heard n e thing on how much longer it will be till the sas kit comes out?

Just a transfer case. It should bolt onto the rear or your 5 speed. I just looked too. Interesting. I remember years ago when doing a poll for the live axle front from Calmini.

ok this calmini SAS is frigg'n SWEET!!! but does it lift too or does it do a SAS at stock ride hight? i'm starting to think i should just wait for the kit.

as for needing a new tranny i was looking into that too wondering if i needed a new tranny but asfter looking at pictures from the nissan repair manual it looks like part of the tranny is different.

take a look at this pdf doc and look at page mt-33

this is out of the 1995 pathy book but i have a 1990 i don't know how much they are different

here is the link

Pathfinder 1995 ch: MT

You will not need a new transmission, however, you will need a new rear tailshaft housing to allow the transmission to bolt to the transfer case. The oil pan should already be the 4WD one. Don't forget you will need a new rear driveshaft because the transfer case will shorten the rear length. With the shifters, you should be able to remove the carpets and unbolt the huge pan that the shifters go through.

Yes it is all about what i wanna do.. i did want to just use the nissan IFS but i saw that kit on the calmini site...now it's just a matter of time of when the kit comes out and how much it's gonna run. ah man i'm like a kid in a candy store right now.

i e-mailed them asking about release date and price don't know if they will release that info yet but Y not try?

n e ways no matter which way i go (IFS or SAS) i still need to figure out the t-case and tranny

getting the new rear tailshaft housing makes sense. it shows that in the manual from factory. if i add that other housing will i have to change much insde the tranny to make it work or is it pretty straight forward after i get it apart?

Yes it is all about what i wanna do.. i did want to just use the nissan IFS but i saw that kit on the calmini site...now it's just a matter of time of when the kit comes out and how much it's gonna run. ah man i'm like a kid in a candy store right now.

i e-mailed them asking about release date and price don't know if they will release that info yet but Y not try?

n e ways no matter which way i go (IFS or SAS) i still need to figure out the t-case and tranny

getting the new rear tailshaft housing makes sense. it shows that in the manual from factory. if i add that other housing will i have to change much insde the tranny to make it work or is it pretty straight forward after i get it apart?

Wait for the SAS you'll never look back. The Gearbox (transmitions are auto) comes apart at the rear.

IFS = Independant Front Suspension

C A L M I N I - one of the priciest but best suppliers of aftermarket parts for Pathys

Surf teh Nissan boards... if, after requesting an email address or phone number via PM from someone who has done the swap... no one will GIVE you someone elses phone number or email address without their permission first.

check out calmini.com :aok: