2WD->4WD Conversion

SteeevO

All I can tell you is that if you want to offroad your Pathfinder, using IFS is the worst way to do it. It's weaker, more problem-prone, harder to align when lifted, wears out parts faster and performs more weakly than a solid axle in all areas. You'll wish you had done the solid axle later if you go with the IFS idea. I guarantee it. I'm SO sick of mine already.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what types of problems have u had with IFS?

also if i do SAS i don't want to have it be too tall i like about how it sits right now. i dont want it to be any more than 3 inches taller max. and i don't know how big it will be after a SAS. especially with the calmini kit that is comming out...also remember that what eve changes i make to my pathy it will have to be done during a break from school.

but is IFS really that unreliable??

Nah. It's great. I like having to deal with things like this after every wheeling trip.

Bent tie rods...tires pointing at each other.

toedin.jpg

bentTRE1.jpg

bentTRE2.jpg

Broken CV joint.

wreckedCV.jpg

I've also broken/bent idler arms, dented shocks, bent stock UCA's, bent a UCA spindle, and blown up stock auto AND manual hubs.

bentuca.jpg

spreadem.jpg

ooh...well i'll just have to take it easy then for a while.. i'm mostly going to be using it in the winter driving up to the mountains in the snow to go boarding. also occasional trips up to the trails above bigbear lake here is so cal.. i'll prolly do a SAS in a few years or maybe next year...but for know i'm going with the IFS. also i'm only on 30's so that takes some strain off the front end

Edited by SteeevO

naw.. i like the pathy too much :D

but ion the future i am going to want to start going on hard trips...crawling over mean crazy things, it's just a mtter of time and $$...going to college doesn't help..lol

Edited by SteeevO

ooh...well i'll just have to take it easy then for a while.. i'm mostly going to be using it in the winter driving up to the mountains in the snow to go boarding. also occasional trips up to the trails above bigbear lake here is so cal.. i'll prolly do a SAS in a few years or maybe next year...but for know i'm going with the IFS. also i'm only on 30's so that takes some strain off the front end

I use to break mine like that with (I think) 29's. I admit it took longer to do but it still happend.

Do the 4WD pathys have a driveshaft like this too? this is how mine is right now.. do i have to change it?

Drive Shafts

i also found this out

Tranny

i only need to switch around a few parts to make that swap

Tranny Gears

does this make sense? or is it just me?

If you really insist on going that route, it'd be WAY easier to simply buy a junkyard tranny/t-case still bolted together and just pull the old one and install the new ones. That's a lot of disassembly. The only place you're going to find a tranny adapter plate(etc) for the stock tranny is a dealership, and you probably don't want to know how much one of those costs new...

Yes, you need a different driveshaft. 2WD's come with a two-piece driveshaft(AFAIK), and 4WD's have a one-piece driveshaft.

it's just that my current tranny has never had n e problems and i don't want to get another one that maybe has problems. besides i'm going to put low gears in the t-case so i'm going to have it appart ne ways. y not take a extra few bolts off and just use teh same tranny.

i'm just one of those kids that always wants to know how stuff works i love working on stuff and i am very patient and determined. Even if it is a IFS when i get it done i'll have learned alot. it's also a self satisfaction thing.. i just wanna do it.

when i was at the dealer the other day asking for pics of stuff i had asked how much a t-case was...just for kicks.....i don't know if ur ready for this....$3200...lol

but those pics make sense right?

Edited by SteeevO

$3200

Now that is just absurd !!! How in the world do they justify that price ? You could easily buy an entire used Pathy for that price !! Just one more reason to call them Stealerships !!

B

I understand your ambition and willingness to tear into this project, but I think you're biting off a bit more than you can chew regarding what you expect to get done in three weeks plus your truck has over 300,000 miles on it. Unless you were born in it or you made some promise to your grandfather on his death bed or something it doesn't make a lot of sense to put this much effort into it.

Think of what you could do with the same time and money if you started to build from a better platform. You're about to spend two large to convert your truck into one you could buy for $800 with ALOT less miles on it.

You could rent a trailer to haul something like this back home, transfer your goodies to it and still have a grand left for wheels and tires and whatnot then part out the leftover stuff on message boards and ebay.

Trucks are like girlfriends...you'll always love the next one just as much. :aok:

dang, ur right.. lol.. welp i'm going to start looking for another pathy then and swapout parts ...but into the the i have now.. i'll i'll swap out the engine later... basically i'll have the new/used appathy in the one i have now.. i have just been with this white 90 pathy since i was 5 years old..lol so it' has alot of sentimental value too i have always liked this thing for some reason..

but yes instead of hunting for parts i'm just going to get another one.. i diddn't realize how cheap an old one was...

Edited by SteeevO

right now i have the rear drive shaft that has the bearing in it.. when i put the transfercase and new rear driveshaft in.. will it hit the bracket that holds the center support bearing of the old drive shaft?? it is a huge cross member that connets to both sides of the frame with the bearing in the middle. does the other rear tailcasing of the tranny and the trasfercase make it that much longer that i can leave the bearing support bar in or will i have to take it out? it's welded in so if i have to take it out is will be lots of fun... :hide:

also if someone can post a pic of thier rear driveshaft and tranny that would be greatly appreciated..

i'm also wonderig if the exhaust is routed differently onthe 4WD models. i want to get thorley headers but they are sayig they nly make them for the 4WD pathy so i'm trying to find the difference so if the exhaust is in a picture it would also be apreciated

thnx

Edited by SteeevO

well i wantedto get the headers in before winter because i snowboard alot. i probably won't be able to start tearing my pahty appart for the 4WD untill after the winter but i want to solve the leaking manifold as soon as possible. but if someone can please post pics it would help alot.

The Exhaust is routed the same on 2wd and 4wd models. If you do plan on converting to 4wd via oem style, you'll need a rear crossmember for the rear of the front differential to sit on. I've learned this a long time ago researching the conversion since I too am 2wd.

Here's what you need:

new transmission with transfer case

driveshaft

front diff

axles/cvs

new spindles/hubs

weld in crossmember for front diff

shifter boot

weld in a front cross member.... that just made things that much more fun....but thnx for the info. i'm most likely going to be getting another pahty and swaping parts... so have u already done the conversion or are you in the process?