ABS Trouble Shooting

M in KC

Here's the skinny. '91 SE Pathy with the rear ABS system. Lit the anti-lock idiot light last night. Thought it might correct itself since it lit up after some aggressive driving on loose gravel. Wrong. Still on today. Where or what should I do first? I that simply since the light is on it's not "a safety thing" since the ABSis a fail safe design. I'm just a freak who doen't like those pesky lights lighting up on his dash.

M

I don't know the ABS system on these things, but since it happened on loose gravel, have you done the obvious and crawled under/removed wheels to see if you have any rocks stuck anywhere ?? Thats where I would start....

B

"Agressive driving on gravel" might have just freaked the system out or something? Lotsa wheel spin and whatnot. Have you tried resetting the computer by removing a battery cable for a few minutes? Dunno though, good luck.

I'll get a chance to do a deep dive on it this weekend. I thought I would collect some tips or ideas before I get eyeball deep in it. The symptoms have changed a bit. The anti lock light now lights intermittently probably a loose connection. I'll post more after I have a chance to do some trouble shooting.

Tanks

M

O.K. 2 hours and four beers later I'm out of beer and original ideas. The beer thing I can handle. I've got a bottle Black Jack in the cubbard. If you ask nicely Slick I'll share. :beer:

Anyway, checked out a Chilton's for the ABS stuff. I did the initial code read and it gave me a #10. Okie dokie, so it sez to check the resistance at the control module. Ok I'm down with that. Chilton sez the control module is under the driver's seat. So I remove the seat. I highly recommend everyone do this once every 100K miles, treasures galore! Anyway no control module. WTF! Tear up half the carpet and still no module. So I sez self, the ABS actuator is under the pass. seat by the second cross member maybe Chilton was on the sauce when he wrote this chapter. So you guessed it. I pull the pass. front seat. And no control module. Again WTF! I dig around under the dash, in the engine compartment and nothing. I feel like a dumb arse but at least I can blame my temporary insanity on the juice. The control module according to chilton is an 18 wire connection. You would thing one couldn't miss something like this. But 4 beers in a couple of hours just might have imparied me that much. So can anyone point to the promised land of ABS control modules on a '91? -alcohol-

M

Sorry, only have a chiltons myself, and yes, it can be lacking. There is a link in a post around here for an on line PDF manual, so try searching for that. Just to be an ass, did you actually crawl under and physically look at things ?

B

Got ya M, it's just I have seen too many people keep asking without getting on their back and actually looking. Sorry, no slight intended ! Ok, 88 posted the link, cool ! I need to download it myself, but dial up sucks for things like that...

B

B, no offense taken. I make every atempt to in life not to be a posser. There are too many fakes and flakes running around to begin with. Like you, I appreciate the "precision" in things mechanical/electrical etc. My M.O. is to collect as much info about something before I dive in. So you will see me ask and ask and ask. I may not a wheelin' maniac like some or most around here (tip of the hat to all you mild to wild moders out there) but I do share the same passions for these red-headed stepchildren in the small SUV catergory.

I probably won't get a chance to wrench again until later tonight or tomorrow night. My bride is supporting our lifestyle which makes me the single parent on the weekends of our 4 and 7 year old daughters.

Peace Bro!

M

For those wondering where the rear ABS control module is located you will find it under the stero and in front of the stick shift on a '91. Behind the lowest kick panel/vent. I can't speak for other years but the '91's is perched majestically there. According to the trouble shooting guide for R-ABS it looks like I toasted the sensor.

M

I just skimmed the previous posts so I don't know if this has been moentioned yet. My '95 did the exact same thing you mentioned. But I may have other problems. I don't know. I have never felt my ABS come on. The only time the ABS light came on it was exactly as you said- full on, then internitent. Turns out my pads were pad. Replaced them and everything was fine. Is there some function with the ABS that makes it act as a wear sensor, or does anyone think that somehting else is going on?

Hey M, any luck fixing the issue/replacing the sensor ??

Sorry Repack, but I don't know doggie doo about ABS...

On that note, I seem to have ABS also ! Some cell phone talking, latte drinking, lip stick smearing POS cut in front of me from the right lane to the turning lane on the left directly infront of me with the brakes on while I was accelerating from an intersection !! I pushed in the clutch and hit the brakes, trying to stop and hoping to hear the howl of 31" tires locking up to scare the piss out of the stupid *itch. I barely avoided her and got no brake lock !! Pads and shoes are ok so next weekend when the GF is here, I'll bleed the system. I hope that will fix it and it is not the MC !!

Thats how stupid I am folks... I have a damaged front end and would LOVE to have it fixed on someone elses insurance dime and this was the PRIME opportunity !!! So what do I do ? Avoid it !! I should have stayed on the gas and said I didn't have time to react. Other drivers were shaking their heads so I know they wouldn't have said otherwise. I'm a chump.

B

Repack, I'm not aware of any link between pad wear and the ABS light. Did you ever read the code on the ABS light when it was lit? I did read mine and I got a 10 on the secert decoder thingy. Anyway that essentially limits my ABS light to the speed sensor on the drive shaft, faulty wiring/connection (always my personal favorite) or a junk control module.

My troulbe shooting guide goes like this, check resistance at #9 and #10 leads at control module harness. Check resistance at speed sensor coupler. Essentaily if the two reading are within range the speed sensor and the wiring harness check good. Then the only part left is the control module. The funny thing is when I went to check the #9 and #10 leads only the #10 has a wire routed to the wiring harness. Nice. No I haven't been in the juice tonight. Not yet anyway. I looked at the wiring harness scematic six ways from Sunday and no #9 wire. So I checked the #16 and #17 wires (opposite of the 9-10) and bingo the same resistance reading as the wheel speed sensor.

Well my speed sensor and wiring haress check good and within range so my problem is the control module. It looks like the module will run around 100 smackers. Eeouch! And take 2-3 days to order. I'll be placing the order tomorrow. It should be a simple plug and play install.

B, read the code when your ABS is lit and your fun starts from there. The little decoder thingy on mine any way was stuffed up under the hood latch release. Next time plow that cell phone yackin', latte sippin', lip stick smearin' wench's field for her. The sound of crunching metal is far more attention grabbing than squallerin' 31's! Plus why would you want to flat spot a perfectly good set of tires for titch like that?

M

LOL M, instincts were my downfall. Sorry about not being clear about the previous post. My truck does NOT have ABS, it just acts like it by not locking up !! :o

Glad you seem to found your fix, but sorry about the $100. With a little luck, that'll fix her... ;)

B