Rear frame

93frame003.jpg

Over rear wheel

93frame004.jpg

Over lower link mount

93frame005.jpg

This is all on the passenger side. The drivers side has no bad spots :shrug:

Edited by GrimGreg

Ouch... My guess it's the passenger side from crowned roads and the slushie on the shoulder... Thats on the 2 door, right ?? Well, at least you know how to weld; you going to get busy with some plates ? I'll write up a rust protection/treatment article tonight, you may find it helpful. :shrug: Good luck with that !

B

Took some more pics while working

Gas tank removed

93frame008.jpg

Some of the worst cut away

93frame014.jpg

93frame013.jpg

Debris from inside the frame (this is only about 1/3 of it)

93frame012.jpg

Start the rebuild in the morning P...

Well on the 95 I bought there was just surface rust so my boys and I are just sanding all the rust of then I'm going to Rocker guard it.

1 side is done took 1 day using a drill and wire bit.

I was kinda thinking man this surface rust sucks but after seeing your pics I'll shutty :X

Mine had surface rust when I bought it 3 years ago, fixed that then, all this was from the inside out. Stick your finger in the holes(that sounds crude) and feel if the inside is flaking off, that's when you know you're in trouble.

POR 15...... Gods gift to the Pathy frame world.... POR 15.

We have a gallon of it just waiting to do my Pathy, the Thunderbox, and I already painted my Chebby 4x4 frame on my project mudder. ;)

Slick thte POR15 is great stuff. On the outside of the frame it is going to help. My question has been with the totally boxed frame how do you get it on the inside??

BTW the very early Pathys were not as prone to frame rot as were the 93s on. In the midwest there is almost no rot free 95s at all. My belief is that it had something to do with thte steel formulation that Nissan switched to in the early 90s

Slick thte POR15 is great stuff. On the outside of the frame it is going to help. My question has been with the totally boxed frame how do you get it on the inside??

BTW the very early Pathys were not as prone to frame rot as were the 93s on. In the midwest there is almost no rot free 95s at all. My belief is that it had something to do with thte steel formulation that Nissan switched to in the early 90s

There are drain holes in the frame. It was designed to let water in and then let it out. What went wrong is that the water never made it out... completely.

It's not the Snow, it's the salt they throw all over so the 2wd idiots don't fall off the road. :D

I hear ya. Terrible stuff. They use it here (Toronto) like it's going out of style. In Calgary they don't use salt, just sand. Not nearly as many rusted vehicles out there I've heard.

Nice clean repair job GG. Should be nice and solid for a few more years. :clap:

Edited by Simon

I took a 6 month basic class, and got a lot of on the job training.

I think the material Nissan used on the frames was whack, it's almost like they took 5 sheets of 20guage sheet and forged them together. I have never seen steel flake apart like philo dough (baklava) until now :shrug:

It's weird, my 88 spent most of it's life in Cleveland which uses a lot more salt (get a lot more snow) than we do here (Columbus), but my 93 which has lived here is worse. The 88 has had a repair in the very back, but the rest of the frame is still solid. The body on the 88 was bad, but the frame is good. It's just odd.

Well, my 88 was a Japan made model, and my 93 was a US made model, so that might be part of it too. But I have heard they changed plants or materials or something before though.