Lockers, front or rear?

Vsicks Pathy

I was under the impression that a company in OZ made one for Nissan front diffs just like the PowerTrax Lock-Right. Yes-no? They're a simple locker, not selectable, but hey.

Yes they do. If the US had Patrols, manufactures would ship lockers to suit over there. The US do not have Patrols so I will have to pay aprox $1400 for my auto locker as opposed to a few hundred that you guys pay for the same thing. If, I was able to buy a locker from the US, regardless that it was made here (aussie locker for example) it would be less than half price including shipping. Aussie lockers don't make anything for Patrols. Lokka, on the other hand do. Yes, they are made by the same company in Adelaide, Australia. They are the same for all intensive purposes. But because one isn't shipped half way around the world, I have to pay top $.

Most people here get their aussie made lockers from the US. It just makes sense. :crazy::lol:

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that a company in NZ made one for Nissan front diffs just like the PowerTrax Lock-Right. Ah, here we are. Found it. Apparently it's not available for a Terrano or R50 Pathy, but who knows, they may be on the drawing board. They do have one available for the Patrol/Safari front axle, though. $799.

http://www.genie4x4.com/diff_lockers.htm

They're a simple locker, not selectable, but hey. It's a lot cheaper and just as effective.

See, again, the lokka is cheaper OS. Made here, exported there and cheaper? One does wonder??

Although I sort of remember the lock right brand getting a bad wrap. It is slightly different to the lokka. Made by the same people though.

Still, I'd sooner have an auto locker than an air locker. You can steer with the auto lockers.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

That was freaky. I answered one post and then answered the other without realising you had editted it? :D Your first impression was correct.

Check out this thread.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/...ghlight=lockers

These guys lean toward hardcore just a little. :D

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

hey vsicks, your MQ front axle does that have the c200 open diff in it?

I know you orgininally asked for expert opinion but it doesn't look like that will happen, so my experience educated opinion...

I got the rear lock right as you know and I do not see the benefit of the front locker over the rear. Yes I have read the link you posted (many times infact!). I understand the argument that on a hill climb the front locker could drag you up the hill but the way I see it due to physics more weight would be on the rear of the vehicle due to the incline of the hill.

In any case I went from an open rear diff to a locked rear diff and the difference has been amazing. I killed my steering (again) half way up a hill and the locker just pushed me on up whereas before I would have been totally stuck.

Also availability had a bearing on the locker I chose. I still have figured out if my Terrano has the c180 or c200 front diff so the rear was the option for me.

Edited by exodus_68

hey vsicks, your MQ front axle does that have the c200 open diff in it?

I know you orgininally asked for expert opinion but it doesn't look like that will happen, so my experience educated opinion...

I got the rear lock right as you know and I do not see the benefit of the front locker over the rear. Yes I have read the link you posted (many times infact!). I understand the argument that on a hill climb the front locker could drag you up the hill but the way I see it due to physics more weight would be on the rear of the vehicle due to the incline of the hill.

In any case I went from an open rear diff to a locked rear diff and the difference has been amazing. I killed my steering (again) half way up a hill and the locker just pushed me on up whereas before I would have been totally stuck.

Also availability had a bearing on the locker I chose. I still have figured out if my Terrano has the c180 or c200 front diff so the rear was the option for me.

The quote from the artical actually says this.........

"However if the hillclimb requires large rocks, gullies or shelves to be driven over, then a front locker will drive over the obstacle rather than being pushed up it from behind."

I spoke with cheezy about the best option. As you more than likely know, he does this stuff for a living and drives comps all of the time. He suggested the front too. He gave me his reasons, which were much the same as my thoughts anyway, just with a couple of other interesting things added.

Each to their own. :aok:

I agree, each to his own. I was just putting it the way I understand the physics of it. The front tyres have to drag the rest of the vehicle up the hill. But as you say, cheezy would have plenty of experience for it, so yeah it is interesting.

I don't have any experience with a front locker to compare it to but I definately have no regrets with a rear locker. On or Off the road. But who knows, maybe the front locker would have been more effective!?

Thanks 88, I forgot my letters to go with my numbers. So definately a r200...ok cool.

What about your MQ front axle vsicks? What diff is in there?

I agree, each to his own.  I was just putting it the way I understand the physics of it.  The front tyres have to drag the rest of the vehicle up the hill.  But as you say, cheezy would have plenty of experience for it, so yeah it is interesting.

I don't have any experience with a front locker to compare it to but I definately have no regrets with a rear locker.  On or Off the road.  But who knows, maybe the front locker would have been more effective!?

Thanks 88, I forgot my letters to go with my numbers.  So definately a r200...ok cool. 

What about your MQ front axle vsicks? What diff is in there?

The front is a C200. I am 99.9% sure.

Edit. Just did a check on OL and now I am 100% sure. C200 it is.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

due to physics more weight would be on the rear of the vehicle due to the incline of the hill. 

kinda.. you're forgetting that there is a hunk of steel up front weighing things down

I think the're talking about really really really steep inclines. Like a wall for example. :lol:

Just playing with you.

While I cant see the whole trail, why did you go in the rut, when you could have gone around on one side and transversed it if it recrossed the road ?

B

As you know, pictures never do a track justice. The track was steep and on an angle. The arse end (lsd) lost traction and slid accross into the ruts. I had to put the front in to stop it cross axling. A front locker, and I would not have stopped. Both rears were spinning. Thats an old pic. I still have the IFS back then.

Right, I understand and been there myself. Just didn't seem right other than problems/no choice, thats why I said "I cant see the whole trail", and yes photos will make insanity look tame... How did you get out ?

B

Right, I understand and been there myself. Just didn't seem right other than problems/no choice, thats why I said "I cant see the whole trail", and yes photos will make insanity look tame... How did you get out ?

B

Backwards. Very slowly too I might add. I couldn't drive the bloody hill. :(

LOL, that sucks. I remember walking up a long, muddy rutted trail to look. Got back in the truck, and my buddy says 'what do you think ?'. I said 'Sheer stupidity to try, don't think we could make it...". We were wheeling alone and didn't have a winch. Sometimes there is no point in trying...

B

LOL, that sucks. I remember walking up a long, muddy rutted trail to look. Got back in the truck, and my buddy says 'what do you think ?'. I said 'Sheer stupidity to try, don't think we could make it...". We were wheeling alone and didn't have a winch. Sometimes there is no point in trying...

B

Thats the fun part, trying. Untill things go bang that it. :laugh: