Tell me if i am getting hosed

dfather99

$412 to replace the timing belt and thermostat on a 1992 pathifinder. I know it takes a some time to do, however i was quoted 55 dollars for the belt and another fifty for the thermostat plus about 300 for labor plus tax. just wanted to make sure b/c i am no where near my trustworth mechanic and i just don't want to get hosed

From what I have heard, replacing the timing belt is a PITA, mainly to get to it. Most people suggest replacing the water pump at the same time as it is darn near the same work. Kinda buying insurance if you know what I mean. I dont know what hourly rate this shop is charging, but about $400 seems appropriate. This is an estimate, but I'm sure people who have done it will agree.

B

yeah that is true ( i hate insurance lol) and i called around and it's all the same deal, and the water pump puts about another 100 on the bill. I'll want to do this cause i'm driving from new mexico back to school in new york and i want no problems (this is why i don't want to do it myself) so it looks like i'll have to write off the exhaust work for next summer.

Some people are scared of getting the timing wrong and/or having to re-do it if it's wrong. That or they don't own enough tools to do the job right...and if your Pathy is your only vehicle, you can't really have much down-time for repairs.

I've done four t-belts on two different VG30's and I've got it down to about an 8-hour project if I go easy and take my time.

Some people are scared of getting the timing wrong and/or having to re-do it if it's wrong. That or they don't own enough tools to do the job right...and if your Pathy is your only vehicle, you can't really have much down-time for repairs.

I've done four t-belts on two different VG30's and I've got it down to about an 8-hour project if I go easy and take my time.

8 hours!

"THUD!"

I have just fallen and can't get up. Sounds like it would be quicker to remove the engine and change it while it's out.

I dont have the tools, and I am assuming this dude doesent have them either. The cost of the tools, downtime, and the chance that you mess it up outwieghts the cost of getting it done, especially when its something that only needs replacing every hundred thousand.

Belt change intervals are 60,000 miles for the 87-92 VG30, and 105,000 miles for the 93-99 with the VG30 and VG33.

8 hours!

"THUD!"

I have just fallen and can't get up. Sounds like it would be quicker to remove the engine and change it while it's out.

Hey, I like to take my time. I clean everything off, usually re-paint the brackets and pulleys, do it exactly right and not have to cut any corners. I might also add that this is including a water pump, thermostat and t-belt change, not just the belt itself.

Belt change intervals are 60,000 miles for the 87-92 VG30, and 105,000 miles for the 93-99 with the VG30 and VG33.

8 hours!

"THUD!"

Hey, I like to take my time. I clean everything off, usually re-paint the brackets and pulleys, do it exactly right and not have to cut any corners. I might also add that this is including a water pump, thermostat and t-belt change, not just the belt itself.

I take my engine out when I have to do things up front on it. It takes about .5 hour to get out, thats with a couple of beers too. :)

5 hours 8 hours I think this is a project i should have someone else do. cause i don't want to get halfway out and have to go find a part, or a tool, or worse comes to worse not relize what the hell i am doing. lol so i'll call today and schedule the appointment. :beer:

ouch! I paid $25 for the t-belt, and $49 for the H2o pump.....and did it all (including new pvc valve and t'stat) in about 6 hrs....I kept making Dave turn teh motor again because the marks didn't look "dead on" to me and I freaked.. I am still adamant the mark is 1 tooth off..... adamant....gut feeeeeeeeeling.....Pathy runs great tho...... :shrug:

Yes, yes... The record times are IF you have a good place to work, IF you are mechanical, IF you have all the tools, IF you have done it before... Blah, blah, blah. 88 said it well in his first post. While it would be nice to save the $, not everyone is in the position to do it for 1 reason or another. I think we should respect that.

B

Yes, yes... The record times are IF you have a good place to work, IF you are mechanical, IF you have all the tools, IF you have done it before... Blah, blah, blah. 88 said it well in his first post. While it would be nice to save the $, not everyone is in the position to do it for 1 reason or another. I think we should respect that.

B

:clap: I do agree B & 88. Although I had never done a t-belt.. it was shortly after I had removed the motor (and reinstalled it)..so I knew my way around.. AND I was fortunate enough to have Dave helping me... AND.. I had a 20x10ft tent to work in..AND all the tools I could possibly need...as well as some I am better off avoiding... :X

Although it's not that bad of a job.. it can be time consuming if:

• 1: You've never done it before
  • 2: You don't have a fairly equipped toolbox
  • 3: You don't have an appropriate place to do it.
  • 4: You are not very mechanically inclined

That said, you can probably get the parts for less than they are charging.. I got my last T-Belt for $21 iirc. But if your not comfortable doing it and don’t have someone capable of doing such things helping or at least advising, shell out the cash and have a shop do it.

yeah me and my dad can do it in like an hour, but thats because hes been doing it for like 32 years and he works on used cars, trade ins, at a dealer so we have a very laarge assorment of tools at my house, ive got a 350 small block in pieces out in my garage and me and him rebiult the engine for his bronco 2 in about a week, when you have all the tools the

funmeter2.gif is all the way up

B

That's part of it. I go to my Step-Dad's shop because he has all the air tools and such that help speed the process along.

Buying the belt with the timing marks on the belt makes the job alot easier. I basically ignore the marks on the engine shrouds. If you have a non factory oil pump, you do not have a mark for the crank anyways. Takes me a long time just because I never can string more than a couple of hours together at a time. I'd guess I take 6 hours off and on to complete. A good belt from Gates should cost around $20 and just plan on changing it every year. (I can not wait to hear the comments on that one) :confused:

with over 200,000 miles, I've done mine several times, an hour to two is what it takes once you have a clue to what you are doing and all the right tools in your box.

Get a manual and try it yourself, do it all in one day, that way you don't forget anything, and save LOTS of money.

$650 dollars well spent. belt had many tears in it and water pump was leaking, and thermostat was sticking. I think it was 650 because i watched them do it. but i am glad i did not do it. but the pathy seems to drive better, or maybe it's just my subconscience of spending $650

I think it was 650 because i watched them do it

LOL, I know the feeling, and I'm pretty much the same way. I've 'helped' smog techs check my car right before, etc... ;)

A few tears eh ? GLAD you did it now !! Congrats on the peace of mind, now go have fun !! :D

B