Doublers

TrailChaser

I've been reading about doublers (like the Off Road Design Doubler kit) and now I'm wondering what's the point??? :huh:

I realize it doubles your low range, but why would you want that??? Is regular low range not enough? I feel like it's plenty low. I can creep down hills without the brakes I can give myself whiplash if I goose it. I can pull anything out, or spin the tires.

Is this just for rock crawlers to be able to run real slow with lots of power, or is this a thing that would be good for all 4x4's to have?

It's mostly for Rock Crawling, just allows the motor to turn those big tires on the rocks with more torque and less speed so they grip the rocks and not spin so much. Our T-cases are one of the better ones stock for low gear, a lot of others use the doublers to drop their high stock ratio down.

Haven't you ever been in a situation where you need to just barely inch along while watching something really closely to avoid disaster? And end up having to slip the clutch mercilessly? That's when a doubler comes in handy. Clutch saver!

I heard of one done on a Hardbody that had the engine tranny and t-case swapped. There is also a guy on Pirate that was working on divorcing a TX10A case, but it looked like a hell of a lot of custom milled parts. The 720 T-cases are able to be doubled, but they also have a different output.

If anything I would rather do a dual stick mod on my Pathy.

Not to mention the SAS... I had never heard of that before, but then I'm not an offroad guru, just a machinist thats handy with a wrench... Nice truck !! I'll always have a soft spot for the 720's after owning one...

B

Dual Transfer Cases are more common on some other trucks, like Toyota's for example (Advance Adapters makes a unit to mate two T-Cases together for them). But I have seen very little in the way of Pathfinders/HB's having a dual setup.

No I don't mean dual T-cases, I mean twin sticks for the T-case like you can with an Atlas or D300. Basically there are 2 shift forks inside the T-case, but only one shifter, so you rig it up so that you have a shifter for each fork. It can allow you to use your T-cases Lo gear in 2wd, or lo gear in front high in the rear, etc. Can cause harm if used incorrectly, but can also help in certain situations.

No I don't mean dual T-cases, I mean twin sticks for the T-case like you can with an Atlas or D300. Basically there are 2 shift forks inside the T-case, but only one shifter, so you rig it up so that you have a shifter for each fork. It can allow you to use your T-cases Lo gear in 2wd, or lo gear in front high in the rear, etc.  Can cause harm if used incorrectly, but can also help in certain situations.

hmm, I thought he was asking about the first post. :confused: My mistake.

As for the dual sticks, I have often considered doing that conversion on my other truck. Your right though.. used right it can be very usefull.

If you have manual hubs, you can use 2WD low anytime you want. Just leave the hubs unlocked and shift 'er into 4LO.

This is true and I agree completely (thus part of the reason I have never done it) but for some the fact that it saves trips in and out of the truck, makes it all worth it.