4 Wheel Hi taking long time to engage

SC88Pathy

Yesterday I decided to throw it into 4 hi to make sure everything was working good, but it took a long time for the 4x4 light to turn on, had to go about 50 feet for it to engage, before it would only take about 10 or 15 feet to engage. What could be causing this?

Sensor related ? The light means nothing, the wheels mean everything... I'm sure you can tell if the truck is in 4x4 without the light... Get on the dirt, engage 4x4, roll 10 feet, then tap the gas. $10 says you are in 4x4 regardless of the light.... I could be an idiot though... Naahhhh...

B

LOL yup, as far as I know your light says nothing about it being engaged for not. It just tells you that the lever is in one of the two 4WD positions.

My Yota did not have a functioning light for a year or more after I bought it, But I could alway's tell when it was in 4WD. Then one day I decided that it was time the dumb thing worked. Having already tried replacing the bulb, I crawled underneath and checked wiring... I discovered that it had been ripped right out of the connector to the switch... fixed that and have regretted it ever since.. the light is freaking bright! :blink:

The Paths light works fine, comes on when the transfer case lever is moved to 4WD.

If the light is not coming on right away it may vary well be a wiring/switch problem.

yeah, the light really mean nothing.. as soon as ylu engage the transfer case you get power going to all 4 wheels.. then of course the front has to lock for it to be useful...

sometimes i have trouble telling if both fronts are locked or not... backing up tells you that if you hear 2 pops when the fronts unlock.

My 4x4 light doesnt even work. I have never had a problem with my 4 wheel drive NOT engaging. It almost always works instantly! Well at least to my knowledge... Im almost positive.... SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!! YOU'VE GOT ME DOUBLE GUESSING MYSELF :angry:

JK JK JK :P

Rami