If You Could Buy Any Type Of Spark Plugs.

TrailChaser

I've been looking at the Bosch Platinum 4's... Or maybe NGK's...

I want the most bang for my buck, and at about $6 apiece they need to be the best. Or I could just grab the Autolites for $1.39... :o

So throw in some thoughts on new plugs now that I know about the nifty little bag under the back seat.. :D

Stock NGK plugs work fine :) Although I'm running some Bosch Plat 4+ You could shell out for the high dollar NGKs or just put in an upgraded iginition system like MSD or Jacobs. In all honesty, I can't really tell a difference between a stock and a high performance plug. Only way to tell is hooking up the vehicle to a dyno and test for emissions as well.

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

I just put in bosch plat 2's and It seems as though I can tell a difference ( could just be psychological cuz I know their new), but it definitely idles smoother, btw theres a piece of paper in the package that says if you dont see/feel an improvement then they will give ya a refund

Well I got the NGK Iridiums off ebay last year I believe along with the NGK plug wires. Paid about $6 a piece for the iridiums but they are supposed to last way longer than the Plats from what I've heard so I decided to go with those so I won't have to deal with PITA #6 plug very often.

Definitely is a difference from the butt dyno swapping out the old Autolite plugs and wires.

If you feel a need to change only every 100K miles, go with the +4. They will continue to function acceptably well for a longer period than regular plugs - which is why they were developed. To allow 100K mile service intervals.

I prefer to use standard NGK's and change ever 25K or so. Leaving a plug in for years gives it too much of a chance to fuse itself in there permanently. I like to pull them out, check out how thinks are looking, and replace every 2 years. Just a way to "check the pulse" of the engine.

Don't forget the anti-seize on the threads!

lol. I have found they have worked well for me B. They tend not to foul as much, good spark, and I change plugs every third oil change anyway.. sooo....

alrighty now i have a question... if i only get half of the plugs done before i have to go to work tomorrow, is there a problem with driving around with one bank having new plugs and the other having the old ones? will the engine get confused or should they not make THAT much difference?

Shouldn't make any difference Statikuz. Remember that your cylinders generally do not have exactly the same compression, fuel/air mixture, etc so all cylinders are putting out slightly different force. While these are fine motors, they dont fall into the 'delicate swiss watch' category. I prefer to take all the plugs out and lay them out in order and inspect them. It sometimes can tell you if some cylinders are running hotter, richer, have blowby, etc but no biggie if you did 1 a day... :D

B

hehe well they all look pretty yucky, one had all sorts of grit in the threads when i pulled it, the others are all black at the tips so far... two more to go =D i couldn't tell you what was wrong with a cylinder just by looking at the spark plugs so i figure the engine ought to be happy just having clean ones ;)

later that day...

alrighty cool, got all 6 of them in, probably took me a grand total of about an hour with the use of the nifty spark plug changing tools... replaced the old grimy ones with platinum 4's, yeah i know they're spendy and probably not worth it but i couldn't find a place in town that had the NGKs and i didn't want to wait for shipping. so sue me =Da little more powerful acceleration and a smoother idle i think but i might just be nuts. :D

Edited by statikuz

Hmm...lawn mower plugs? Might have to switch out to champions then...my lawnmower I bought from an old Codger who fixes up old ones and sells them. Got it for $45 and it runs like a "Champion."

J/K about swapping out to Champions... :D

I put in +2 Bosch's at the last tune up probably 10K miles ago. No way was I paying for the bling of the +4, and these seem fine. I'll play the devil's advocate here and say that anything, as long as its changed regularly within specs, is fine and obviously better than being a cheap a$$.

By the way, I think the +2's were like $2.50 each or so.

Edited by Mr. Pickles