ECM Update

Trainman

Had the SES light on, so took it to the dealer. An O2 sensor had failed but is working now “but should be replaced” ($230).

The dealer also wants to update the ECM software, apparently my truck has never had this done and is many versions out-of-date :shrug: . Cost: $75 (1 hour labour). Dealer could not tell me what I would get for my $75 (plus $25 in fuel to get there and back plus wear and tear). Anyone know if this is worth it or what the updates do? Dealer says its like updating Windows :X now there is a scary thought!

Anyone had this done and noticed anything, good or bad?

Thanks,

Will

If your truck is under 80,000 miles the reprogram should be covered by your powertrain warranty.

Thanks patz300 :clap: , it is still under powertrain warranty, I will "remind" the dealer :contract: .

How about O2 sensors, are they covered under the emission warranty :shrug: ?

If your truck is under 80,000 miles the reprogram should be covered by your powertrain warranty.

Well in Canada it is not :furious: . Also, my own mechanic (who has nothing to gain from this) says it is probably a good idea to do the update. With the update and the O2 sensor, it will be $450. The cost to my mechanic for just the sensor is about the same as what the delear will do the supply and install for.

I've never heard of an ECU Update, a remap for more power (Eg Jim Wolfe) maybe, but it seems that if there is an updated version of FACTORY code it would be available for free.

Even HP doesn't charge for updating to the current printer firmware.

I'm not that up to date on ECU HW/SW, but thats just my $.02

Edited by Harbinger

I had my ECU update after my second o2 sensor went out. I check a couple of dealers and got the same price $65 for an update (1 hour labor) plus the cost of the O2 sensor. The update wasn’t covered under warranty because it was part of the emission that wasn’t covered under the emission warrant. I confirmed this with the owner’s manual, because I don’t trust anything the dealer says. Anyway the results were good, the truck runs a lot smoother and the shake I had at ideal is gone, plus my SES light hasn’t given me anymore trouble. I would recommend it. It’s was $65 well spent.

I had the O2 Sensor replaced with the update on the computer an it came out to be $273.09. Sounds like your guy is trying to make some extra $$$$. I had mine done at the stealer so it was about $65 for the reprogram, $100 + for the O2 sensor and whatever for labor at tax. hope that helps. :D

Thanks Trialsin26.

In Canada, the cost to a shop just for the O2 sensor is about $220!, so the dealer can actualy do it cheaper than an outside shop as they charge about $220 including labour.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I had to take the beast to the dealer to get the right rear window fixed (it was stuck in the down position, needs a new drivers side switch unit) so had them do the ECM upgrade as well. I noticed a significant change on a long, steep hill coming home. I use the cruise and have the transmission out of OD for the accent of the hill. Before the upgrade, the truck would almost seem to pause at several points going up the hill, almost like the gas was being let off. This did not happen today.

I will monitor any other changes, especially fuel consumption, and let you know. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Edited by Trainman

If you have not already replaced your sensor, you might try Bosch4Less That link should take you right to the results for your truck.... assuming that the Canadian trucks use the same sensors as US trucks do.

The prices range from about $50USD to just short of $97USD

I am also not sure if they ship to Canada, but it might be worth a try... give them a call and see.

Thanks RedPath88, thats a great link. I have not yet done the sensor (the SES light went out) so I will check these guys out, can't see why they would not send to Canada. Our money is as good as anyones (just need more of it :laugh: )

No problem, I ordered an O2 from them not long ago and had no problems with them at all.

The sensor they sent me was a perfect fit and the tanks I've drained since installing, have shown better gas mileage.