front sway bar

mudfinder

hey guys, while my path is still in the driveway, my neighbors driveway to be exact, all part because of the UCA bolt that i broke, i decided to take the front sway bar off. i can't drive it yet because the new bolts haven't arrived yet from the dealer. is it safe w/out the front sway bar? i know it's fine for the rear. i left put my rear sway back on, i freaked out after what happened when i disconnected the rear sway. just thought i asked. oh yeah, anyone else have the front sway removed?

I've got mine off. I couldn't tell you the difference in handling because the driver's side mount was broken when I bought it, but it never felt scary or anything. The new shocks made for a little stiffer ride, but it felt a bit more stable in turns. The biggest difference was replacing the worn center link.

I have Superlift UCA's, 32" BFG A/T's, ProComp ES 3000 shocks w/ stabilizer, and a new center link and it feels fine at highway speeds, on exit ramps, and everywhere else. As long as your sway bar isn't somehow compensating for some other worn part you'll prolly be ok.

I have mine off as well. I drove the 5 all the way from Vallejo to Seattle and didn't notice any real difference. I'm runnin about 2.5" lift with 31's and rancho 9k's. I've heard it's recomended to do the opposite, but with the lift it was at too much of an angle and smashin the bushings to waste. I tried puttin in longer drop links, but then tthe bar hit my tie rods, and didn't want to bend those, so off it came.

Just don't go speeding around corners like me, and ease up on the sudden movements. :takebow: Slow down and take it easy, and you should be fine. I'm the opposite, not only do I leave the sway bar, but I went to poly bushings to stiffen it up. Nothing a quick wrench couldn't fix if the wish presents itself :aok: For you other lifted guys, how is the roll without the bars? Mine already mildly leans at close to 6" (2.5-3" susp., 3" BL).

Edited by Mr. Pickles

i went wheelin the other day, here are some pictures. check out how the front tire is stuff. it didn't do that before. :D and with the rear sway off, flexed pretty good.

also another i think i noticed w/ out the front sway is the ride is alittle nicer. i did drive on the freeway, no sway at all. the ride on the trail was alot smoother.

post-1-1118968700.jpg

Edited by mudfinder

here's a picture of my path at the same location but at different times. the one on the left was couple days ago w/out the sway bar, and the one to the right is from almost a year ago, right after i got it lifted, with sway bar. huge differnece i think.

post-1-1118969146.jpg

:eek: WOW! That is a HUGE difference. I think I'm going to take mine off now. Just the rear for now. I'm also a HOT HEAD driver if you make me be. That's the last thing I need right now is to ROLL my Baby! Loving the flex though!

:beer:

Keep your brain engaged and it is possible to drive on the street without sway bars 99.99% of the time. But as an engineer, I have to point out the negative ramifications.

Abrupt steering input on the street will result in abrupt weight shifts and the elimination of the body roll reducing sway bars will increase (dramatically) the risk of the "feet in the air syndrome". It's pure and simple physics.

And if you lift the center of gravity by lifting the rig, the risk increases even more.

So if she rolls over, please don't blame Nissan! They kept them relatively low and installed sway bars to reduce the chances of rollover in normal day to day use. Don't tamper if you're not ready to accept responsibility for the results.

Do NOT try to make abrupt evasive swerving manuevers on dry pavement without the sway bars attached. The resulting change in perspective can be disconcerting... Off road, it is almost no risk as the tires will (generally) slide long before they generate enough side load to trip up the truck and roll it.

Personally, I will not drive in normal day to day traffic without them attached. Too many idiots out there requiring periodic evasive manuevers. My safety is worth the expense of figuring out a method to easily unhook them for off road use. For now, I live with the lack of flex.

The biggest differance you will feel on road is when you get the car sideways. When it lets go, it will tend to want to hang out alot longer (easier to spin out) and you will have to adjust your steering and drive input to compensate. The same applies to raised cars too. No big deal.

Keep your brain engaged and it is possible to drive on the street without sway bars 99.99% of the time. But as an engineer, I have to point out the negative ramifications.

Abrupt steering input on the street will result in abrupt weight shifts and the elimination of the body roll reducing sway bars will increase (dramatically) the risk of the "feet in the air syndrome". It's pure and simple physics.

And if you lift the center of gravity by lifting the rig, the risk increases even more.

So if she rolls over, please don't blame Nissan! They kept them relatively low and installed sway bars to reduce the chances of rollover in normal day to day use. Don't tamper if you're not ready to accept responsibility for the results.

Do NOT try to make abrupt evasive swerving manuevers on dry pavement without the sway bars attached. The resulting change in perspective can be disconcerting... Off road, it is almost no risk as the tires will (generally) slide long before they generate enough side load to trip up the truck and roll it.

Personally, I will not drive in normal day to day traffic without them attached. Too many idiots out there requiring periodic evasive manuevers. My safety is worth the expense of figuring out a method to easily unhook them for off road use. For now, I live with the lack of flex.

Well said mws.

I think I'll give it a try on my rig, was going to head up to the foothills this weekend anyway :-)

My Pathy's primarily a trail vehicle anyway B)

First thing I took off of my 88 was the sways. I hate the darn things. As for weight shift and high speed manuvering, I was going 70 (with the back end loaded with camping/wheeling gear) when some moron in an F150 merging on the freeway decided to whip right in front of me going well less than 70. I swerved hard into the next lane without any trouble. :shrug:

I've got the front completely off and the rear has bad links (so it doesn't do much good), on my 99. I did notice a slight increase in body roll during panic maneuvers, but it is not to the point where I wouldn't feel comfortable driving the truck 75mph on the interstate.

At one point, I had taken the rear completely off, and the body roll increased a little bit. It wasn't to the point where I was scared, but it would definitely have taken some getting used to, and I wasn't used to it after a couple of days, so I put it back on. (This was before the links went bad...currently the body roll is about halfway between where it was with good links and where it was without the sway on at all...right where I like it!).

I must say though, without the swaybars, the truck rides a lot smoother, and bumpsteer was reduced dramatically. I also get a lot more articulation out of the front. I know what you're thinking..."Front flex on a Nissan? Go on!!"...but I'm serious, I can max out the compression on one side and the droop on the other. Before, with the sway in place, I could only get about 2-3" of independent travel, now I get full articulation...it's WONDERFUL...ALSO, my struts don't seem to top out as much without the swaybar as they did with it...

So...if anyone wants a swaybar for an R50, I've got one sitting in my garage collecting dust...and it will continue to collect dust forever...hehe. :laugh:

after 4wheeling, i always reconnect the rear sway. i leave the front off, i don't feel any differences. but the other day, i went again, but this time, i was too lazy to put the rear sway back on. i was on a pretty curvy cayon on the way down, i was taking it easy and was not a problem. did NOT feel any body roll or anything. i took the streets home with an average of 25-30mph. freeway wise, i'm not going on the freeway w/out them.

if i did roll, why would i blame Nissan? :confused: i'll just flip it back and continue on my way.