Are these leagal in the States?

MaritimeMan

Uniden scanning CB

From all the searching I've done, I can only find them for sale in Australia. I wonder if they're leagal to use in the US, with the scanning feature and all. I wouldn't mind gettin my hands on one of thses bad boys either way. Might have to make a few calls. or better yet, emails, cheeper, heh.

M.M.

Yes they can tell the difference, but you'd have to really give them a reason to want to find you.

The thing about CB's is that truckers have made it really easy to do pretty much whatever you want with a CB. There are a lot of truckers out there that run linears up too 500watts. It's about like buying a pioneer CD player for your car and adding an amp for better power. Linears are highly illegal in the US, but that doesn't mean you can't buy one from ANY CB shop out there.

Almost all CB's are turned down from the factory. The 4watt law is the reason for this. If you take just about any CB to a good CB shop and tell them you want it "Peaked and Tuned" they will turn your watts up to a good/higher setting where you'll get 6-8 watts out of it. I've had a lot of work done on mine and w/out a linear I'm pushing between 10-12 watts from the antenna, but that's with a beefier aftermarket board and other toys. It's nice to be able to talk above other people if you really need to, and get a few more miles of talking room. It does kinda suck for close range (less than about 100'), but I can just turn down the power will a dial.

As long as you don't: make threats of violence, use bad words, or run insane amounts of power from a fixed location you shouldn't ever have to worry about the FCC. As far as the bad word thing goes; I don't really think they care unless they get multible complaints from the same area. I've been around some real bad mouths on the CB since I was a kid and I've never heard of anyone getting a fine, yet. I have heard of the FCC going to truckstops and writing tickets to the linear runners tho.

Edited by TrailChaser

I have a friend runnin a 900 watt linear....that thing is rgeat to watch when it frys antennas! He had his "tweaked" in Petaluma....which I know is close to you bernard. I don't have a cb now.. need to get a new one... fried the last one in teh Jeep. :unsure:

Here's a neat CB trick... Tape a small flouresent tube (Colman Lantern type) to the top of your antenna with black tape. When you key the mic to talk it'll light up the flouro tube without it being plugged in to anything... Kinda wierd to see, but I've always heard it not good for the CB.

CB tip of the week: Never key the mic on a CB that doesn't have an antenna attached... You really shouldn't even turn on a CB unless both the mic and antenna are attached. People frequently fry their brand new CB by not knowing this.

P.S. If/when you go to a CB shop WATCH closely and ask questions... Learn as much as you can.

Yeah, I definitely want to get a CB... Some time soon I hope... Slick, where in Petaluma did your friend go ? I'm not just close, I live there... Could be good info.

B

Thanks for the info trailchaser! I'm still in the middle of a CB install, having problems with how to ground the antannea. Am Also wondering if the the cheap used CB I bought is fried or not. To early in the install to tell!

Thanks again man!