Order New A/C compressor & 3 in a row have the wrong wiring

Posted (edited)

What I have received from two different manufacturer attempts through RockAuto and had asked for a pic from someone on Ebay and they all were this: 

a-c-condensor.jpg

It is missing the secondary wire that comes from the back area. I attempted to attach that pic what is in my 95. Any suggestions? Ideas. The plug on the attached image above is similar to the large plug that is "bolted" down in the stock photo below. 

shopping.webp

Edited by PamPoovey

I experienced this years ago with my '83 Yota's alternator, turned out 1983 was the experimental year for the upcoming redesigned 1984 models.  My truck was one of only 300 units produced in the NA, with that alternator.  Anyway, after striking out at several different parts stores, private, local and larger chains I managed to walk into just the right Schucks Auto Supply. The guy behind the counter refused to believe that he could not get me the correct part.  So, after hour or two of searching, pulling parts and physically comparing, I walked out with the right one! Turns out it had been used on a 70's Corolla or something, don't remember and doesn't matter anyway as they, now O'Rielly Auto Parts, can properly identify the alternator... coincidence? :shiftyeyes:

Anyway, my point is that unless someone here can get the part number right for you, perhaps you should take it to, or into, a local parts store. :aok:

NPD lists 92600-57G00. Still available, possibly because they want so much for it.

Weird that the thermal protection switch is missing on the aftermarket ones. I wonder if they built it into the coil, or if they just didn't bother with it at all.

Posted (edited)

Just took a look at rockauto myself, you didn't by chance happen to order the Four Seasons one, did you? Looks like it has that "other" connector:

53766845408_a8ffa717da.jpg

Edited by peejay

5 hours ago, peejay said:

Just took a look at rockauto myself, you didn't by chance happen to order the Four Seasons one, did you? Looks like it has that "other" connector:

53766845408_a8ffa717da.jpg

Yes, that was one of the ones I have ordered. I had orded the GDP as well, and same issue. I had contacted someone on Ebay who had the same stock image for Four Seasons, but they said it only had the one wire. 

9 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

NPD lists 92600-57G00. Still available, possibly because they want so much for it.

Weird that the thermal protection switch is missing on the aftermarket ones. I wonder if they built it into the coil, or if they just didn't bother with it at all.

It definitely is weird! And now, extremely frustrating. The It's nearly 30yrs old and either ppl I contact think I am bonkers and don't want to help me or I keep running into the same road block. 

I do not see how I can get by with just the single wire with how it is suppose to plug into a smaller plug and the incorrect ones keep coming with a large plug. 

21 hours ago, RedPath88 said:

Anyway, my point is that unless someone here can get the part number right for you, perhaps you should take it to, or into, a local parts store. :aok:

That's cool that someone took interest in helping you. I have not having such luck. Some are even treating me like I am crazy and wasting their time. I know my baby is almost 30yrs, so it makes it even tougher. I can't go to Autozone or O'Reilys, they have to order the part, according to their website. 

Mmm. Hard to tell from the pics but most likely you have the trigger + wire on one connector and the ground - on the other (grounding the compressor elsewhere) - confirm in the FSM.

In order to save money and increase compatibility across different makes/models, aftermarket suppliers will sometimes just ground it to the case (and on through the engine block). In this way the compressor will work on both single plug and dual plug models - at least in theory.

It will probably work fine if you just connect the connector with the + trigger and leave the other disconnected.

Alternatively (what I would do) is cut off the ground connector from the old compressor and butt splice it onto ground wire on the new compressor.

Thank you for the information! I am not that experienced with electrical. 😢 I get what you are saying. 

I re ri Ed my 4th incorrect one yesterday. After talking to customer service, which I did before I even placed the order and they still sent me the wrong one -this new customer service claims they were able to verify themselves and that I am receiving a misboxed one. They say they're shipping me a replacement next day shipping. 🤞🤞🤞

Posted (edited)

Good luck. Is this still from rock auto? The original one on mine is pissing from the front shaft seal (just oil for now, still holding charge). But replacing the condenser and entire front of the truck, so may as well swap a new compressor on there.

I hate these "consolidated parts" they are always a compromise.

In looking them up even for my Xterra, it seems like they're just not putting the sensor in there. I guess they have enough confidence in their parts that they won't overheat and fail, LOL. The GPD one on RA is for a diesel so that makes sense that it would be incorrect. 

Edited by adamzan

9 hours ago, adamzan said:

Good luck. Is this still from rock auto? The original one on mine is pissing from the front shaft seal (just oil for now, still holding charge). But replacing the condenser and entire front of the truck, so may as well swap a new compressor on there.

I hate these "consolidated parts" they are always a compromise.

It isn't from Rockauto. i am not sure how to get a real person on RockAuto to physically look at the parts. This one I am expecting to arrive today, tomorrow at the lastest, is from BuyAutoParts.com 

Hopefully, your a/c holds through the summer at least. Hope, hope, hope! 

I am having a similar issues with starters. Not exact. They are the right part, but DOA, or will work less than a handful of times and tap out. The one I rebuilt myself, nissan motor, aftermarket solenoid, works no problem! This has been an exhausting year of aftermarket parts & it's only June. 

I checked the FSM for a 1995 and I only see 1 wire/plug for the + trigger and it's grounded through the case. Are you sure there are 2 plugs on the car ?

There is only one to plug into my Pathy but there are two on the a/c unit. Just like my original post. I am not crazy, it is exactly what has always been there since I've bought this Pathy in 1999. 

5 hours ago, level9 said:

I checked the FSM for a 1995 and I only see 1 wire/plug for the + trigger and it's grounded through the case. Are you sure there are 2 plugs on the car ?

https://www.discountacparts.com/buynow/60-01276_NC this is what mine looks like, except it's got bearing issues and it's about 10yrs old

I did some digging around and I think I understand the issue. The extra wire/plug is for the internal compressor thermistor which on the 2 plug version is serviceable (can be replaced separately). This is how the original OEM design was - I checked all years. Newer compressors typically have the thermistor built in and it is not serviceable; hence you won't see the extra plug. So as long as you can get a version with a compatible plug, it should work fine. If you can't find one with a compatible plug and you don't want to deal with electrical, just do all of the other related work and have a friend or mechanic splice on some new automotive grade connectors to the car+compressor - it shouldn't cost much.

I appreciate the time and effort you put into trying to resolve my issue. 

So the new one has a large plug. The original has a large plug that plugs into something on the compressor, which then feeds the wire that has the plug that fits on the engine side. 

Am I understanding that I can cut off the large plug and take the old small plug from the previous compressor side and splice that to where the large plug is on the new compressor so it will be able to connect on the engine side? 

48 minutes ago, PamPoovey said:

The original has a large plug that plugs into something on the compressor, which then feeds the wire that has the plug that fits on the engine side. 

Yup. The 'something on the compressor' is the thermistor (screwed into the back/side) which turns off the compressor to prevent overheating.  It looks like a single plug aftermarket version will simply have this built-in so you won't see it. Some digging around indicated manufacturers started moving in this direction (built-in thermistor) some years ago - likely due to lower cost and increased reliability of the thermistor so it didn't need to be easily replaceable. I'll wager a guess if you order a new compressor for an older car at this point it's probably a toss-up which one you'll get (internal vs. external thermistor) which is probably leading to the confusion. I originally thought this was an extra ground wire since there is already a high/low pressure switch cut-off located at the receiver/dryer (which, btw, you are "supposed to" also replace whenever you replace a compressor) but apparently there is a local temperature switch as well (internal or external) - you learn something new every day !

Am I understanding that I can cut off the large plug and take the old small plug from the previous compressor side and splice that to where the large plug is on the new compressor so it will be able to connect on the engine side? 

Yeah - what I would do (since I don't like altering the car/engine side wiring unless absolutely necessary) is cut off the plug on the old compressor that connects to the engine wiring harness (leaving at least several inches of lead wire of course). Then cut off the new compressor plug and then just butt-splice the old connector onto the new one. Make sure you get a really good crimp on it - there are a lot of amps moving through this connector and you don't want a poor connection.

Of course this will likely void the warranty. So before I did that I would test fit the compressor and hose connections to verify fitment. I would also bench-test the compressor to confirm it works (search youtube).  Isn't DIY fun? 😀

I also poked around to see why your connectors don't match up. It looks like Nissan changed the connector type at some point. My '90 Pathfinder has the white/clear (well - yellow at this age) large blocky connector which is also likely creating confusion in the aftermarket parts market.

Edited by level9
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for all.yhendetailed info!!!

Why on earth didn't they just put a matching plug on the compressor side as what would easily connect  to the engine side? If they did that to begin with, I would had just assumed a design change. The plugs not meshing is why I lack confidence.

BTW, the dryer and condenser are new and no issues with them. It:s the compressor I keep hitting a road block with😢

Edited by PamPoovey

Why on earth didn't they just put a matching plug on the compressor side as what would easily connect  to the engine side? If they did that to begin with, I would had just assumed a design change. The plugs not meshing is why I lack confidence.

Yeah, the aftermarket parts market is kind of a double-edge sword. On the one hand, they try and maximize compatibility across makes/models in order to maximize market size. This allows us to still buy parts for older cars which we wouldn't be able to do otherwise as the market would be too small and they just wouldn't make them. On the other hand - 'some modification/assembly may be required'. 😀

I was just dealing with this replacing the high pressure power steering line. I took pics, etc. beforehand, yet I simply couldn't get the new hose to fit (rubber portion too long). Made no sense. Everything else looked correct. One oddity about the new hose was it had a plastic protector wrapped around the rubber hose portion which is definitely not OEM nor nothing like anything I've seen on any google images/videos for a Pathfinder. After screwing around with it for a while I realized - install the metal portions of the hose onto the frame/clamps as normal - which causes the rubber portion of the hose to bow out (not normal) and consequently rest on the frame of the car (not good) - hence the plastic hose protector. There were no instructions... 🙃

7 hours ago, level9 said:

Yeah, the aftermarket parts market is kind of a double-edge sword. On the one hand, they try and maximize compatibility across makes/models in order to maximize market size. This allows us to still buy parts for older cars which we wouldn't be able to do otherwise as the market would be too small and they just wouldn't make them. On the other hand - 'some modification/assembly may be required'. 😀

I was just dealing with this replacing the high pressure power steering line. I took pics, etc. beforehand, yet I simply couldn't get the new hose to fit (rubber portion too long). Made no sense. Everything else looked correct. One oddity about the new hose was it had a plastic protector wrapped around the rubber hose portion which is definitely not OEM nor nothing like anything I've seen on any google images/videos for a Pathfinder. After screwing around with it for a while I realized - install the metal portions of the hose onto the frame/clamps as normal - which causes the rubber portion of the hose to bow out (not normal) and consequently rest on the frame of the car (not good) - hence the plastic hose protector. There were no instructions... 🙃

Wow! That hose sounded like a massive headache!!

If these oddities keep happening, I am either going to sink or swim as a person who just plays mechanic. 😢

I truly appreciate your insight and time you put into opening my eyes and your step by step instructions to help me escape this road block! 

If you can work out what kind of plug it is, you may be able to find a pigtail for it, and make up a patch harness to avoid modifying either the truck harness or the compressor. Sometimes the pins in the plug will accept a standard size of spade terminal, but of course you want to make sure it's a tight fit that won't overheat or rattle loose.

The connector on my Xterra (first gen) is one wire. I wonder if that connector is the same as these new aftermarket compressors? I can take a pic later to verify. The compressor style is the same as the wd21.

1 hour ago, adamzan said:

The connector on my Xterra (first gen) is one wire. I wonder if that connector is the same as these new aftermarket compressors? I can take a pic later to verify. The compressor style is the same as the wd21.

Interesting! I wonder as well. 

I had one place, PartsHawk, claim they can get their warehouse to get me a picture. I am waiting for that picture. 🤞 I also hoping Four Seasons will get back to me. 

I wonder if I should just spend the $600+ on the Nissan compressor (if they truly have it in stock). This economy is absolute rubbish!

I'm seriously considering rebuilding mine. I found a shaft seal kit, and I'm sure the bearings can be sourced by my local bearing house. https://donbrownbusparts.com/products/compressor-shaft-seal-kit-dkv14c-d-mt2060

Found a spare compressor in a box of old parts at my grandmother's house.

Too wiped to go back out now, I'll snap a pic of the Xterra compressor plug tomorrow.

Edited by adamzan