4WD NOT WORKING

Okay, so, got stuck in a mud pit and found out my 4wd does not work. Put my pathy on a lift, to find out my driveshaft spins, yet my CV axles do not. anybody able to save me some time? 

anybody with the 5spd manual experience a smoking through shift boot/smelly burning trans when going freeway/highway speeds for extended periods of time?

I should really stop buying vehicles that "used to have" 4wd.

If your driveshaft spins and the CVs don't, then something's wrong with your ring and/or pinion.  Maybe sheared the teeth off the pinion.  Might be able to open the fill plug hole and peek through.  Otherwise drop the diff and replace with one from a D21 or WD21.

Also, no need to start a new thread about the same issue.  Your original thread in General was fine.

On 5/20/2024 at 11:43 AM, POONFINDER said:

Okay, so, got stuck in a mud pit and found out my 4wd does not work. Put my pathy on a lift, to find out my driveshaft spins, yet my CV axles do not. anybody able to save me some time? 

anybody with the 5spd manual experience a smoking through shift boot/smelly burning trans when going freeway/highway speeds for extended periods of time?

I should really stop buying vehicles that "used to have" 4wd.

When it comes to the burning smell of trans or clutch material, if your WD21 is still on it's original clutch it might be a sign that it's starting to fail. My 2001 R50 4X4 5-Speed did the same thing shortly before my original OEM clutch gave up the ghost.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2024 at 9:17 AM, hawairish said:

If your driveshaft spins and the CVs don't, then something's wrong with your ring and/or pinion.  Maybe sheared the teeth off the pinion.  Might be able to open the fill plug hole and peek through.  Otherwise drop the diff and replace with one from a D21 or WD21.

Also, no need to start a new thread about the same issue.  Your original thread in General was fine.

I was having issues with one of the 2 threads idk which is which anymore tbh

also yeah ima have to check the pinion/ ring teeth. as for diff, im probably just gonna go with the WD21 diff just because I wanna keep my car mostly wd21. plus i wont have fitment issues. just a R&R 

On 5/21/2024 at 3:52 PM, CamperDan said:

When it comes to the burning smell of trans or clutch material, if your WD21 is still on it's original clutch it might be a sign that it's starting to fail. My 2001 R50 4X4 5-Speed did the same thing shortly before my original OEM clutch gave up the ghost.

Chris.

where you able to feel any damage when you press the clutch? 

ive heard burning clutch smells rubbery, this is almost a sweet musty smell. not sweet like coolant, but sweet like kinda just a sour smell. not gonna lie describing such smell is difficult. by sweet i dont mean sugary or sour smell i just mean lightly sweet with the smell of heat lol. yeah ive been typing this for 15 minutes trying to describe the smell. 

im working on getting to the bottom of this before i make a 2 day drive from wyoming to wa in 2 weeks so Im gonna be pretty feckin active on here lol

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, POONFINDER said:

I was having issues with one of the 2 threads idk which is which anymore tbh

also yeah ima have to check the pinion/ ring teeth. as for diff, im probably just gonna go with the WD21 diff just because I wanna keep my car mostly wd21. plus i wont have fitment issues. just a R&R 

Most parts from the D21 and WD21 are actually the same part number i've found so youre really not mismatchhing much. If you lift the front and spin 1 wheel, the other should spin freely. If you block 1 wheel and spin the other, the drive shaft should spin freely. If there is any misses, clicks, or no rotation at all from these parts its most likely the diff. But make sure the wheels are actually spinning with the CVs 

Edited by Strato_54

2 minutes ago, Strato_54 said:

Most parts from the D21 and WD21 are actually the same part number i've found so youre really not mismatchhing much. If you lift the front and spin 1 wheel, the other should spin freely. If you block 1 wheel and spin the other, the drive shaft should spin freely. If there is any misses, clicks, or no rotation at all from these parts its most likely the diff. But make sure the wheels are actually spinning with the CVs 

I just assumed they where. ive used d21 labeled stuff for my pathy. 

I put my car on the lift, engaged 4wd and found out that my front driveshaft spins, but my CVs do not. 

gonna say its something inside the diff, dont really care to see whats broke ill probably just replace it. 

planning on chevy 4.3 v6 drivetrain swap so I might be pulling it all out anyway. 

Wow. Yeah, that's not right. I'd be interested to see pictures of the insides to see what let go.

Make sure your diff donor has a V6 (four-pots got a smaller front diff) and the same number on the data plate by the wiper motor. HG46 is 4.6 gears, HG43 is 4.3 gears.

I've worked on a couple of GM 4.3s. Shakes like hell because it's a 90* V6, weird fuel injection. That said, they do have some decent torque. Someone on here had a 4.3-swapped WD21 around when I joined up, though naturally I don't remember their username. I think there was a solid axle swap involved.

thanks for the info, didnt know they where different but that makes sense. Ill be sure to check ill be sure to come back to this thread and attach a picture if i get around to ever fixing it lol