Metal Valve Covers

I have a 2003 QX4 with plastic valve covers that are leaking and require a gasket replacement. I was thinking that i replace the plastic valve covers with metal ones while doing the gasket job. My question is, can the metal ones be found with some effort, or should i not bother? A quick google and forums search wasn't very helpful.

Also, did 2000-2001 QX4s come with the metal covers, or did the Pathfinders have them, too?  

The other question i had in mind, should i just go ahead and the use the existing plastic ones? I have no evidence or reason to believe right now anything is wrong other than the valve cover gasket.

Usually the only reason to replace the valve covers are if the spark plug seals are leaking.  They are not are not intended to be serviced, and as such they are not replaceable unless you want to do surgery on them.  They were replaceable on the aluminum covers.

Other notable is that the #1 ignition coil on the aluminum covers is different from the other five, and none of them are the same as the 02+ trucks with the plastic covers.  On the plastic covers, all the coils are the same.  I can confirm you can use an older style coil on a plastic covers, but it there's a small gap between the coil and the cover where the mounting screw goes.  Stands to reason that if you tried using your coils on the aluminum cover, you'd have to turn them a little to ensure they were fully seated, and wouldn't be able to use the mounting screws.

Long story short: keep the plastic covers and just change the valve cover gaskets.  Don't forget to seal the front corners as prescribed in the FSM.

Thank you for the response, hawairish. The vehicle has 195,000 kms (102,000 miles) and is in pretty good shape. I only thought of the valve covers, because i thought while i am in there, i better take care of that, too, so i am not coming back because of leaking spark plug tube seals.

I would go with factory plastic valve covers, you'll likely spend an equivalent amount trying to source the aluminum ones.  The originals lasted a good amount of miles in my case and in your case 21 years.  The problem with the spark plug tube seals is the act of removing the old valve covers to change the gasket usually does them in even if they weren't leaking before.  Like @hawairish said, the spark plug seals are not serviceable unlike the aluminum covers.

• 2 weeks later...

Can metal ones be found? Yes. Junkyard 2001 R50s have aluminum valve covers. You'd want to replace the spark plug tube seals and you'll need to change your #1 coil for a 2001 R50 #1 coil. It's longer than the other 5. Also, I suspect that G35/350Z valve covers should fit the heads and somebody could get creative with the rubber hose and wire harness locations. 350z/G35 variant of the vq35de use the same part number for the contoured valve cover gaskets. 

Below is a comparison between G35/350z aluminum valve covers (red) and aftermarket pathfinder valve covers (black)embed?resid=8A40F5A29BD0C4!95165&authkeyembed?resid=8A40F5A29BD0C4!95169&authkeyembed?resid=8A40F5A29BD0C4!95170&authkeyembed?resid=8A40F5A29BD0C4!95161&authkeyembed?resid=8A40F5A29BD0C4!95171&authkey

4 hours ago, Dbot said:

350z/G35 variant of the vq35de use the same part number for the contoured valve cover gaskets. 

Yep! Valve cover gaskets between a bunch of VQ35 and VQ40 vehicles are the same so that's a pretty good sign they'd all fit.  The covers do look like they'd fit, but only takes 1 or 2 dumb Nissan changes to throw things off.  That rear-pointing tube on the driver's cover would be a problem.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:34 PM, cham said:

I would go with factory plastic valve covers, you'll likely spend an equivalent amount trying to source the aluminum ones.  The originals lasted a good amount of miles in my case and in your case 21 years.  The problem with the spark plug tube seals is the act of removing the old valve covers to change the gasket usually does them in even if they weren't leaking before.  Like @hawairish said, the spark plug seals are not serviceable unlike the aluminum covers.

The QX4 is parked for now, as it's a second vehicle. Since you say that the seals may start leaking once valve covers are removed, i am have no choice but to get new covers. I just do not want to take a risk and then be forced to do the job again. My string preference is for metal valve covers, but if i cannot find them, i will go with OEM plastic ones.

Just bought an after-market plastic valve cover for a friend's 2002 Sentra, and it doesn't fit. The spark plug tube seals aren't wide enough, and an OEM cover is needed now, which are very hard to find and pricey.  

Dbot, thank you for the photos and the information. During my research, i came across some G35 owners using R50 metal valve covers to replace their plastic ones. Some modifications had to be performed, however. 

Was 2001 the only year that came with metal valve covers?

On 1/21/2024 at 7:00 PM, sentra368 said:

I have a 2003 QX4 with plastic valve covers that are leaking and require a gasket replacement. I was thinking that i replace the plastic valve covers with metal ones while doing the gasket job. My question is, can the metal ones be found with some effort, or should i not bother? A quick google and forums search wasn't very helpful.

Also, did 2000-2001 QX4s come with the metal covers, or did the Pathfinders have them, too?  

My viewers on YouTube are always asking me where I got my metal valve covers from, lol I didn't even know they were a thing. I have a lead on a set from a 2001 SE R50 Pathfinder at my local junkyard if you are still in the market for some!

Chris.

Edited by CamperDan

16 hours ago, sentra368 said:

The QX4 is parked for now, as it's a second vehicle. Since you say that the seals may start leaking once valve covers are removed, i am have no choice but to get new covers. I just do not want to take a risk and then be forced to do the job again. My string preference is for metal valve covers, but if i cannot find them, i will go with OEM plastic ones.

Just bought an after-market plastic valve cover for a friend's 2002 Sentra, and it doesn't fit. The spark plug tube seals aren't wide enough, and an OEM cover is needed now, which are very hard to find and pricey.  

I’d stay away from aftermarket valve covers, never heard any good things about them and I believe NissanPartsDeal has a discount right now on most parts.  

I’d be interested in the aluminum valve covers as long as everything works and bolts back up like factory.  Can’t say I’d be super stoked about a gap like Hawairish says  between the ignition coil seal and spark plug tube if using the 2002 coils with the 2001 valve cover.  Obviously replacing that #1 coil with the 2001 coil seems easy enough.

On 2/8/2024 at 10:54 AM, CamperDan said:

My viewers on YouTube are always asking me where I got my metal valve covers from, lol I didn't even know they were a thing. I have a lead on a set from a 2001 SE R50 Pathfinder at my local junkyard if you are still in the market for some!

Chris.

CamperDan, thank you for the offer, but a few hours after my last post, i got a lead on a set. if it doesn't pan out, i will get in touch with you. 

On 1/21/2024 at 11:08 PM, hawairish said:

Usually the only reason to replace the valve covers are if the spark plug seals are leaking.  They are not are not intended to be serviced, and as such they are not replaceable unless you want to do surgery on them.  They were replaceable on the aluminum covers.

Other notable is that the #1 ignition coil on the aluminum covers is different from the other five, and none of them are the same as the 02+ trucks with the plastic covers.  On the plastic covers, all the coils are the same.  I can confirm you can use an older style coil on a plastic covers, but it there's a small gap between the coil and the cover where the mounting screw goes.  Stands to reason that if you tried using your coils on the aluminum cover, you'd have to turn them a little to ensure they were fully seated, and wouldn't be able to use the mounting screws.

Long story short: keep the plastic covers and just change the valve cover gaskets.  Don't forget to seal the front corners as prescribed in the FSM.

Let's say, against your advise (because i am being stupid), i got the metal valve covers. Would the below help me get the job done:

(1) Get the 2001 ignition coil for the #1 cylinder; and

(2) Either one of (a), (b), or (c):

(a) Buy ignition coil boots for #2-#6 cylinders for the 2001 and install them on my 2003 ignition coils. Maybe that's not physically possible?

(b) Shave off some material from the tips of the ignition coil boots for the #2-#6 cylinders on my 2003, so that they seat properly. I could use one #2-#6 cylinder ignition coil boot from a 2001 as a reference for length.

(Both (a) and (b) do not solve not being able to use the mounting screws issue, though, correct? Would longer or shorter screws work?)

(c) Buy 2001 ignition coils for the #2-#6 cylinders. Would i still not be able to use the mounting screws?

I feel like taking this job on and document it, so others can benefit. 

Edited by sentra368

For sure you'd need an older #1 coil.  For the other coils:

• 2a: It's possible to swap the boots older-->newer, but you also need the spring
  • 2b: You'd need to lengthen the boots, which would prevent spark plug contact, so this is a no-go.
  • 2c: Since the older coils were intended for the older covers (aluminum), this is the most correct route.  That's what the guy did in that Nico post (man...I barely had the truck 2 years when I was chiming in on that...how things have changed).

That said, I did some R&D for you...

Newer coil on left, older on right.  When aligned by the mounting tabs, the older is about 1/2" longer.

IMG-6078.jpg

When aligned by boot length, they are the same length.  The older coil's mounting tab sits above the plastic valve covers mounting hole by 1/2".  As mentioned earlier, you can probably still fit the newer style in cylinders 2-6, but the coil has to be turned enough to avoid the mounting boss on the aluminum covers.  You could possibly use a screw and washer in the boss to retain the coil to some degree.

IMG-6079.jpg

Taken apart, you can see all the parts are different.  Although the spring in the older unit is quite longer, it sits deeper in the hole in the module.  All the tube parts are shaped differently enough that fitment isn't great if you were to swap things around, but it's somewhat possible.

IMG-6082.jpg

With springs in and aligned by mounting tab, the older coil is still 1/2" longer.

IMG-6077.jpg

If you put the older style boot and older spring onto the newer style module, the boot fits nicely and everything else seems to be the correct length and position.  Not that it matters here, but the newer boot will not fit the older module unless the top of the boot is cut off.

IMG-6080.jpg

Now, since the springs are different, I have no idea what impact it has switching it.  I also don't know if you can get the boots and springs.  I'd say that if you're at a junk yard and pulling them, you may as well just buy the complete coils. 

Although my personal opinion is that the additional cost to do this project doesn't really have much ROI, unless it's just cheaper than buying new plastic covers.  Hope this helps.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

hawairish, thank you very much for your R&D and the detailed response. It is really helpful.

I live in a small town, with nearest not-so-well stocked auto parts store, in another small town 50 km away. A larger city is 115 km away, so being able to pop into the store to buy a part is inconvenient. That's the reason for being risk averse and planning everything, so i do not run into any issues that cause long delays. I am in the process of  gathering up a parts list, which i will post into another thread, so others in my position, or generally, can benefit.     

Getting some of the molded hoses is going to be challenging. They will have to come from US, and with shipping charges being what they are nowadays, i know this job is going to get a bit pricey, as there will be multiple shipments from different locations. You guys are pretty lucky. 

2 hours ago, sentra368 said:

hawairish, thank you very much for your R&D and the detailed response. It is really helpful.

I live in a small town, with nearest not-so-well stocked auto parts store, in another small town 50 km away. A larger city is 115 km away, so being able to pop into the store to buy a part is inconvenient. That's the reason for being risk averse and planning everything, so i do not run into any issues that cause long delays. I am in the process of  gathering up a parts list, which i will post into another thread, so others in my position, or generally, can benefit.     

Getting some of the molded hoses is going to be challenging. They will have to come from US, and with shipping charges being what they are nowadays, i know this job is going to get a bit pricey, as there will be multiple shipments from different locations. You guys are pretty lucky. 

No problem.  I just happened to have the older coil packs laying around, though I thought I spare newer pack.  Fortunately my engine is currently torn down a little for my SAS project to pull one somewhat easily.

I hear you on wanting to research things.  I'm lucky to have several parts yards around me, as well as RockAuto, since I practically never buy locally.  If I can help your project by hitting up my local yards and shipping to you, let me know.  A quick search of Row52.com shows 4x 00-01 Pathfinders and 3x 00-01 QX4s in within a reasonable drive for me (the QX4s also had aluminum covers...my older coils came from one).  Three of those trucks are at the yard closest to me, and I suspect 2 of them will have aluminum covers.  Shipping to CAN from here is notoriously slow and overpriced for large items, but if things can fit into smaller flat-rate boxes or padded envelopes (USPS or UPS) the price isn't too bad.  Let me know.

On 2/11/2024 at 1:14 PM, hawairish said:

No problem.  I just happened to have the older coil packs laying around, though I thought I spare newer pack.  Fortunately my engine is currently torn down a little for my SAS project to pull one somewhat easily.

I hear you on wanting to research things.  I'm lucky to have several parts yards around me, as well as RockAuto, since I practically never buy locally.  If I can help your project by hitting up my local yards and shipping to you, let me know.  A quick search of Row52.com shows 4x 00-01 Pathfinders and 3x 00-01 QX4s in within a reasonable drive for me (the QX4s also had aluminum covers...my older coils came from one).  Three of those trucks are at the yard closest to me, and I suspect 2 of them will have aluminum covers.  Shipping to CAN from here is notoriously slow and overpriced for large items, but if things can fit into smaller flat-rate boxes or padded envelopes (USPS or UPS) the price isn't too bad.  Let me know.

Thank you once again for your kind and generous offer, but i think i have the metal valve covers sourced. I just have to find time to go get them. Yes, shipping to Canada is a bit of an issue, but on a positive note, i am about 90 minutes from the Montana border. I can have the items shipped to a town close to the border, drive across, and pick them up. Ever since the Covid border closures and the restrictions, i had avoided crossing, as it had become just too inconvenient.  

Work is a little busy right now, and that's why i haven't been able to spend the required time on the project, but i almost have the list ready. Scouring many threads, in which helpful guys like you have contributed, has helped.     

11 hours ago, sentra368 said:

i am about 90 minutes from the Montana border. I can have the items shipped to a town close to the border, drive across, and pick them up. Ever since the Covid border closures and the restrictions, i had avoided crossing, as it had become just too inconvenient.

Yep, I'm familiar with this service (Montana Shipping Outlet).  Used it once to ship a SFD kit to a guy in 2020 during COVID in fact.  I don't think he was able to pick things up until 2023 unfortunately between closures, restrictions, and life events.

But anyway, if you still need odds and ends, let me know.