Tension rod nut

Frenchy

So instead of going to the dealer and paying shipping I'd rather just go to the hardware and get a new nut for the engine rod. My question is does anyone here know right off what the red size is for that nut?

I would go to the local salvage yard for hardware like that. The stuff you get from a hardware store is likely to have different dimensions that may be less than desirable.

Also, I think it might be a hard NO to find something that big at the local hardware store. Not being a pessimist, just real 🙃

You may be right if the hardware store doesn't have it. At the same time I have had a hardware store surprise me. Also I have seen them carry things and much bigger thread pitch. That is why I'm trying to find out

You could check it with a thread pitch gauge, measure the diameter, and see if you can find a nut of matching dimensions from McMaster-Carr or similar. Where I live, no way in hell I'd find a nut that size at Ace. If you have a larger hardware store with more than one short aisle of fasteners, you may get lucky. 

IIRC it is a fine thread pitch, like 1.5 or 1.75 and no one around here had one at the time (it is also a nylock nut). I ended up getting it at Nissan but I didn't have to pay shipping, just picked it up from the dealer.

• 3 weeks later...

So i found out it is a M16x1.5. Found it on a different Forum for what its worth. If you are lucky you can get it at a local hardware store vs the dealer for the same style nut.

The bigger hardware stores like fastenal and brafasco tend to carry that kind of stuff.

Where did you find it? Would be good to link here!

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1

Yes, we have Tacoma Screw here, which is where I went to find replacement hardware for the engine when I screwed up the cam bolts (Dimensionally correct, head original size was 14mm with a flare at the bottom, replacement was 16-17mm, no flare on the bottom).  They Might have something like this, But I will revert to my previous answer, If you want to find something matching the original dimensions, shoulder/locking properties, you're better off going to the salvage yard. The washer behind that nut, is flared especially different, and you won't likely find that anywhere else aside from the Dealer or a salvage yard.

The washers for the tension rod come with new bushings, so your statement wont apply there. Also hardware from the scrap yard will most likely ve worn out enough where it wont lock in place.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:46 PM, Frenchy said:

The washers for the tension rod come with new bushings, so your statement wont apply there. Also hardware from the scrap yard will most likely ve worn out enough where it wont lock in place.

Last time I bought the bushings, they didn't come with new washers. May have been a difference in manufacturer? I don't know. Also lost a nut and a washer (Maybe I didn't torque it enough? I don't know). Had to do this exact re-inventing of the wheel in order to get it reassembled. A washer that's nearly 3 inches in diameter and 3/16" thick worn out? Typically not, unless you have some other kind of problem, like salt on the road and a corrosive environment. 

• 2 weeks later...