hard choice

sniper15

i just got my path finder and im fine with my 31x10.5 tires for now but i wanna get the truck up a little bit. i dont know wht to do. should i get a suspension kit or a body kit. im not looking to spend a lot of money and i dont know where to find any parts can anyone help?

Edited by sniper15

do a search, I asked all of these questions plus others you'll think of in the futeure, just go to the search button up top, the JGC's on a 4 door with spare tire carrier should get about 3 inches, then u get the front up 3 inches with your torsion bars, hope this helps, I got my jgc's for $40 at a junkyard, thats really all you need (maybe some new UCA's)

Guest toolfool

Ok, I'm thinking about a little lift for my '92. You guys are talking about angle grinders, spring clamps, JGC's.... Are we talking about different methods of getting the desired lift? I'm not quite up on these terms. If there are different methods which is the best way? Are there any advantages, disadvantages? :shrug:

Edited by toolfool

I bought this angle grinder

and these spring compressors to do the work. I forgot to buy cutting discs but picked one up for <$2.00. I haven't done it yet, but I have been assured by my friends who have done it that it is very easy. They are going to help me this weekend.

I had little trouble finding a V8 (J)eep (G)rand ©herokee. If you can't see a V8 badge, look for the gold trim.

Don't feel bad about not understanding "JGC". I though it was a brand-name for the longest time.

I just bought Rancho RS 5000's for my truck. The "regular" shock is for 0-2.5" of lift.

For getting the springs out of the JGC, I did not have the clamps. a pry bar like the bottom one in this setwas a big help. A long straight pry bar also helps. You'll use it like a long drift pin.

I was very luck b/c the JGC I found was on top of another Jeep. All the parts were at chest-level anf one of the wheels was already off. The suspension was also unweighted.

Edited by Repack

My 3" s/l install

I installed most of that kit myself. It costs twice as much as a body lift , and be prepared to spend additional cash on other parts during the installation process, but that pretty much goes for anything.

Just to argue, I have GJC springs in the rear with a stock front end.... The T-bars are cranked so I'm within 1" (no closer than 1/2") to the UCA bump stops; the truck sits level. I have not put enough miles on to talk about front end longjevity, but from what I have read, it wont make much of a difference... This is a cheap lift, and if you are slightly nose heavy, thats stance is favored by many...

B

besides dooing all that for now i think i just wanna get a body lift does anyone have any sugestions and for as little money as posible? after the body lift i wanna get jgc coils and do that but im just learning about my pathy for now

I would do JGC first. Its so much easier. Besides, a body lift won't get your frame rails any higher. You'll still have the same clearence issues.

It took me less than an hour to "harvest" the springs. The whole job should take me less than 3 hours and cost less than $150, including springs, tools, and a new realignment. In the process, I picked up a set of RS 5000s for $172 w/ shipping. So ~$300 for 2.5" and an almost totally new suspension.

As far as learning goes, I would consider myself a vehicle novice, but otherwise a mechanically talented person. Everything I have tried on my Pathy has been very straight-forward. Read the linked thread carefully and you'll be fine. Having talked to others who have done it, its even easier than it seems.

Edited by Repack

ok i will do that but does the link telling me how to do it tell me everything i need to buy. o and is it all safe i mean this has to be a street car as well. and what all that about new uca's?

Edited by sniper15

Let me just clear up a couple of things that are still stumping some new guys.

JGC= Jeep Grand Cherokee Here is the "how to" thread for this lift... Here are the JGC coils that lift the JGC for about $170

Here's the stock JGC coils that will give about 3" of lift.

UCA= Upper Control Arms

You CAN do this lift with nuthin but an ajustable wrench, and a jack. And maybe a little elbow grease... I borrowed the spring compressors from autozone and ended up not using them because they were just getting in the way. If you buy the $170 JGC lift springs you'll most likely have to use a spring compressor. Don't buy a SC. You can "borrow them for free from AutoZone or other parts stores. They just make you throw down a deposit. You do not have to jack up the front to crank the torsion bars up... It'll be a little harder to turn the nut, but it's no big deal.

The body lift is probly a lot harder... I haven't done one, but I've hear how it can be a pain in the a$$.

Edited by TrailChaser

ok i will do that but does the link telling me how to do it tell me everything i need to buy. o and is it all safe i mean this has to be a street car as well. and what all that about new uca's?

It's safe. If you crank up the torsion bars too close to the bumpstops it'll be a ruffer ride on bumpy roads because your front wheels will hit the bumpstops instead of dropping like they're suppose to. Just give'em about a 1/2 inch and you should be fine.

tools and installing will not be a problem i will be a certified mechanic in 1 year and my step dad is a mechanic. alls i need to know now is if the directions tell me everything i need to buy like if i need to buy new socks or ucas and stuff like that. the 1 thing i will need to know is what to do wit the torsion bars and how to keep them even

Edited by sniper15

HEY SNIPER, UCA AND JGC BEEN ANSWERED, anyway, what I did was to first see how much front lift you can get before doing anything, and check how close your bumpstops get, if u need more lift in the front you might have to reindex the torsion bars, not aproblem. You GOTTA get 93-97 JGC V8 front springs, anything else is, well I dont know but thats what u HAVE to get for the rear lift u want. Also those grinder things or whatever, I used a Dewalt reciprocating saw, hell u can use a hack saw if u got the time and patience, just something to cut the smaller diameter ring off the top, it doesnt have to be a grinder (I think thats what everyone else said), and the spring compressor things, dont need them either, although it will proabably make it alot easier ( depends on how good your jacks are. Good Luck

plus just search this site and youll find how to crank the t bars and how to reindex em if u need to

Edited by headpeace

Ok, I'm thinking about a little lift for my '92. You guys are talking about angle grinders, spring clamps, JGC's.... Are we talking about different methods of getting the desired lift? I'm not quite up on these terms. If there are different methods which is the best way? Are there any advantages, disadvantages? :shrug:

OK. get 2 JGC FRONT coils (93-97..I got 95).. new or used, then get some Rancho 5000 or 9000 series shocks (I went with 5000 p/n5116) and get a spring compressor.. makes life easier. It took me 1 hour to do the JGC install.. hardly any fuss (PS comes out easier than DS) remember to unbolt your brake line for this task.... I used the stock rubbers for the top of the coils when I put the JGC's in..but you can also make your own rubbers.... There are a LOT of write ups about this job...take a look at 88's write up and pics, it will show you how much to cut off the pigtail of the JGC coil

I got almost 4" of lift from mine.