Sliders and NEW Bumper of to the powder coaters

snosnk

Just a teaser photo of my new bumper.... :P

3x4%20view%20drivers%20rear.JPG

Finished Sunday, off to the powder coaters today for a fresh coat of white. -bounce-

Edited by snosnk

Wow, nice work, man! I like how you integrated a receiver hitch into the bumper design. It looks like you gained an extra 5 degrees of departure angle!

Does the spare tire carrier still latch onto the original factory location or did you have to fab up a new latch for it?

Also, do you have any gusseting or reinforcements for the "wings" that wrap around the rear corners? If you hit one of those on a rock and it deflects, it will surely munch the bodywork.

I've been wanting to replace my rear bumper with something very much like what you've designed, except for me it would have to include a provision for a spare tire carrier, since my truck lacks the OEM carrier.

This bumper is totaly custom. The original hitch was removed as it was hanging way to low. We did use some of the mounting bracket that was part of the original hitch, but just where it bolted to the frame. The tire carrier does use the factory latch, but the tire wont clear the ball on the reciver hitch. Will be raising the spare tire this weekend to make up the difference and to increase the departure angle. The corners are gusseted to the mount for extra support. The hitch is also gusseted behind using 1 inch solid round to the mounts. I will take some better pictures once it comes back from the powder coaters. This is all beyond me so I had Steve Egan at CBI Offroad Fabrication create this one off bumper just for my Pathfinder. I'm sure he could repeat it and would be willing to let him use my Pathy for fit if any of you are interested in a new bumper.

XPLORx4: Check out CBI Offroad Fab. Steve does some fine work and could integrate a tire carrier into this bumper. He uses some pretty cool bearing hinges on his tire carriers. I think he said something about tapered roller bearings. Might not quote me on that as I'm not really sure.

Do you have the original bumper ends? The wifes 97 has a few dents in the bumper corners and i need new ones and would like to stay factory. Let me know if you interested in getting rid of them. my email is nakatsujason@yahoo.com thanks

snosnk- Ahh, I thought you did the work yourself! How much did CBI charge you to fab the bumper? I may try to find a shop locally that can do something similar (if the price is right!)

So... does Steve at Off Road fab have a template to duplicate that bumper? At some point in the next few years there will be a growing demand for R50 bumpers. A small demand, certainly - but whoever puts one on the market first will probably find a few buyers. Can he make one without you actually having to offer your truck for measurements again?

XPLORx4: I wish I had the tools and know how to build something like this. But, alas, I dont. So I'll just keep goin to Steve. I dont know exactly what it cost as most of it was trade work. I'll check with him to see what he would charge for such a thing.

Herm: Not yet, but once he sees some demand I'm sure he will make one. He has jigs for Tacoma bumpers and sliders and I think sheeps as well. When it gets to that point he can have my Pathy for as long as he needs to create the templates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The other pieces behind my bumper and sliders are sliders for a full size GMC. See the rest of it here

Heres some more pics of the bumper installed. A bit muddy tho. :P

DCAM5913.JPG

DCAM5914.JPG

DCAM5926.JPG