Adding Back Glass switch

Mrelcocko

Get actuator with the rod from a junk yard or order one offline. 2 bolts hold it in place. You'll need to run a ground wire along with Power wire from actuator to your switch and a 12v power constant from fuse block to your switch. Push switch and 12v constant power from fuse block powers actuator thus unlocking back glass hatch. I got the actuator with the rod and the 2 terminal connector from my local junkyard. Installed actuator with a little time and patience finnaly getting the rod connected. Ran my ground from the actuator to the factory ground on back of tailgate. Ran my power wire like factory is ran. Down tailgate, down the inside of drivers side rear quarter then along the drivers side carpet beside threshold back then front to the inside of drivers kick panel up to fuse box. I used an extra oil dipstick I had laying around to fish my wires. If you get a switch like the factory its made with illumination you will need 4 wires going to switch. a positive and a negative for the light and a positive from fuse box to positive wire from the actuator. Easier than I thought it'd be. Any question feel free.8a9c543862a6e1baf0be275bbc9aa7f1.jpga9c71cd5a1f4e19ad0343ae9f0044f8f.jpg3a9398e65d3e96ca9d56c1be5ca386fe.jpgad72146558c5c6986ad48c925a188558.jpg0fcd77a57b147db129d49894fe2814c0.jpg783b6e234556f737c5077dbbbe821f86.jpgae826ca7f9f79f22231ee9dafebf039f.jpg076d50c664d5ee61d0adc2f949fd0360.jpgc99d41c7f3721a45bc823e263f8b8cd5.jpg

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just curious, and sorry if I've missed the answers already...

1. When you used the key on the rear lock, did you turn the key twice? On mine, if the doors are unlocked, the first turn locks the truck, the second turn pops the glass.

2. Did older R50s not have the switch on the driver's door or a switch on the dash? I think I remember reading this once. So you were able to pull the release solenoid and switch from another R50 that had them, and it all bolted up?

Just curious, and sorry if I've missed the answers already...

1. When you used the key on the rear lock, did you turn the key twice? On mine, if the doors are unlocked, the first turn locks the truck, the second turn pops the glass.

2. Did older R50s not have the switch on the driver's door or a switch on the dash? I think I remember reading this once. So you were able to pull the release solenoid and switch from another R50 that had them, and it all bolted up?

I've tried the key like you said and didn't work. Maybe when they changed the body style in 99 maybr that's when you could turn the key twice to pop the glass. On all 3 of my r50's (96,97,98)that doesn't work. In the factory service manuals for the 96 in the El section it doesn't say anything about a switch to pop the back glass located on dash in the cabin under security light although the fsm do sec in 97 Quey does. Since it's not in the FSM manuals for the 96 model year I'm assuming it didn't come as an option because if it did it should be in there. I got the actuator with the arm and a switch that goes in the cabin from my local junk yard. I have a Pull-A-Part that's about 30 minutes from my house. I got the connector that goes into the actuator from there also. It's a two wire connector that plugs into it. Hope this helps

Sounds like a good assumption that it wasn't a feature until later...at least the switch. But, surely it was a feature by key? I mean, without a switch, something had to open it.

Anyway, glad you found a solution!

• Like 1

Sounds like a good assumption that it wasn't a feature until later...at least the switch. But, surely it was a feature by key? I mean, without a switch, something had to open it.

Anyway, glad you found a solution!

I agree. It's an easy add on fo sure.

The QX4s had the dash remote button but the Pathfinders did not get it until 2003 (my 2002 doesnt have it). My key, however, does operate in a fashion similar to yours hawairish. I am very grateful to FerrariOwner123 who gave me a spare actuator that he had when he put it in his (not to mention the swingate he gave me). I havent wired it up yet but hope to this summer.

• Like 1