a bit of useless info that will come in handy

sw

in the absence of good hydrocarbon based driveway de-greasers' mineral turpintine works a treat, well a stack load better than all the detergent based cleaners anway.

thanks dad for letting me in on this secret

Edited by sw

so you put that stuff on the dw, and then wash it off into the drain right? thats a great place for it.

I bet you park over the storm drain when you change the oil on your car and just let the old oil go right down. out into some stream and then on into the ocean. hey the oceans just like a big toilet that flushes twice a day anyway.

mineral spirits is just a superlight oil, so of course it degreases heavier oils.

te best way to degrease a DW is with speedi dry. put it on and let it sit, sweep it around several times grind it in. with a little time and energy moving it around, it will suck old oil right out of concrete.

and if you really need to degrease something, joy soap works great, or those bottled degreasers at the auto store, those are nontoxic too, really just soap.

Edited by oilman

I have to agree with oilman.. if that stuff you're using hits a storm drain..then yes...that can be harmful to animals both land and sea. Now, I am not knocking a good idea, if it is used with common sense and extreme caution. :rolleyes:

I think you are missing the point sw; effective and convenient is good as long as it is not at the expense of the Eco system.... We have more than enough of that already, and I think you can agree. I used to like the rainbows in puddles when I was a kid, now I understand what it means. For driveway cleaner, nope, bad idea... Keeping a 5 gallon bucket (with a lid) as a home solvent tank sounds like a great idea... Drop that old nasty part in for a night, brush and rinse, and presto, degreased !! It just needs to be disposed of properly when the time comes.

Bernard

• Like 2

3M makes this stuff that soaks up only petroleum-based compunds. I used to use it when I worked at a gasoline storage/delivery facility. It looked like a cross between cotton and cloth and came in 3'x3' squares. You could throw it in a puddle of water and pull it back out dry as a bone, but if there was any oil or gas in the puddle it would soak it all up. I wish I'd had some when I installed my oil filter relo kit (what a mess-didn't seal right, all my fault, d'oh!). It sucks oil out of concrete like a Singapore hooker. Maybe try to find some of that for your next driveway spill. Cool stuff...thought I'd mention it.

3M makes this stuff that soaks up only petroleum-based compunds. I used to use it when I worked at a gasoline storage/delivery facility. It looked like a cross between cotton and cloth and came in 3'x3' squares. You could throw it in a puddle of water and pull it back out dry as a bone, but if there was any oil or gas in the puddle it would soak it all up.

yeah they are oil-sorbant pads, most auto shops should carry them. I used to work for an oil company and we had tons of em.

sometimes they are called hydrophobic pads.

I'd had some when I installed my oil filter relo kit (what a mess-didn't seal right, all my fault, d'oh!). It sucks oil out of concrete like a Singapore hooker. Maybe try to find some of that for your next driveway spill. Cool stuff...thought I'd mention it.

ROLMFAO!!!!!! :laugh: I had the same "malfunction" with my oil filter relo kit.... Singapore whore.. LMAO :clap:

• 8 years later...

You could also lay down a layer of kitty-litter before changing your oil. should absorb any drips and ease in the cleanup. Personally, I have a collection system for sawdust on some of my larger tools so I always have a bag of shavings and dust to throw down when needed. As a bonus, it's flamable so easy to get rid of.