Xterra (OEM Locking) Diff in R50?

DarekG

Hey all,

Wondering if its possible to swap an Xterra rear electronic locking differential into an R50 fairly easy? Has anyone done this or heard of anyone else doing it?

You'd have to swap the entire axle; completely custom job. The e-lockers came in 2nd gen Xterras and Frontiers...different axle than R50.

Shame.

So nothing mounts or lines up with any stock mounting points? Custom brackets and mounting all around?

Nope. All other axles were leaf-sprung. Custom perches, custom driveshaft and/or flange, custom brake lines...and probably a total mismatch on gearing since all the newer stuff came with high ratio gearing in the 3's. Lost cause.

Cheapest route is the 31-spline swap and mechanical locker swap I mentioned in another thread.

Cheapest route is the 31-spline swap and mechanical locker swap I mentioned in another thread.

I was doing some research and it looks like Eaton makes a Detroit locker for our trucks? If so I'd be inclined to go this route.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-187sl167a

They do make Detroits for 31-spline H233B models (D21 Hardbody, WD21 Pathfinders, and 99-00 D22 Frontiers).

That Summit listing is a horrible mix of bad info, including the part number. Going by the "Summit Racing Part Number: DTL-187SL167A" reference, it's for the aforementioned Nissans according to the latest catalog (pg. 12): http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf.

You could go this route, but you'd still need the Frontier 31-spline shafts (and it'd be almost as expensive as the ARB).

Are there any OEM locker diffs that are a simple swap or do they all require converting to 31 spline shafts?

R50's and their terrible locker selection. :angry:

I have the factory vLSD in the rear which catches pretty well, I guess my best logical option at this point with the least amount of work/money is putting a Lokka up front with manual hubs.

Shame!

They do make Detroits for 31-spline H233B models (D21 Hardbody, WD21 Pathfinders, and 99-00 D22 Frontiers).

That Summit listing is a horrible mix of bad info, including the part number. Going by the "Summit Racing Part Number: DTL-187SL167A" reference, it's for the aforementioned Nissans according to the latest catalog (pg. 12): http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf.

You could go this route, but you'd still need the Frontier 31-spline shafts (and it'd be almost as expensive as the ARB).

Darn, thought I got lucky there. :/ So if I get some Frontier shafts from the junkyard and that locker it would work, or would I have to follow the instructions you posted and swap a ton of stuff in my rear end around?

Are there any OEM locker diffs that are a simple swap or do they all require converting to 31 spline shafts?

R50's and their terrible locker selection. :angry:

I have the factory vLSD in the rear which catches pretty well, I guess my best logical option at this point with the least amount of work/money is putting a Lokka up front with manual hubs.

Shame!

There were no OEM lockers for Nissans pre-04, except in the Patrol. 05+ have optional OE e-lockers in the M226 axles.

Switching to 31-spline would only be to use the lunchbox lockers or this Detroit. There are air and e-locker options for the 33-spline, just not lunchbox-style lockers.

Your LSD is clutch-based, not viscous. Yes, a front Lokka, in my opinion, is the next cheapest and reasonable traction upgrade for your setup.

Darn, thought I got lucky there. :/ So if I get some Frontier shafts from the junkyard and that locker it would work, or would I have to follow the instructions you posted and swap a ton of stuff in my rear end around?

Yes...er, both. You'd need 31-spline shafts to make the Detroit, Lock-Right, Spartan, and Lokka lockers work in the rear. All would require swapping things around.

To avoid swapping all that, you'd need to buy an ARB, TJM, or Harrop (Eaton) lockers for 33-spline applications.

Edited by hawairish

There were no OEM lockers for Nissans pre-04, except in the Patrol. 05+ have optional OE e-lockers in the M226 axles.

Switching to 31-spline would only be to use the lunchbox lockers or this Detroit. There are air and e-locker options for the 33-spline, just not lunchbox-style lockers.

Your LSD is clutch-based, not viscous. Yes, a front Lokka, in my opinion, is the next cheapest and reasonable traction upgrade for your setup.

Yes...er, both. You'd need 31-spline shafts to make the Detroit, Lock-Right, Spartan, and Lokka lockers work in the rear. All would require swapping things around.

To avoid swapping all that, you'd need to buy an ARB, TJM, or Harrop (Eaton) lockers for 33-spline applications.

OK. I was basically just looking at other options because I'm planning on rebuilding my LSD this year, and at the pricepoint of the Detroit I was willing to go that route, but by the time it's all said and done close to $1500 for ARB is a bit much for me right now. TJM is another air locker, right? What's the deal with the Harrop (Eaton) locker? What kind of locker is that?

Your LSD is clutch-based, not viscous.

Are you sure? I'm quite certain I have a VLSD... I don't know of any R50's that came with a clutch based LSD from factory.

Never mind, I found it online. Looks like that's a pretty expensive option too. I guess just rebuild the LSD will do it for now, and hopefully a Lokka up front as well.

Yeah, it's an e-locker based on the Eaton design. More expensive than an ARB, but about the same when you factor in everything needed for an air setup.

Are you sure? I'm quite certain I have a VLSD... I don't know of any R50's that came with a clutch based LSD from factory.

Very certain. I've rebuilt/repacked 4 of them in the past year or two. I'll send you a pic of the 20+ spare discs and a completed unit sitting on my workbench if you'd like. :D

I'm so confused, but this information gives a half-chub.

I always felt when it gripped on ice/snow/pavement for me I could feel an instant shift of power... I always figured it was just a really good VLSD. I'm still not sure if I believe you, what if my diff says use VLSD oil only? Is that because it works better for this purpose?

Metaphorically speaking, I'll let you spin your tires all you'd like on the discussion. Unless your Pathfinder badge says 300ZX, it doesn't have a VLSD...unless someone has swapped it into your front diff.

You could always check your FSM (PD-49) for disc and plate counts, but I compiled that info here when I was rebuilding a pair to swap into my truck and a buddy's truck.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

I'm so confused, but this information gives a half-chub.

I always felt when it gripped on ice/snow/pavement for me I could feel an instant shift of power... I always figured it was just a really good VLSD. I'm still not sure if I believe you, what if my diff says use VLSD oil only? Is that because it works better for this purpose?

If your diff says "Use VLSD oil only" I'd like to see that. I used to have a sticker on mine that just said "Use LSD oil only"

Word. Now, there are in fact orange Nissan stickers that do say "VISCOUS LSD", but they should only be found on the RWD cars that had R180/R200 rear diffs like the 300ZX, 240SX, a few Infiniti cars, and what not...just not in an H233B (or C200) rear diff found on trucks/SUVs.

Word. Now, there are in fact orange Nissan stickers that do say "VISCOUS LSD", but they should only be found on the RWD cars that had R180/R200 rear diffs like the 300ZX, 240SX, a few Infiniti cars, and what not...just not in an H233B (or C200) rear diff found on trucks/SUVs.

I must have been mixing it up with those, I also have a 240SX project car and have dealt with my fair share of Nissan differentials. :laugh:

Haha, seriously. And that's just the stuff I have laying around now, plus more drum brake stuff on a shelf. Anyone need anything? WD21 axle shafts perhaps? The LSD was rebuilt to 160 ft-lbs the other week, if anyone's interested.