Dodge Ram or Nissan Titan?

mudfinder

Sorry, I'm a Chevy fan. I don't understand how you want a Dodge yet dare to call GM vehicles something along the lines of crap. How long has it been since you've driven a Chevy Silverado? They're quite the pick-up and I can guarantee their quality is better than a Dodge, more brawny power than a Titan, looks better than a Tundra, and probably levels off with a Ford. I admit it, Ford's are just as good as Chevy in most aspects.

The Titan has a face only a mother could love. End of story.

A Dodge is powerful and also american, which is a huge plus in my book. However, mechanically they are not a reliable pick-up after 100,000 (or earlier in some cases).

Toyota's are nice, but not exactly a work truck. They are too plain in my opinion.

Ford F150 is a tremendously good choice. They look great, very reliable, and have plenty of power. A little in the higher end of the price range since it is still a relatively new model.

Chevy Silverado has the most options, so you can pretty much bend and shimmy a few options this way or that to compete with any other truck. They last long, solid looks, and lots of power (plenty to get you up and going on the onramp). They are also the ultimate work truck.

In conclusion, there is way too much information on this topic to speak of in a forum. Do your homework. That is the adventure of buying a new car. You have to realize that this is all my personal bias. I'll have to side with hardwaretoad... this is all an opinion-based thread- that's what you asked for. Good luck with your truck search.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only experience I have with new (pre 2000) trucks is the F150.

I cant belive that youd be nitpicking such small things on the Nissan and Dodge but Ford doesent have enough "buttons". Its a great truck, its super comfortable (first ride was a 550 mile trip across the state, and I was in the BACK seat), its got power and its looks great.

Im prolly the only one that thinks the new Nissan truck looks great, its the new face of trucks like it or not, smooth and refined.

I wouldent buy a dodge, never. My buddy had a 97 Durango and it was plauged with problems, then he gets that new Hemi Dodge and its fast, but thats about it, nothing over the top in terms of styling, comfort, or....buttons....

I dont know, mabey some of you have never owned a car....but to compare handling as good or bad between trucks is a joke. Blegh.

Id get the Nissan or the Toyota, hell, if its not going to do any serious offroading id consider the Honda.

Your piggy banks getting full. Here's my two pennies.

Hell, if it was me, Titan baby! If I ever went domestic, surely Chevy. Dodge.... maybe. "Found-On-Road-Dead":Ford, never. Tundra, too underpowered. But then again, Dodge is not what you drive, its what you do. :)

Off the subject:

Haha, you know what boggles me? Why haven't I ever seen a site where a Honda Pilot was taken off road?

Yeah, the Ridgelines are kinda cool just for new effect. I'd take a Tundra too, my dad had a 1981 Toyota pickup; he just sold it last year, never had any serious repair or maintenance and had a bazillion miles on it. Took it to the Toy dealership and they were just like... "Wow."

My brother in law has a Titan. Loves everything about it. He traded an 01 Pathy in for it. Beautiful truck with LOTS of space and power. I personally, (I'm in the minority here as well) love the look of the new Nissan trucks. My brother in law's Titan is base model, and I still think it looks better than most pickups on the road.

I will admit though, I am biased. I've never known anyone who had a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle that was reliable, and they've owned a wide variety of Daimler's rides.

Anyways, Mud, it's your call......cuz it's your $$$

Good luck.

Between the two I'd probably go with the Nissan, The only point I see in buying an american truck anymore is if your going to at least a 3/4 ton frame with a diesel, for some serious toy hauling.

For general drivability, endurance and longevity, I'd go with the Nissan, actually I'd go with the Tundra, but you know what I mean :-)

A fair amount of people have been pointing towards the Tundra. While its reliability and quality are certainly top notch, seems to me that it's a bit behind in the pick-up game. The 4.7 I-force v8 just can't keep up (power-wise, that is) with the newer offerings from other companies. And didn't Toyota just recently add full size reare doors? Other trucks have been sporting those for a while. Heck, even the smaller tacoma had 4 full doors before the tundra. The body styling of the Tundra is becoming dated also, seems like it may be time for toyota to do a little revamping. Of course, as has been said many times in this thread, it's your money and truck in the end, and this is just my 2 cents (give or take :D )

If I had to buy a truck right now, I'd go for a 4-door Tundra. It's smooth as a car and the ride is great. It doesn't tow as much as the others but I don't tow anything and it can still tow whatever most people would want to. They do need to update it though.

My second choice would be the Titan. The Ford is the coolest and has a really nice interior but Ford's revcall's are scary. I would probabaly go with the Chevy after that. I almost bought a black Z71 but the seats were so uncomfortable, I backed off after my second test drive. Then I ended looking at the Tundra and Pathy and bought the Pathy due to its greater versatility and the fact that a truck bed isn't as useful to me as fold-flat enclosed back seats.

My rankings since I keep my vehicles for a while and I DETEST visiting dealers/service departments:

Tundra/Titan

Chevy

Dodge

Ford

I would not buy the Dodge. That statement comes from nine years of auto sales. Overall I don't think the reliability is there,nor the re-sale value. I would not buy a brand new truck, if you are the kind of person who wants something new and likes to trade every few years the Lease a new truck but buying one especially with current gas prices is risky. If crude oil stays as high as it is gas prices will continue to rise and the re-sale on all trucks is going to suffer. Leasing protects you, the lease company takes the risk not you. :cool2:

What truck you buy depends on what you will do with it. You said that you would use it to tow your pathy or your boat. How much does the boat weigh? I'm a firm beleiver in buying used. I think you get the most bang for the buck, not to mention the fact that most trucks have never been off road or towed anything so you should be able to find something in great shape.

As far as what to buy if your doing light towing and little off road in the new truck I would go for a used Tundra, say what you want about it being under-powered but the 4.7 is a great engine, very smooth and reliable. Not to mention that the Tundras road manners can't be beat.

If you are doing alot of heavy towing or need more bed capacity I would go with a GM truck with the Duramax Diesel, the Allison trans and the Eaton diff. That would be a bullet proof truck that still gets decent mileage and will last forever. :aok:

:wacko: Well.. if you're going to tow with the new truck.. the Titan is the truck. More torque. Not to count reliability and great performance off road.

If you want pony power, then the Dodge.

Torque = tow power. :blink:

In the interest of fairness I offer the following from a "Leading Consumer Testing Institution":

Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500

"Our tested Z71 Silverado had a stiff, choppy ride ~ other trimlines ride slightly better. Braking is adequate, and fit & finish is unimpressive. The powertrain isn't as smooth as competing models from Toyota or Nissan. The Silverado's significant assets are a selectable, full-time, four-wheel-drive system and a generous load capacity. The Quadrasteer four-wheel-steering system is a costly option that eases maneuverability in tight places."

Dodge Ram 1500

"The overly hyped 5.7 liter Hemi V8 makes the Ram fairly quick but also very thirsty, averaging a paltry 11mpg. The 4.7 liter V8 and automatic transmission make a reasonably smooth combination. The pronounced exaust note sounds good to some. The Ram falls short of competing trucks, with a jittery ride, cumbersome handling, and a tight rear seat in the crew-cab. Braking performance was only adequate, with long stops. The view over the towering hood impeded visibility for short drivers. The cargo bed in the crew-cab version is longer than in competing models."

Ford F-150

"The F-150 rides more comfortably, handles more nimbly, and has a quieter, better-trimmed interior than the previous version. New features include moveable overhead storage bins, a spring-assisted tailgate, and a power-opening rear-window center panel. The four-wheel-drive system is part-time only. The powertrain is not as smooth as that in the Toyota Tundra, but it delivered reasonable acceleration and fuel economy (14mpg). Braking performannce was just adequate, with long stops in our tests. First year reliability of the 4WD version is below average. The 2WD version is average."

Honda Ridgeline

"The Ridgeline, Honda's first pickup truck, is a crew-cab body-style based on the Honda Pilot. It's unibody contruction includes a five-foot-long cargo bed that's made from a composite material and has no wheel arch intrusion. The rear seats flip up to create storage space. Below the cargo bed is a trunk that is weather-tight and lockable. The tailgate can open two ways: down & sideways. Towing is rated at 5,000 lbs. The all-wheel-drive system is permanent and lacks a low range. Stability control is standard."

Nissan Titan

"The Titan is Nissan's first entry into the full-sized truck category and it more than holds it's own against the competition. It has an impressively large cabin, is reletively agile, and has a fairly comfortable ride and a very smooth transmission. Safety features include optional electronic stability control (ESC) and head-protection airbags. The crew-cab's cargo bed is fairly small compared to the competition, and payload is a meager 1,105 lbs. The Titan's muscular V8 provides strong acceleration, but the constant engine & exaust noise can become tiresome."

Toyota Tundra

"Currently our top-rated full-sized pickup, the Tundra's Lexus derived V8 is smooth and quiet. 2005 brings a larger and more powerful V8 and a new 4.0 liter V6. The ride is civilized, the cabin is quiet and roomy in the crew-cab, and fit & finish is top-notch. The power-retractable rear window is a nice touch. The crew-cab has one of the longer beds in it's class. Four-wheel-drive versions perform well off-road. The extended-cab model has a cramped rear seat. Good offset-crash results are a considerable plus. Electronic stability control is available."

These are verbatim quotes, with no changes or personal views thrown in by me. In case you don't like 'em ~ too bad... :X

Edited by hardwaretoad

Yup, it would be the Tundra or Titan for me :)

I drove all but the new Ford and the Titan and Tundra felt way better and less jittery in 2WD mode. I hear the Ford drives well but that's the one I have not driven. Even if it drove as well that the Tundra, I would not buy it. I just can't afford the $$ and stress of things breaking down. If I made $200K a year, I may not care but I have to care at this point.

What I do appreciate is that people love their Chevys, Fords, and Dodges. I always like that and don't put them down. It's pretty cool how passionate guys can get about their trucks, especially the American brands.

On the news today they siad gas prices could go up to 3.00 a gallon. Take that how you want it, they are already 2.23 over here in WA.

The only Toyota Ive ever driven was a 2001 Lexus ES300, The engines in those are awsome, the build quality is top notch, and most of the stuff Lexus comes out with ends up in the Toyota lineup.

See, I totally dig the way the Titan looks from the front, but definitely not from the side...

Yes.. I think they look most buff up front.. that "don't mess with me" look. sly

and they are most plush inside.. and with a good exhaust system.. they sound sooo schweeeeeeeeeeet (neighbor has one and I drool daily)

Even though the Titan accelerates more quickly than the dodge?

well.. he wants to tow with it.. not race as far as I can tell (may be mistaken) if you want a race truck.. whip out the cash and get the SRT 10.. omg... those are FUN FUN FUN to drive..... -bounce-

I was just doing an across-the-board comparison based on towing, and the Nissan tops at 9500 lbs for ALL models, matched by 1 of the many Ford F150's but the other models run less, and the rest of the truck pack was lower and generally only had the max tow rating in 1 or a few of the models of their line. Wound end up with the Chevy Silverado at 9000 lb max, the Dodge 1500 at 8750, and the Toyota in the basement at 7100.

On an amusing note to the American flag waving truck elite, according to my reading, only the Nissan, Ford and Toyota can put an assembled in America tag without an asterik (*). Dodge splits production with US and Mexican factories, and Chevy splits with Canadian ones. Not that this is a hit on those countries at all, just a nod to the love the (*). Kinda like what will one day be in the record books next to Giambi (*), Bonds (*), Canseco (*),... :rolleyes:

well.. he wants to tow with it.. not race as far as I can tell (may be mistaken) if you want a race truck.. whip out the cash and get the SRT 10.. omg... those are FUN FUN FUN to drive..... -bounce-

I was merely pointing out that the Titan would be the truck of choice for towing and "pony power", not that it would be a race truck. ;)

I test drove the new F150, and the HEMI Ram today. the Ford was terribly under powered but had a nice interior. the Dodge had a simple interior but the HEMI had tons of power. The Dodge really got up and moved when i stomped on the gas. Still need to test drive the Titan.......

What is Nissan came out with its own sport truck to compete with the Dodge SRT10, the Ford Lightning SVT, and the Chevy Silverado SS. Haha, I'd buy a Nissan Titan SE-R Spec-V any day. :) That'll leave those others in smoke.

Edited by 90seven

I was merely pointing out that the Titan would be the truck of choice for towing and "pony power", not that it would be a race truck. ;)

Oh yes.. I know.. I was not tryin to be an a$$.. just stating the obvious.. my obvious anyway.. LOL... :)

hey guys, i have good news!!! i'm staying loyal to Nissan, i just made a deal this afternoon on a titan 4x2 se crew-cab, silver. it's going to arrive monday. i hope it's the one i want. i know it has the center console with the floor shifter, and most important the big tow package. i'm hoping it has the in dash six cd changer. other than that, it has everything i want. as far as the path goes. my folks are trying to convince me to sale it, but i'm refusing. i'm so excited, can't wait till monday!!