on board air tank

rudy_c

Hi everyone,

I have a 91 SE pathfinder and would like to add an air tank, but don't have a clue where it could fit.

Has anyone added an air tank? or do you just run a small compressor to refill tires after airing down?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

I run a Superflow MV50 to air up. I've never had a problem and it's faster than any other OBA/12v compressor that I've seen. The cheap compressors will give up after a few runs.

yea

i don't want to get a cheap air compressor for that reason.

i have been looking at the air zenith or a viair compressors but first i want to see if i can find a location to mount an air tank. if its possible with out mounting it in the cab.

I carry a Hazard Freight 750w inverter and a Homeless Despot 120v air compressor when I know I'll need to air up tires. Not built in and certainly not quick (the compressor was meant to run an air nailer or something) but it gets the job done eventually. I actually used it today to help a friend air up all eight (!) tires on his RV.

As for where to mount the tank, I would look at the floor underneath the rear seats. The driveshaft goes through the middle obviously but there should be some room on either side of it. I've also heard of people plumbing tube bumpers for on board air.

I've got the Pacbrake 2.5 Gallon On board air system on mine. My tank is on the passenger side bolted to the frame right next to my compressor under the back seats. Its a tight fit but it doesnt hang down below the frame. I use mine all the time and even added some air horns to play with. It runs to 140 PSI and does fine filling my tires and anything else I need. If your really worried about space you can get the 1/2 gallon tank, but i'd imagine your compressor would have to run most of the time to fill up tires.

Edited by RIPB.88

Can't help with tank placement, but if it's just for filling tires, you could go tankless. I use the same compressor as KovemaN, but mine's mounted and hardwired. The compressor is rather quick, too.

The problem with a tankless setup is that you need to control the compressor in some way...it'll obviously keep trying to pump air into a closed line when you remove the tire chuck. I use an adjustable pressure relief valve off a tee. When the line backs up to the set pressure, it just blows it off. This way I can leave the compressor running, drag my hose around the vehicle, attach to tire (this lock-on chuck has been great, btw), disconnect to check pressure, re-attach hose, etc.

thanks for the link ive been trying to find out the dimensions of the tank. do you happen to have any pictures of your set up RIPB.88

also

thats a great idea hawairish the pressure let off if cant get a tank under there.

• 4 weeks later...