Ecu temp sensor differences TX-18 vs TX-31

RCWD21

I've searched all over everywhere and I can't find a difference but what is the actual difference between the tx18 (vg30e) and the tx31 (vg30i) temp sensors besides the tx18 being in a coolant passage and the tx31 being in the cylinder head? Would using the tx18 on a vg30i engine cause any issues or does the ecu even care? I have a new tx18 sensor that I mistakenly ordered and realized my mistake when I double checked after I placed the order...

I don't know if the sensors themselves are different (I didn't even know they were different units), but I just checked the temp sensor check procedure from the '89 FSM against the '95:

'89 (EF&EC 99):

68°F = 2.3-2.7kΩ

122° = 0.77-0.87kΩ

176° = 0.30-0.33kΩ

'95 (EF&EC 133):

68°F = 2.1-2.9kΩ

122° = 0.68-1.0kΩ

176° = 0.30-0.33kΩ

Honestly it looks like it's the same sensor and Nissan just widened the acceptable tolerances in the later manual. Maybe manufacturing tolerances weren't what they were expected to be and they realized they'd replace fewer sensors under warranty if they expanded the "good" range a little.

If the external dimensions are the same, I would expect them to swap back and forth with no issues.

Just make sure you have an OEM Temp Sensor from Nissan.

The after-market one's do not last long and the difference in price is minimal. Mine died a year after install and others have had the same experience as I did with Temp Sensors.

Looks like I'll just use the sensor I already have then :)

And Pav I haven't had any issues using aftermarket temp sensors, although I only use one brand. There's an aftermarket sensor in my 90 and it reads the same as it did just a little over a year ago when I put it in. I guess I'm just lucky.

Either way thanks guys.

Just make sure you have an OEM Temp Sensor from Nissan.

The after-market one's do not last long and the difference in price is minimal. Mine died a year after install and others have had the same experience as I did with Temp Sensors.

:shrug: Mine has been in there... *lost track of the years* ...with no issue. It is a BWD iirc.