Possible Purchase

thorrinn123

Hi all I am looking at possibly buying a 2001 Pathfinder LE. Has 260000kms, everything looks ok only thing it has is a check engine light on for camshaft position sensor. Is this a easy fix or something to be concerned about?

He was originally asking for 1000.00 but I have talked him down to 600.00. He has put on new tires and new brakes.

Well, have you Googled how to change a camshaft position sensor, where it's located, how much the sensor is, or how much time a shop says it will take to change a sensor like that? Only you will know if it's an easy to change item based on your confidence in yourself and your mechanical abilities. Some people are able to rebuild engines and have it fire up the first time, and know they can do that and are therefore comfortable doing so. But then you have guys who only change their oil and brake pads, everything else they will have a shop do because they are not confident enough to fix it themselves. Only you can say where you fall along that spectrum, so do your do diligence and make the educated call.

As far as price, I'm surprised how cheap these things are going for. $600 is cheap! I paid $4400 for my 96 in 2010! These things have depreciated like rocks!

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Yes I have googled how to change the sensor and I have pretty good mechanical abilities do most of my own work on my vehicles so this wouldn't scare me. This will be a fun project for me as I have a daily driver already so this seems to be a pretty good deal even with the high mileage but for a 2001 I guess not too bad. Looking at what a few of the users on here have done to theirs has inspired me.

yes I was shocked he was willing to come down on price.....but he needs his parking space and obviously needs it gone. hopefully this weekend it will be parked at my place. even if I do some maintenance and cleaning up and don't care for it I can still get my money back. Do you need to put in 91 octane for this engine or can you use 87? might be a cost factor since it doesn't get great fuel mileage but then again it is a truck and I have a daily driver.

You can run 87, but the VQ35DE can monitor for knock and advance timing accordingly. Performance is noticeably improved with higher octane. To me at least, it's worth the difference.

well don't need a pathfinder for performance :) and as it won't be my daily just a winter project and fun vehicle I guess I can afford to fill it with premium .... as I won't be driving it daily

I'm with the other guys...that seems like a good deal, even if it does need some work.

Of course, do your due diligence on other factors before purchase. "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

• Get a CARFAX
  • Visually inspect VIN number plates for tampering or replacement. The General Information chapter of the FSM shows where all tags are located in the "Identification Information" section.
  • Ask your insurance agent to run a VIN check for thefts, claims, salvage titles, etc.

Come registration time, any unknowns may cost you big time (including confiscation of the vehicle if reported stolen!). If some guy was trying to sell me a truck for $1K, and was willing to drop 40% just to get a parking space...that's a red flag to me. (Of course, when living in Chicago, I saw parking spaces for condos going for $30K alone...no joke.)

Selling it for that low is already questionable. KBB says a 161K mile 2001 LE is worth $3K US by private sale in fair condition in NE Montana. That's about $4K CAN in Saskatchewan where it appears tagged. Doesn't it seem suspicious that he's willing to sell it for just over 1/8th its supposed value, (assuming we're talking CAN$)?

yes I know I will need to do a out of province inspection to get it registered and I will do some more checking and take it for a long test drive to see if it overheats or makes weird noises but even at this price it would make a good winter vehicle when the roads were bad with too much snow....and after seeing what everyone has done on here to theirs it gives me ideas even with a vehicle with the mileage and age.

I would want to do the regular maintenance on it to give me piece of mind and look at all the weak points that have been identified from other posts. I have read conflicting things about this engine overheating lots to others that have no issues.

Good deal. As long as you're giving it some thought.

Can't attest to the overheating. It's 100°F-120°F (38°-49°C) at least half of the year here in AZ, and I haven't experienced any problems on my 04 with 169K. It's all about maintenance.

Has rust under the rear flares and one of the front flares drivers side. Also rear windows go down but not up with the switch. Have to use drivers switch. Rear hatch won't unlock unless you use the key in the door. Has the dial 4x4 system is this any good? Are these all fixable issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for your maintenance items, I think you'll get a lot of answers, but really the best list you can get is probably from the Maintenance section in the FSM. This has all the general items to check. The Owners Manual has a similar section, "Maintenance and do-it-yourself". Both resources can be found online here: http://forums.nicoclub.com/pathfinder-qx4-general-information-and-q-a-t549378.html

Those other items seem trivial to me:

• Window switch may be bad, have a bad ground, or the switch may just need some cleaning. Although the driver's switch works, the module may also be the culprit as the other switches are tied to it (because of the window lock-out switch). The FSM explains the circuits clearly, and provides troubleshooting steps.
  • The rear hatch won't pop if the rear wiper is in use...or if the hatch thinks it's in use. Inside the wiper motor is a switch that is engaged when the wiper arm is resting on a black plastic piece below the window. Sometimes, the arm doesn't come to rest properly on it. Retry with the wiper arm in a better position (for testing, you can probably just let it rest below/off the resting piece). My truck had this problem; not only was the arm not resting properly, but the plastic housing on the wiper motor was cracked and preventing the internal switch from being engaged. I tightly taped it up (it wasn't very repairable by other means) and adjusted the arm position. No problems since.
  • There are some additional maintenance items on the "all-mode" 4wd system. When functioning properly, it should be no different than the part-time system. However, there are more switches and sensors on the system, so the system itself is prone to more failures. Be sure to test it. Find a dirt/grass lot and give it a go.

i appreciate all your help i know this is going to be my project vehicle just hate seeing the rust :)....and all the little things not working but thats what this is about learning and reading and asking questions of you pathfinder owners and getting help.