Acceleration Ticking 04 Pathy

DivaD

Hi All..had a look around the site & can't see this addressed anywhere for 04's so here's hoping there's help within The Forum. Have had plugs changed & put Seafoam in gas tank.

Mileage: 240,000km

Plugs changed: 239,000km

Ticking started: 238,000km

Ticking sounds only in 1st gear upon acceleration & then stops. Then in 2nd gear upon acceleration.

Seafoam: put in fuel tank at 240,000km & has improved slightly in the first 1/4 tank used.

Would like to hear from others on their experiences & fixes. Thanks in advance.

Ok. Can you describe the ticking sound? Is it metallic? A soft puff puft sound? Hard metal on metal sound? Any idea of direction it is coming from; front or rear, left side right side? Able to hear windows closed/open? Over radio or only when it's quiet?

Need more info to Internet diagnosis.

Sent from fat fingers on S6

are the ticks faster with higher rpms of the engine or higher speed of the vehicle ? This will help determined if it is engine related or rotating parts related.

S.

Ok. Can you describe the ticking sound? Is it metallic? A soft puff puft sound? Hard metal on metal sound? Any idea of direction it is coming from; front or rear, left side right side? Able to hear windows closed/open? Over radio or only when it's quiet?

Need more info to Internet diagnosis.

Almost reminds me of a rattling sound & yes, metal. It only happens at the START of acceleration in the lower gears & as speed increases it stops. If I let rpm's decrease (take foot off accelerator pedal) then punch it it rattles only until rpm's increase.

Mechanically inclined friend calls it pinging if that's of any help.

Edited by RedPath88
Merged quote with direct reply post and consecutive posts

No codes? If they are saying it's pinging that's basically engine knock from fuel and timing. Are you running 91 octane or higher? If your running 87 the 3.5 doesn't like it very much and you will have knock from the fuel not burning at the rate the engine desires.

However if it retarded the ignition that much. You will also notice a lack of power.

On that note is this within the start of a recent gas fill up or been through several tanks? If several same gas station?

Can you record a video of it and post it? Just upload to YouTube.

No codes? If they are saying it's pinging that's basically engine knock from fuel and timing. Are you running 91 octane or higher? If your running 87 the 3.5 doesn't like it very much and you will have knock from the fuel not burning at the rate the engine desires.

However if it retarded the ignition that much. You will also notice a lack of power.

On that note is this within the start of a recent gas fill up or been through several tanks? If several same gas station?

Can you record a video of it and post it? Just upload to YouTube.

That does sound like preignition aka "pinging" ... well, not literally sound like since we're trying to diagnose by way of text :)

But here's what it sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xTWHJADFe8

The video describes this as detonation/knocking, but when an engine does that it sounds almost like a diesel engine. The rattling/pinging sound is preignition and can be caused by deposits or too-hot spark plugs. Detonation/knocking can be caused by bad gas or fuel that doesn't have a high enough octane rating for the compression ratio (and/or boost if it's forced induction). Either can be caused by ignition that is too advanced, depending on how too-advanced it is. Heat is another factor that can cause either.

No codes run. Wouldn't have a fuzzy clue of octane levels. There is no lack of power. Started on a 3000km round trip, so several fill-up locations. My computer skills do not extend to taking & posting videos on U-tube. Thanks anyhow.

Edited by RedPath88
Merged quote with direct reply post and consecutive posts

When you get gas and you select your grade or hit the button are you selecting which number? 87 89 90 91 93?

You replaced the plugs with which ones?

I run regular fuel. That's what it's called in west Canadian provinces. I replaced plugs with NGK's but the ticking sound started about 1500kms before that. Plugs have made a slight difference & as posted earlier, put Seafoam in a full gas tank & have used 1/4 of the tank. Perhaps too soon to see if any gunk has been cleaned off??

Running 87 won't cause it to pre detonate as it will adjust the timing to compensate. Unless something is wrong there.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Again hard to diagnose over the interwebs. But I'm wondering if he got some bad gas and built up some deposit.

Fuel dispenser filters are commonly 10 micron. Very few places run smaller than that.

I know you have a bottle of seafoam in. Run this tank down. Then before next fill up. Put a full bottle of Chevron ProGuard w Techron in. And fill up with highest grade. Should be 91 or 93.

I know the 3.5 will run on 87. But at least mine runs like poop on it.

when was the last time the oil was changed? I do have a different engine than yours, however this might be relevant. Mine will have a similar sound when I'm getting close to the regular scheduled oil change, when that is done the noise goes away.

when was the last time the oil was changed? I do have a different engine than yours, however this might be relevant. Mine will have a similar sound when I'm getting close to the regular scheduled oil change, when that is done the noise goes away.

Excellent point!

Seriously? Mine has a chattering sound that I have only recently started to hear and get worse and I'm way overdue! Huh, might have to try this today.

Thanks for chiming in!

-Kyle