AC Lift strut failure cause steering issues?

tdurb1327

I installed the AC lift last year with the KYB struts up front. I noticed the top out right away but didn't care cause it's lifted! So after a few months of my 16 yo son driving it, i think they are shot already. He likes to drive hard and fast in the mud. The struts have oil by the strut Pistons and it makes horrible banging. That was going on for a while but now the steering is all screwed up. It will pull hard to whatever side you are turning. You basically have to hold steering wheel with both hands. So now it is parked cause it's a danger. Any ideas what went wrong ? I'm thinking it might have to do with the struts/strut bearings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duplicate deleted - Please refresh your view before reposting the same content again.. yes even if Tapatalk gives an error.

EDIT: That's on top of the 3 others that nunya had already removed!

• Like 1

Could be multiple things. But blown shocks wouldn't act like that. Check the tie rod ends and ball joints. While down there check the LA bushings.

#1 possibility is he completely destroyed the rack and pinion bushings

Sent from fat fingers on S6

If the alignment is good (you need to have it checked), but it goes nuts when turning, then the ackerman is screwed up and that only happens when things are bent.

I think your son has been way too crazy with this pathfinder.

If the alignment is good (you need to have it checked), but it goes nuts when turning, then the ackerman is screwed up and that only happens when things are bent.

I think your son has been way too crazy with this pathfinder.

Agreed... maybe he needs a WD21 to learn on?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

He needs a tank lol! He breaks everything! I checked the power steering fluid and it is dark brown and looks bad. Could that be the simple fix? Drain it and change? What is the Ackerman btw?

Ackerman is the caster angle of alignment. It's how far forward or back the wheel is on its axis. If the caster is suddenly off its because of an impact that pushed the tire(s) back a little.

To clarify, Ackerman angle isn't the same thing as caster. Ackerman angle refers to the difference in the steering angle between left and right wheels when turning. When making tight turns, the inside wheel travels a smaller radius than the outside wheel. Ackerman angle is a function of the design of the steering system. It's generally not adjustable in the same way that alignment (caster, camber, toe) is. On the R50, only TOE is adjustable with factory-original equipment, but camber can be corrected with aftermarket "camber bolts". Caster is not adjustable.

As Kingman pointed out earlier, if caster is out of spec, something in the suspension or steering is likely damaged or worn.

I would probably recommend taking the car to a repair shop that specializes in alignments and suspension and have them take a look at it to find the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I replaced tie rod ends, ball joints and sway bar link ends. Just got back from alignment but still having same issue steering real hard to one side or the other. Shop said everything was tight. I replaced power steering fluid and noticed small air bubbles along with dark fluid. I changed that out with Lucas power steering stop leak stuff. It didn't fix the problem. There is a whining noise close to full turns in park?

So I think it's power steering pump or hopeful not the rack. Any other ideas?

The bushing under the oil filter is coming apart around the edges and covered in oil. The other one looks good. I bought the bushings but decided to not go that route just yet. Seems like a lot of work? Do you have to disconnect the power steering lines to do it or the steering linkage?

Nope. Pull the mounts for the rack. You can then pull it away from the frame just far enough to remove the old ones. The you basically just wrap/rotate the new ones on. The driver side does have to be in a specific position though. You can wipe em down with some dish soap to make em easier to slide on. Doesn't take long.

Sent from fat fingers on S6

Ok. I replaced tie rod ends, ball joints and sway bar link ends. Just got back from alignment but still having same issue steering real hard to one side or the other. Shop said everything was tight. I replaced power steering fluid and noticed small air bubbles along with dark fluid. I changed that out with Lucas power steering stop leak stuff. It didn't fix the problem. There is a whining noise close to full turns in park?

So I think it's power steering pump or hopeful not the rack. Any other ideas?

That whine from the power steering pump at full lock turn is normal. It's just the pressure in the system getting very high. All cars do that.