Does anyone have their R50's corner weights?

jyeager

I'm contemplating custom coils rather than the usuals...

So I wonder if anyone has ever gotten corner weights?

Or, as an alternative, can you say authoritatively what the stock spring rates are?

I would want replacement springs that maintain the stock rate, but lift 1-2"...which means a longer free height.

Also, if anyone has gone the route of custom coils, do you have a recommended vendor?

Thanks!

Ah yes! Very great idea...

I would like to also do a SFD, so the rear springs would need 6" of spacers. :(

BTW, are there spacers for us that go inside the top-hat?

I only recall seeing spacers for above the strut...

Thanks.

6" spacer for rear would require a welded one. Otherwise you risk some funny movement and it possibly popping out.

As for lift with stock ride. That can be achieved with OME springs. Most say they ride better than stock and handling is better. Those of use with IronMan springs love em. But getting those in the US is pretty hard atm.

Sent from my Moto X

Above the strut is where you would want the spacer anyway, as to put it between the coil and top hat would limit travel and create top out. This also maintains stock ride.

Right, but you don't want to stack a 4" spacer and 2" spacer up there, do you?

Everything mentioned seems spot on but hold on a minute...

I'm contemplating custom coils rather than the usuals...

So I wonder if anyone has ever gotten corner weights?

Or, as an alternative, can you say authoritatively what the stock spring rates are?

I would want replacement springs that maintain the stock rate, but lift 1-2"...which means a longer free height.

Also, if anyone has gone the route of custom coils, do you have a recommended vendor?

Thanks!

Ah yes! Very great idea...

I would like to also do a SFD, so the rear springs would need 6" of spacers. :(

BTW, are there spacers for us that go inside the top-hat?

I only recall seeing spacers for above the strut...

Thanks.

Hey now, don't go changing the question! Which is it?

Point is, really, that there is more than one way to get there for the 1-2" lift you were first talking aboot. SFDs are quite common now, have several write ups as well.

B

Everything mentioned seems spot on but hold on a minute...

Hey now, don't go changing the question! Which is it?

Point is, really, that there is more than one way to get there for the 1-2" lift you were first talking aboot. SFDs are quite common now, have several write ups as well.

B

Not changing the question! :)

I want 6" of lift....4 inch SFD, plus 2 more inches.

That's usually done with the SFD and AC springs (up front)

The suggestion was to use a spacer with stock springs....can't do that in this situation because it wouldn't be wise to add a 2" spacer with a 4" spacer...

So the question, stated another way, is: how do I get a 2" spring lift with stock(ish) spring rate?

1) custom coils

2) someone suggested the OME springs...not quite 2" of lift, but perhaps a good compromise.

Thanks!

I saw no mention of a future SFD in the original post.
Stock springs with spacers would be the correct answer to your first post.
When you mention a SFD, that does change things.
State it in your first post if that's the route you're going.

Edited by Precise1
against the rules

I was trying to keep the question as simple as possible...Probably should have stopped at just asking for corner weights. :)

Edited by Precise1

I was trying to keep the question as simple as possible...Probably should have stopped at just asking for corner weights. :)

The point is really that it confuses the thread; next you have people answering the different questions back to back and it seems conflicting.

Lets just let it lie and move on, shall we?

B

Edited by Precise1
  • Like 1

Question: Why do you want to maintain the same spring rate as OEM?

I don't have a strong conviction about the spring rate...just that the stock springs have a pretty soft and compliant ride on the road. I would expect the AC springs with a fairly high spring rate, relative to stock, would change the ride quality...not sure if it would bother me..perhaps I'd like it. I can't really say because I've not ridden in a Pathfinder equipped with them.

What are your thoughts on spring rate as it relates to riding off road? Does the higher rate spring give better off-road performance, or does it toss you back and forth a lot as one front wheel rides over something? (I would assume the sway bar is disconnected...leaving it connected wouldn't really let the springs operate independently).

There's no difference between 2" of lift with and without the 4" SFD spacer...that's the purpose of angling the 4" SFD spacers, and the whole point of SFDs (aside from the obvious 4" of lift). Just figure out how you want that extra 2".

1. 2" spacer + stock springs

2. 1" spacer + OME

3. AC springs only

#1 appears to be what you want. All net about the same lift, all are near the upper limit before the CVs get wonky. Only #3 has reports of strut top out. The top hat spacers you mentioned may also introduce top out...NX4 sells them.

I don't think stacking spacers is unwise its at all. The way I see it:

1. You're already going to end up using twice as much hardware as before with an SFD. That's already twice as many points of failure...without an additional spacer.

2. When the spacers are stacked, there's no where for the spacers to go...they're sandwiched by the weight of the vehicle, and then sandwiched by the hardware. As such, you should be avoid any spacers made from wood, styrofoam, graham crackers, or concrete, no matter how unique or tempting the opportunity may be. Ask me how I know.

3. Even with a tire in the air, it's pulling down maybe 150lbs, tops, on 3 bolts (even though you've got 6 bolts, you've got 2 sets of 3 bolts working independently). When that tire lands, the strut and spring do all the work. As long as the spacers doesn't collapse, there's no problem.

4. Afraid of them toppling out? Only if you decide to use the strut as a winch point and pull sideways...

5. And even then...Grade 8 (or Class 10.9) hardware. Even if one bolt were to shear or distort somehow, at least 2 other bolts would also have to. Pulling/pushing the spacers sideways would be the only time the bolts are working in unison. If this fails, you've got a much larger problem on your hands (i.e., your truck fell off a cliff, truck got t-boned by a train, Wile E Coyote put TNT in your wheel well to catch that damned roadrunner).

6. And even then, again...I don't know the stock strut mounting hardware size, but I'm under the impression they're 10mm. Consider boring to 12mm or 1/2". I run 2" of stacked spacers with Class 10.9 12mm hardware.

Your only concern, as I see it, is figuring out how to get 6" of rear lift. This is where I would not stack spacers.

• Like 1

Oh, and best bet to reference the stock spring rates is go by the stock info that OME and Monroe provide. They're in listed in the full OME catalog (I think), and on a post here on NPORA somewhere. I'll try to post them up later...they're bookmarked on my other pooter.

R3DN1CK, I appreciate the spirit of your post, but that is really the opposite of letting things go... so I hid it.

On further review, I just cleaned things up in general...

B