Mountain bike mount built off the sparetire carrier?

Dma251

Anyone have any ideas or experience with fabricating a mount for a single adult mountainbike?

I'm considering a 2" squaretube coming out from the center of the spare with a rubber-lined clamp at the end that will grip the centertube of the bike. I would like to make it narrow enough for the tire to slide off over it, need be.

I think I'm gonna break out the welder tomorrow..... ;)

I imagine it would be hard to tie a bike down to a 2" surface tight enough to stop it from pitching forward and backward (relative to the bike). Making some kind of support beam/clamp parallel with the bike (removable to get the tire off) might make for a much more stable mount. Maybe have a T-shaped section that slides into the 2" tube like a trailer hitch, or a piece of pipe that slides through the sides of the 2" tube and locks down with a bolt or a cotter pin? Easy enough to remove the cross piece if you need to get at the tire.

Of course, there's a very real chance that I'm overthinking this.

The funny thing is that I keep looking at a hacked-up bike frame a friend gave me and thinking that if I put lug studs where the crank used to be, and welded mounting plates where the handlebars and front fork used to be, it would make a half-decent tire carrier for the Scout.

There are a few Heeps around here that have bike carriers mounted to their spares. The two styles I've seen either mount around the tire or have a hub connector and removable pipe (pics below for inspiration).

SR1-02.jpgSG64920_spare_tire_bike_racks01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If like to suggest a hitch mount basket (if you have a hitch that is). I can secure 2 bikes to mine, or use it for firewood, going to the pick a part... Etc etc