I love this site!

PamPoovey

I just wanted to say thank you to all you helpers! You are all so kind, have patience, very respectful (you know, a lot of guys have it hard to believe that this girl works on her own truck when she can) and are tremendous!

I spent the last many hours learning how to replace my belts since the fan clutch failed and it's been two years since the belts where last done and were showing wear, even if I don't post seeking help, I can always find what I need on this site! And if I can't, you are all so wonderful and quick to help!

You guys rock!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sleep:

• Like 1

Personaly I just joined this site to meet girls....I guess it worked, nice to meet you!

If your belts are wearing that fast you might need to tighten your tensioner.

Edited by kdj

You are welcome, and certainly not the first or last female to join. ;)

Agreed, most 'common' topics already exist, along with some obscure ones as well. Glad you are finding what you need! :aok:

B

Personaly I just joined this site to meet girls....I guess it worked, nice to meet you!

If your belts are wearing that fast you might need to tighten your tensioner.

Thank you for the advice, my fan clutch failed in December and this was the first week of above freezing temperatures, which is why I decided to change all the belts at once. I figured the fan clutch having siezed and continuing to drive it, it did a number on that belt anyhow.

Thank you for your kind words...and yes, I am single! LoL I love my truck, and even if I wasn't skint, I'd still want to drive it! I would just have it painted like Optimus Prime with all the flames, that's the only difference if I had huge cash flow! LoL

Single and own a Pathfinder? Back off boys she's mine! Sorry just kidding. But even if your fan clutch is seized it shouldn't wear out your belts. The belts are run by the pulleys whether your fan is turning or not. Maybe your idler pulley is seizing up? Any squeeling?

Edited by kdj

LoL you're fun, kdj!

Prior to the fan clutch replacement, the engine just sounded like it was reviving super high, there was no squealing. I just assumed that the belt would had taken a beating from being driven from the point where the fan clutch failed in December, until now. There is a slight squeal now, I can't figure out if the belt is making it from the alternator area, or the fan clutch area. It is nice to see that the fan clutch moves freely now!

So what are you thoughts, kdj???

It could very well be a belt, I'm just saying with my 3.3 it was the idler pulley for the serpentine belt. The 3.5 in my new truck just started doing the same thing last week and the belts are fine...so I know the problem with mine. When the snow melts down a bit more here I'll be taking all the AC stuff off of mine and I'll fix it then.

I may be an idiot. Now before everyone agrees, do you have a 3 or a 3.3 liter? If it's a 3 litre-then yes I am. They don't have an idler if I now remember correctly. Just three V belts. But the 3.3 has two, one on the AC belt and one on the water pump/alt. belt. On my last truck (3.3L) it was the idler for the wp/alt belt. I have a 3 a 3.3 and a 3.5L and I haven't seen any of them since I last pried my hood open with an ice scraper to check if it was a belt. .

3.0 has 3 v-belts, only the A/C one has an idler, they commonly just make a slight grinding sound. Not even something to really worry about. I replaced mine because goodyear idler pulleys were on sale at partsource...

• Like 1

Thanks Adam...It's been a long time since I had the 3L apart. I'm looking forward to digging into this new 3.5 soon though! When I start it and it squeels it makes the pedestrians in ear shot jump.