It's a pathy, it's a diesel, it's a pathy it's a diesel....it's a pathy with no power.

SO i had a fun drive to work this morning! I don't think I've ever seen any car do that before but then I've never had a Pathfinder before either. Drove to work in the truck like usual except every time I hit a bump the volt meter would jump. Loud enough to make noise when it bounced off of the top of the gauge.... that scared the cr!@p out of me the first time. I had a minute of "Transformers" panic when the machines started to show a lot of attitude and feared for my life (for a sec). The truck kept bouncing the meter kept bouncing and now the truck doesn't appear to want to do anything including light any lights..... i guess I'm welding a steel plate onto the truck and hoping that'll fix it. yay me.

Update: I can hear the fuel pump running, and see the dash clock backlight but nothing else. Fuses have not been checked but I suspect that the fusible links at the battery are toast from the bouncing around.

Thanks adamzan! I just patched in a piece of 16gauge wire but I have no idea if that is safe/legal/ a good idea. I did get him to turn on, run and drive the 6 feet into the shop but I have no idea if it can make it back home tonight. On a side note, would you have an inner fender that we could get off to replace the one that is split 18 out of the 24" that's on the truck now??

So your battery grounded out due to the inner-fender ..less nature of your region? If so then yeah, check those fusible links. Given that a piece of wire installed to bypass the link fixed it then, definitely. I would replace them with proper links asap, as they are there to prevent damage to other systems during a spike.

Adam to the rescue! If not I think mine cost me 30-40 usd at a local dealer a few years ago. 36 seems to stand out in my mind, but honestly I do not remember for sure.

An easier (but not as sure fire) method is to use a voltmeter. Take a battery voltage reading with the truck off, and then again while the truck is running. If it goes up while running chances are your alt is fine.

• Like 1

It should read anywhere from 13-14+ volts depending on what you have on. Nothing higher than 15 though. Mine currently dips down below 12 at idle with the rear defrost on. I'm going to swap it with the one from my parts truck so I can warranty replace this one. (again...)