xdvious

I have a 97ti pathy

it is automatic

3 gears and an overdrive which is like 4th gear

i believe this has a lock up stall convertor

as you drive at any speed above 40km. enough to change into 4th gear

with the overdrive button on,, as the auto changes from 3rd gear to the 4th

you feel the vehicle start shuddering for 1 to 1.5 seconds

it is getting louder now and you can feeel the vibration..

anyone else experience this???

• 3 years later...

I was getting similar effects when the weather got cold after I had the extra trannie cooler put on. The fluid was not getting hot enough. A winter front helped, as did including the stock cooler in-line with the external. The stock is part of the rad, so gets warm in winter, warming the fluid.

last winter there were no problems, or it was not evident.

today i changed ATF with castrol dexron III, identical to nissan fluid, shifting is smoother but vibraiton is still there.

I made two different service shops check my car,,driving as i instructed, both conclusion is to open and check torque converter and disks inside transmission, there is a hight probability of worn clutch disks and a stuck valve inside torque converter... It will cost me %10 of value of this car,(lets say 1500 to 2000 USD) so wonder if it is reasonable to keep car and fix it or get rid of it. two different issues.

I spent lots of efforts in past two years, i never be harsh on transmission but look,it fails.. this pisses me of. :oops:

• 1 month later...

my transmission has been under servicefor 1 week. every elements inside transmission has been replaced including selenoid o rings. now it is like neew and acceleration is better and car seems much more relaxed. i saw that clutch bands were worn out.

• 1 month later...

after overhauling, i was happy with my transmisison but... after 2000 miles it returned back. so bad... it seems problem is not directly related to worn out clutch bands or other elements.

i dont think that transmisison can be worn out this fast. only 2000 miles. i drive smoothly and relaxed. i feel problem is in somewhere else. but i really dont know now. i am really disappointed today.

about drive shaft,i think it is ok, no vibration on any speed; and it was ok after overhauling, nobody touched it, same shaft installed and it was still ok until this morning. shuddering/vibration returned back. as it appeared 5 months ago.

may be, due to complete flushing of oil and fresh ATF make it better for some time and real reason appeared after 2000 miles once more. Increasing shift quality and better acceleration is only side effects of overhauling procedure. main reasons didnt cured in the end.

If you're not using an external oil cooler for the transmission, make sure that the radiator isn't leaking coolant into the transmission lines.

Coolant contaminated ATF will cause a shudder

You can tell by the ATF turning from a red color to a pink milkshake consistancy.