oddness

discobandaid01

ok.. my battery light a/t oil temp light and brake light all came on the other day..alternator right ...so replaced with napa alt..didnt look exactly like the one i took out but they said thats was the right one..put it in started it up everything worked fine ..turned it off and the battery light came on..was on while it was running ..asked napa wtf.. they are clueless so ..tested the battery checked out fine ..so any idea what isnt right,,

^exaclty, and when checking the connections, take a good look at the ground strap for the battery and it's connections at the chassis/motor.

A cheat test is the battery at rest, 12.5ish volts in good shape, VS 14 volts running if charging and

B

so after looking at the old vs. new alt..i realized that the guys at napa sold me a 60 amp vs the 70amp that i took out I'm thinking this might have something to do with the problem so pulled it back out but the new and what I'm sure is the right one wont be here till Tuesday morning..what do you guys think? oh..and now that i have drove it on a 60 amp..is there anything that i should be worried about..like fuses or ANY other electrical issues that I should be concerned with or check..and thanks guys for all the help..(oh and the first post i made a type o..wasnt on while running) the light is only on when i turn it off...

Edited by discobandaid01

While ten less amps doesn't sound like much it could be causing the problem. You should just return it and buy a 93 maxima vg30 alternator. It is a bolt in swap other than swapping pulleys and you get 90 amps. Best of all it is usually cheaper than the pathfinder one!

• Like 2

Running the lower amp unit won't hurt anything, and probably wasn't the issue (if it functioned correctly), as running a higher amp won't hurt. The amp rating just stated how much power it can provide if needed, it isn't being forced anywhere.

Look at it this way, Watts=Volts X Amps. The electrical systm is 12 volts (yes, they tend to run slightly higher, but the point is that it doesn't change) times 60 or 70 amps = 720 or 840 watts respectively of the maximum power they can supply. Your vehicle doesn't use all of it unless you have high draw aftermarket items.

B

hmmm..so what could be causing my battery light to come on after i turn the car off..and the maxima one does fit and is cheaper but the pulley is not the right size ..and napa does carry the right size the one off the core alt is worn out probably the original ...so ? just paying the extra $$ to get the one that doesnt need tweeking on "pulley" back back to the battery light...I'm not a mechanic by any means or an electrician..so help me out ..I have checked wires contections battery its self , the hook up of the alt everything i could think of..other then the computer itself..see if its having a code pop up..

Check the fuseable links coming off of the battery. I believe it is the black conector. Possibly check where the connector bolts to the battery terminal. Clean it all up good. I'm not saying that will fix it, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Edited by RF600
  • Like 1

You turn the ignition off and then the battery light comes on? :scratchhead: +1 for checking the battery voltage with the engine off, but it seems like even if it was way high or way low it wouldn't put the light on when the ignition wasn't on. The fact that it's then staying on when you turn the ignition on again just makes it weirder.

Hopefully there's just something weird with the alternator and the new one fixes it.

ok fellow pathfinder's..got the new replacement alt for "big rusty" (our sons pet name for our pathfinder)..this one is the 70 amp not the 60amp that napa gave me the first.. the battery light is gone..lol..dont know why the 60 amp alt would cause this oddity but replace it with the right one and problem solved..so fyi...dont put a 60 in your pathy if its an automatic trans..and thanks again for all the input guys..

^+1, sounds like an alternator fault rather than an issue with the amperage being low. Good to hear it's fixed though!

Agreed. This kind of thing is rare. Even if you put a 60 amp on it, it probably would not give you a problem. Good to hear it's fixed.

When one of my alt's was acting up, the battery light NEVER came on, not even when the key was on with the truck off. I thought the bulb was dead, until the alt quit and I replaced it, and then the light works again....